£10k System Streaming Spotify

Olie

Wammer
Jan 20, 2017
Hastings
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you want there to carry on being new music to listen to on your 10k hifi - go for a different streaming option than Spotify. They completely rip artists off, pay much worse than alternatives like Tidal and Presto, and are now introducing a new system where tracks that reach below a certain threshold of plays will get zero royalties

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Premium is a better-quality compressed format (320 kps) and free Spotify is even worse. Let's assume it is Premium, it costs £10.99/month; Qobuz is £12.99 for CD and provides up to 24/192. Why bother with a worse format for a few £/month?
There is not much need for this thread to go on any longer. The above is fact.

Certainly use free Spotify to suss out new music, but if you are serious about music and your main source is streaming I can't find any argument that would sway me to use Spotify. I can accept they have the best UI. But what's more important, the quality of the sound coming from the thousands of monetary units and time you poured into your system to get the best sound, or a user interface?

Come on folks, I'm going for a beverage.

Last edited:

grommeteer

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Kiel Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is not much need for this thread to go on any longer. The above is fact.

Certainly use free Spotify to suss out new music, but if you are serious about music and your main source is streaming I can't find any argument that would sway me to use Spotify. I can accept they have the best UI. But what's more important, the quality of the sound coming from the thousands of monetary units and time your poured into your system to get the best sound or a user interface?

Come on folks, I'm going for a beverage.
I learned to hate my system for the user interface it has.

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I learned to hate my system for the user interface it has.
Abend. But how does it sound? Good, right?

In all seriousness though. Linn's UI, while not great, is certainly quality enough to access the streaming giants and use the search function. Hate is a strong word. :)

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
... if you are serious about music and your main source is streaming I can't find any argument that would sway me to use Spotify.
Well.... if it's really all about the music, then in my experience Spotify wins as it has the best music catalogue.

It doesn't matter if you have the best audio system in the world if the music you want to play on it isn't there.

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
Well.... if it's really all about the music, then in my experience Spotify wins as it has the best music catalogue.

It doesn't matter if you have the best audio system in the world if the music you want to play on it isn't there.
Folk keep saying this but mor my taste-jazz, classical, rock, reggae, fusion-if it's not on Qobuz it's not an any other streaming service.

The question was well-answered above: why compromise sound quality for the same price (if you take out Qobuz annual subscription)?

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Folk keep saying this but mor my taste-jazz, classical, rock, reggae, fusion-if it's not on Qobuz it's not an any other streaming
That simply is not so.

This afternoon I read a positive review of this album, so I tried to find it on a streaming service.

1699818881371.png

It's not on PrestoMusic or Qobuz as far as I can see.
I've been playing it on Spotify, though.

Reactions: deggie and tuga

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From my own experience, the sound quality obtained from streaming can be excellent. However, I'm not sure Spotify would give the best quality as it's only cd quality, nothing of higher resolution. I've used Spotify, Tidal and Qobuz and I found Qobuz to be the best and now pay for 12 months at a time, to get the cheapest monthly rate.
Spotify is not even cd quality. I agree Qobuz is the best.

Reactions: Gizza

Heckyman

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 15, 2011
West Yorks
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This afternoon I read a positive review of this album, so I tried to find it on a streaming service.

1699818881371.png

It's not on PrestoMusic or Qobuz as far as I can see.
I've been playing it on Spotify, though.
It’s on Apple Music Classical, too.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I don't agree, I find Deezer and Tidal to be similar catalogue and sound better for less money. But I'm going back to Qobuz because not interested in a lot of modern music. You can stick your Rap and R&B, Qobuz is far better for some genres. Spotify have been promising cd quality for years and still nothing.

Reactions: Nestor Turton

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s on Apple Music Classical, too.
Not only Spotify, then.

It's why I decided to subscribe to two services.
Prime use is PrestoMusic (which has currently unbeaten search and cross-reference facilities for classical music) and Spotify to fill in the gaps in the PrestoMusic catalogue.
Personally I find Spotify listenable. Ymmv.

Reactions: tuga

Vinylistas

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 24, 2013
London
AKA
Tautvilas
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use both Tidal and Qobuz for streaming. My streamer is Auralic G2 Vega. To my ears Tidal sounds better, however my newly aquired almost vintage Reimyo CD player kills both Tidal and Qobuz for sound quality. Glad I kept my cd collection.

t1no

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2014
North West
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t think anyone invests 10K on a system just to play Spotify … you would probably spend that kind of money to achieve the best digital or vinyl performance you could for that price. Adding Spotify would just be just a bonus.

If I only intended to listen to Spotify I would invest in a decent pair of streaming active speakers for around 1K or even less.

Reactions: Nestor Turton

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
10k would buy you a decent LP starter system .If I was to start again I would not touch digital.LP replay for me sounds way better.The level of musical information captured in those groves means you are forever rewarded by upgrades..it’s much more of an involved experience.Spotify is for the sheep.
...the crackles and pops though (I prefer to reserve that for my breakfast cereal)...AND the cost of costly purchases to hear new music vs. 10 or 11 pound a month subscription for streaming... AND the cost of a new stylus or retip for a decent cartridge.
Whilst vinyl does usually have the best dynamic range of the various music formats, carefully chosen cd or sacd/DVD-Audio releases can be very, very close, without the snap, crackle and pop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.