Who's compared Sintras to P3esr or s35r ?

eastone

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 18, 2012
London
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
...I'm eyeballing a pair of Royd Sintra 2 currently for sale on the bay. They're almost identical dimensions to the p3esr, does anyone know how they compare with those in particular or how they sit with the ls3/5a tradition in general?

In theory should be easier to power (have my currently being recapped and as yet unheard toca in mind here)

The name does seem to crop up a lot...

ian

Bourney

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can give you a comparison of the Sintra and Harbeth but no idea about the LS3/5 comparison.

Bourney

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Sintra is less even sounding than the Harbeth, it's brighter and less refined , less focused, bass is less defined, midrange is more brightly lit but has that same free rolling spacious sounding mids as the Harby but more coarse with it.The Harbeth is a better speaker all round, as you'd expect, it's a class act with great bass - they are hard to fault really. The Sintra 2 is my favourite Royd but I wouldn't take them over the Harbs regardless of cost.

eastone

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 18, 2012
London
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Steve that's really helpful, I'll probably give them a miss in that case!

eastone

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 18, 2012
London
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
...was wondering if they might be that certain something to knock me off the Harbeth path but never mind. There's always Snells and Audionotes to try...

Bourney

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Proacs are less detailed than the Harbeths and also slightly sharper in the treble, other than that they aren't massively different in presentation IMO. Maybe the Harbeths are a bit more rounded in the midrange. I could enjoy both for very similar reasons. Royds I'd enjoy for a balls out, grinning at the speakers type experience... Not big, not clever, but lots of fun.

Tw99

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 15, 2012
The Home Counties
I had a pair of Sintras about, err, 20 years ago. They are utterly superb at PRaT but blisteringly unforgiving of bright recordings, any excess sibilance will take your ears off. I had to get rid (for a pair of ES11s) as I couldn't enjoy a lot of the music I liked.

eastone

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 18, 2012
London
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
interesting, i also had trouble with the P3s sounding edgy for a bit. not with the Sugden tho :)

ahem, what is PRat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.