Thoughts on Franco Serblin Lignea?

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having now moved from a multi box box system, my thoughts turn towards possible replacements for my Raidho X1s. I've had these now for 5+ years. They are truly exceptional performers and I wouldn't want to lose too much of their performance, especially in the mid/HF area in which they excel. However, the room they're in is now all light colours and oak and the X1s are black, so I'd like to maybe move to something more aesthetically pleasing whilst maybe being a lift in SQ as well? I don't listen at high volumes and my amp will drive more or less anything that might be suggested.

I've seen the Franco Serblin Lignea, which are mightily good looking speakers. Nearest dealer is a considerable distance though, so I'd be interested on the thoughts of anyone who's heard these.

I'm also considering Vivid, maybe a V1.5Se or maybe Kaya S12 (if I can find suitable stands that aren't like the horrible Vivid ones!) or even a Kaya 25.

Open to other suggestions (not the usual suspects though of Harbeth, PMC, etc etc). They must be visually attractive, physically 'compact' and of high performance. Budget is up to £10k for something really special, preferably £5-6K.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve not heard the Lignea, but I heard some early Ktema soon after they began importing them. I’d never heard of the brand back then, but I knew of Serblin’s reputation very well because I owned Sonus fabers. Now that Sf are under the Fine Sounds umbrella, Absolute Sounds are giving Franco Serblin speakers the attention they long deserved.

The Essence is the star in my eyes, but the Accordo seems to me potentially the rightful inheritor of the Guarneri series mantle. If you have a look over on the Sonus faber owners thread, you see I recently bought some Guarneri Mementos for within your budget. https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/threads/sonus-faber.58262/page-5

The Guarneri of various eras appear for sale from time to time, and there are some immaculate Electa Amator II on eBay today.

I would definitely take a day’s drive, or even an overnight to hear them properly. Can’t think of much else that’s comparable, though I saw yesterday that Fanthorpes are selling the original KEF Reference 1 for under £5k now the Meta model is imminent. But they aren’t Italian!

Last edited:

triumph

daytona600
Wammer
Nov 18, 2016
Up North
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Opera Callas - Italian

diptyque dp77 - French - almost any colour/finish

Attachments

• P1040226.jpg
    P1040226.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 19
  • diptyque-dp77-anniversary-hab-web-1.jpg
    diptyque-dp77-anniversary-hab-web-1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 18

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you still love your Raidhos, why not consider spending less than the cost of a replacement and have the cabinets re-veneered in a finish that is more in keeping with your new home aesthetic? Unless you are absolutely sold on the idea of changing speakers, of course - sometimes that change can be invigorating

Reactions: DomT

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you still love your Raidhos, why not consider spending less than the cost of a replacement and have the cabinets re-veneered in a finish that is more in keeping with your new home aesthetic? Unless you are absolutely sold on the idea of changing speakers, of course - sometimes that change can be invigorating
The cabinets are not veneered! I have thought about a pair of XT1s in white though.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The cabinets are not veneered! I have thought about a pair of XT1s in white though.
No OK, but what I meant was that they could be, if that would make them fit in with your decor. Or you could find someone to spray and lacquer them. Or wrap them in a different colour. There are possibilities that mean you wouldn't necessarily have to part with them if you still love the way they sound.

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No OK, but what I meant was that they could be, if that would make them fit in with your decor. Or you could find someone to spray and lacquer them. Or wrap them in a different colour. There are possibilities that mean you wouldn't necessarily have to part with them if you still love the way they sound.
Yes, I understand what you're saying, but the cabinet material/structure is integral to the speaker's performance, so that's a non starter. Appreciate the spirit of your post though (y)

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For those that may be interested: I did get to audition the Ligneas.

These are really beautiful speakers, very nicely made and finished. Really quite small. They sound really nice and open, but clearly have limited scale and bass, although more than acceptable. A nicely balanced sound, as well. Compared to my Raidho? No contest, the X1s out perform them in every single respect, other than aesthetics. The Ligneas are definitely worth considering though; especially for smaller rooms and relaxed listening. They offer great performance, especially for a room where good sound and great aesthetics have to co-exist.

I've heard Boenicke speakers in the past; not for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.