Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After recently missing out on one of these (a GT version on eBay, my limit was £2800, it went for £2850 !), I still remain curious.

I posted ages ago talking about comparing these to the Croft 25R, though never did pursue. The Sevens rarely crop up on the used market, so there must be a reason for that.

I just wondered if any Wammer had or has had one of these and had a view, I believe there are 3 or 4 levels, ranging from a original RRP of £2500 to £10000.

Always a difficult call seeking views as they are so personal, but equally always interesting. Cheers.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thsnks, the Tron Atlantic look lovely but I think will be well beyond my pocket. I don't know what the prices are but....

The standard used price however seems very reasonable. The eBay one went for an incredible price.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
tron seven pre amps tend to be fairly hard to resell [ like most hi fi these days ] the atlantic pre is pretty reasonable in the lower version. certainly worth an email to GT

pidge22

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
Newark Notts
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had missed this on eBay but saw it for sale thanks to this thread & bought it...now installed replacing a Linn Klimax Kontrol/1 to keep my Tron Seven Ultimate Phono Stage company...it is superb and eventually I hope to have a full Tron Electric system....love the Tron stuff & Graham Trickers attention to detail & his wilingness to give advice & guidance whenever asked for...

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had missed this on eBay but saw it for sale thanks to this thread & bought it...now installed replacing a Linn Klimax Kontrol/1 to keep my Tron Seven Ultimate Phono Stage company...it is superb and eventually I hope to have a full Tron Electric system....love the Tron stuff & Graham Trickers attention to detail & his wilingness to give advice & guidance whenever asked for...
Good work that Wammer ! Do please post your thoughts. May I ask what the rest of your system is please ? Really happy someone here picked this up.

topoxforddoc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2009
Cheltenham, , United
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought GT's personal TRON Meteor preamp almost 20 yrs ago. The Meteor was the predecessor to the Seven. Graham upgraded my preamp about 5-6 years ago. I doubt that I will update this, as I have been really happy with it from the word go.
I don't think that you would go wrong with a TRON amplifier in any configuration. The build quality is exquisite, they are reliable and sound great as well. TRON produces IMO proper high end amplifiers. You only have to look at the shows in the US like the Rocky Mountain, Capitol Audio etc to see that systems with TRON amplifiers regularly get rave reviews and Best of Show awards over there. In those shows, TRON is relatively cheap compared to some of the really stratospherically priced gear.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is always something better but it doesn’t mean that this Tron is not worth investigating. I haven’t heard it but they have a following.

Reactions: pmcuk

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I disagree with the premise that idht valves are inherently inferior. My strong suspicion is that they suffer less from low level microphonics, and that DHT aficionados regard microphonics as enhanced detail.
I'd really like to see science behind the "DHT good, IDHTbad" crowd. Accepted that it's plain and obvious to those who care but, if so, why no plain measurements?

pidge22

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
Newark Notts
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good work that Wammer ! Do please post your thoughts. May I ask what the rest of your system is please ? Really happy someone here picked this up.
Hi Ian, rest of my system is Klimax Ds/1 Streamer & Audio Grail Garrard 401/Upgraded SMD brass spindle & bearing/SMD Reference 35kg Slate Plinth/SME M2 12R Tonarm/Ortofon Silver Meister Mk2 SPU/Loricraft PSU80 power supply - Tron Seven Ultimate level Phono stage,Linn Klimax solo's (current spec) & Linn Akurate 242's mark 3 with upgraded bases.Interconnects to sources are Seac Triple C Copper with WBT connections.
The addition of the Tron Seven Linestage GT has taken my whole system to another level the bigger soundstage is incredible & it goes perfectly with my Tron phonostage...Just waiting on a FURUTECH FP-TCS21 TRIPLE C mains cable & I think it will get even better....

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also, what is wrong with the 12au7 valve such that a circuit containing one might become polluted with its highly linear, medium gain, relatively low plate resistance characteristics? And assuming this to be the case, what circuits might be better, and why?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.