Wammers Album Club Tues 28th Jan, Iron & Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
1294271097-iron-and-wine-kiss-each-other-clean-cover-art.jpg

The musical evolution of Sam Beam's Iron & Wine puts him ahead of a number of his contemporaries. His early work starting out with 2002's The Creek Drank The Cradle is everything you'd expect from back porch American Folk, both lyrically and musically.

But Beam has pushed himself and in ten years is now releasing music like Kiss Each Other Clean (2011) and Ghost on Ghost (2013) which is far harder to classify and reveals great lyrical depth, complex arrangements that reward multiple listens and grown up production underpinning it all.

Spotify

Napster

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just had a (very) quick run through and it wasn't what I expected. Sure, there is beardy sandal wearing music and I thought I heard a tin whistle, but it's very diverse. Plenty of rhythm changes and electronic noodling.

I won't pass judgement until I've heard it all the way through, but I was reticent now I'm interested.

whizzkid

I told you it wasn't important
Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good choice Mark much better than *yawn* Elbow.

rockabillybass

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2008
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I listened to this when it first came out and wasn't sure about it. It was considerably different to his Will Oldham influenced stuff.

Time to listen again though. :^

Jimmy Moff

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2006
Lancaster (ish)
AKA
Jim
I have this on vinyl so looking forward to giving it a spin. I prefer The Shepherd's Dog but this is a good album and I went to see him in Liverpool on this tour. It was the first time I had seen him with a full band, having only seen him do solo sets at festivals before. Someone in the audience shouted out "Judas" in No Direction Home style.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My first introduction to Iron and Wine was 'Woman King' which I still love. I have 4 or five of his other records

I have found the later stuff a bit less immediate but worthy of repeat listening.

I bought this on vinyl when it came out and played it quite a bit but never really got into it, it then sat in the rack unplayed for quite a long time before I gave it another go. It was like someone had stuck a different record in the sleeve and I really enjoyed it, not sure what was going on the first time!

It is now a few months since I have played it as Ghost on Ghost has been on the turnrtable far more often.

Looking forward to giving this another spin.

D

Dayvan cowboy

If I had to listen to 3 tracks mark , what would they be ?

Cheers b

D

Dayvan cowboy

Listening now and the word I'm thinking of is " nice " ...... Not exciting or deep but " nice "

ncdrawl

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 6, 2008
Edinburgh
AKA
Teddy Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
creek drank the cradle is a DID for me, lost interest after the second album. looking forward to this.

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
It's an album of two halfs...

All the odd numbered tracks are deeply bland, wet and generally a bit shit.

However, the even tracks are all grand (though his voice does dampen it a bit; I'll bet he's got floppy hair ;-) ). They're funky, unexpected and with some crazed sounds - excellent!

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
^

Odd I noticed that too...I like every other track. The straight soft folk tracks are too soft for my taste (although some of the Lyrics were appealing). Will give it another listen through on Tuesday, but thanks... a new name for me so:^

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thirded! Been a while since I've found myself agreeing with Smalls... This album comes to life with the sax break in track 2, track 1 was like an X Factor winner's single.

Track 7 ('Godless...') is a wetter version of George Michael's 'A Different Corner'. Track 5 is like a Fleetwood Mac outtake. Track 9, too sweet, too bland.

But then track 8 is a catchy, twisted thing. And some more sax. Nice keyboard in track 6. Nice xylophone (I think) and some great guitar-y bits in tracks 4 and 10. Start of track 10 (up to about 3mins) is great.

Presumably an intended odd/even mixture? As above, I like the even, don't like the odd.

Melodically, it's not the best. Quite simple, quite sing-songy. But the even number tracks lift it beyond yer standard alt-folk singer/songwriter stuff.

Definitely a mixed bag!

I have 'Our Endless...' but didn't keep up with rest of his work.

M

MJ.

Had a listen and I too didn't hate it.

Agree with the 'even numbered tracks are better' posse, although it's all just all bit too twee for me.

Monkeys Uptown and Rabbit will Run were a bit more interesting but the rest is pretty bland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.