Second hand alternatives to a Harbeth P3ESR?

Bigwig07

Wammer
Wammer
May 28, 2016
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've own Harbeth P3ESRs and also a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 20s for when I fancy a change , in my room with my amp they are quite close in their sound.
Interesting - as the Harbeths are about 10 times the price !

I think the Q acoustics 20s give a tight fast sound, but lack the fullness of the Harbeths

tIANcI

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 20, 2019
Malaysia
AKA
Wilson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting - as the Harbeths are about 10 times the price !

I think the Q acoustics 20s give a tight fast sound, but lack the fullness of the Harbeths
I find it interesting too having owned the Concept 20s. I found that they are nice for a medium room but they don’t match up to the P3ESR in terms of the mids, bass and even the highs. For me the P3ESR is more refined, clearer and has more meat to the sound.

gizze

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2009
Wymondham, Norfolk
Sorry, missed the replies. 

One other issue I had was a massive bump around 76Hz that I never managed tame. I guess they add this hump to try and get over the lack of true bass?

The P3ESR was not as smooth as the Quad S2, I could listen at any volume, any recording and all day with the Quads, the Harbeth started to sound a bit edgy when I played them above low levels. 

The room is actually quite a large space, 6m x 5m and pretty high ceilings. Also, wooden floors and no curtains don't help things when it comes to the smooth sound I like. 

A05BB266-E92C-4806-8E2D-2EB6F15965E5.jpeg

I whacked in a pair of old Ditton 15s while trying to decide what to put in there, that was a year ago and still got them. Something about them I just love, or maybe they just work with that room. 

tIANcI

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 20, 2019
Malaysia
AKA
Wilson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The P3ESR’s woofer is tuned to 70Hz as per Stereophile’s tests.

Bigwig07

Wammer
Wammer
May 28, 2016
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a pair of the Stirling Ls3/5a V2's and I love the sound so that the one to go for if you like a rich sound and superb detail and imaging. I'd say they are comparable with the P3 ESR but with a less aggressive treble and they are slightly less dynamic. Still fab though

Contrary to misconception they are great with rock music (meatloaf sounds sublime) and at up to medium volumes, but not high volumes / party level

Avoid Kef LS50 in my view which need proper stands, a good amp and still have a bright aggressive top end. Fab on some music when they're set up right though.

Reactions: eddie-baby

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Had some 11 Ohm 3/5a here Sunday at my BO, being driven by a 15wpc Art Audio Quintet and they were simply stunning. It didn't matter what genre of music that was put through them (level 42, Gregory Porter, classical, Voces8) they just sounded right. 

Reactions: gizze

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online