rockabillybass

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2008
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've just listened. To be honest my attention waned. Track 8 was the most memorable. I thought I was going to like the final track but the extended "outro" spoiled it.

The album needs stronger melodies and more hooks. Some of the arrangements were really good with interesting choice of instrumentation. At times his vocal inflections reminded me of Ben Folds.

I'm not sure what direction his career should take. Should he be a Bonnie 'Prince' Billy clone or become more eclectic? He's chosen the latter path but I'm not sure he has the songwriting chops for it in that style. Ironically, the songs on his early albums are really good.

Hayward

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2011
I have been listening to this quite a bit this week and I'm still wondering whether there is a place for it in my collection. In the day's when a larger slice of my income was disposable I would have bought it for the tracks that I like no question. There are some well crafted, interestingly arranged tracks here but like most others I am finding the melodies swing too often towards bland/sweet pop for my tastes. I think he is an interesting artist tho' and the latest one Ghost on Ghost is maybe a bit more interesting melodically. I do like the stuff he is doing with the soul/funk/jazz influence...

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice album, particularly the last track which is very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online