Time alignment and depth of sound stage, especially when going active

Shadders

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wilson, Avalon, Hyperion, kawero …my pics of the Munich show would surprise you of how many
Hi,
I ran a quick check on the last 12 issues of Hifi News, and 18 are not time aligned, and 4 are time aligned, essentially 18%. Which is a higher number than expected.

I am not surprised that time alignment is not discussed, as peoples ears are not that sensitive as they believe they are. If there was a product that could "time align" your existing design, i am sue people would be concerned about it, as the product implies imperfection in their existing speakers.

It does seem to be, if there is something to sell, then there is a problem to be solved. If there is no after market product, then there is no issue.... probably.

Regards,
Shadders.

Fatmarley

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 12, 2008
Gloucestershire
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Of course,

My issue is that I don’t get why mechanical TI exists, is it actually possible to hear the difference of the CPS between a tweeter/mid?

Like I said in a previous post, It's purely to help achieve phase alignment throughout the crossover. There are other ways, like asymmetrical crossovers, ladder delay networks, or just using a high order crossover.

Shadders

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do you go to hifi shows/bake-offs? do you only read product reviews and magazine news?
Hi,
No, i don't go to bake off's or hifi shows. I build my own hifi, so i purchase Hifi News as it has the most informative reviews on equipment from a technical aspect. If what i have built does sound dire i can change it. Yet, i have not heard anything dire, just a different presentation. I am not one for chasing the perfect sound.

Regards,
Shadders.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On this point we should mention the Line Array option, such as the Dali Megaline. This type produce a cylindrical waveform as opposed to a spherical waveform of a conventional speaker, minimising boundary interaction.
I find Line Arrays fascinating and if I ever had to get rid of the horns I would be looking at the Megalines and similar designs. The Megaline, though having umpteen drivers is basically a 2 way active with an 8ft ribbon - oh yes!

Jack NSM

Keele's Constant Beamwidth Transducers would be a good candidate:

https://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/CBT.php

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sloping baffles are not the only way of achieving time alignment, Amphion put the tweeter in a horn which places it at the same depth as the woofer point source. Mission's inverted tweeter positioning made the distance to the tweeter slightly longer (if the mid-bass was at ear height). B&W put the tweeters in pods set slightly back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.