Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Phew...

ok I'm obviously going to need to give this some more thought. So these need subdividing a bit...Maybe it will be best to either do it as a history, (strict chronological) or as genre, moving from country to country. The idea is a film a week, so drawing comparisons will also require more attention span and memory than normal ( now I DO know all about education griffo, after 30 oddyears teaching art, I do really, and I wasn't entirely serious about my pupils...they contain a smattering of intelligence but also represented are all other points on the IQ scale). What does anyone think? And where on earth can I hire all these from??:Not Sure:

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
meninblack wrote:

Stanley Kubrick - The Shining and 2001: A Space Odyssey are both better than Clockwork Orange, IMO.

And a modern classic - The Shawshank Redemption.
smile.png
To be honest

i don't think you could hold a 16 year old with 2001 for very long, and Clock Work Orange is a bit strong for kids IMO. The Shinbing however.. scare the fucking shit out of them, and educate them in the art of the tracking steady cam.. cool.

G

Saving Private Ryan: The first twenty minutes shows the sheer unadulterated brutality and wastefulness of war.

Schindlers List: It did happen and the west should still be ashamed of itself.

Its a Beautiful Life: How much we as parents love our children so they're not afraid no matter what.

The Life Of Brian: No explanation needed

Peter Sellers Pink Panther Box Set:

Clousseau "Does yourdog bite"

Old man"no my dog does not bite"

Goes to stroke dog and gets bitten

Clousseau"I thought yousaid your dog does not bite"

Old man "That is not my dog"

:lmao::lmao:

Hit Mouse

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2005
, ,
hifiwigwam wrote-

To be honest i don't think you could hold a 16 year old with 2001
I’d agree if you were trying to entertain the kids, but if the object is to “educate the kids into the classics of cinema history†then I’d nail them to their seats and make them watch it…
smile.png

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
rockmeister wrote:

Phew...ok I'm obviously going to need to give this some more thought. So these need subdividing a bit...Maybe it will be best to either do it as a history, (strict chronological) or as genre, moving from country to country. The idea is a film a week, so drawing comparisons will also require more attention span and memory than normal ( now I DO know all about education griffo, after 30 oddyears teaching art, I do really, and I wasn't entirely serious about my pupils...they contain a smattering of intelligence but also represented are all other points on the IQ scale). What does anyone think? And where on earth can I hire all these from??:Not Sure:
Rockmeister - didn't mean any offence by that comment. I had a dreadful time at high school and always felt my creative skills were beaten out of me and blamed the teachers for this. I quit school at 16 after my house master told to stop day dreaming and knuckle down.

As for hiring the films - I have pretty much all the films I mentioned on my list on DVD, could always do a rental deal with you
biggrin.png
- if only for the sake of the kids.

pootle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
, ,
In no order of importance;

Choose one 'cool' film to attract attention and make the kids feel 'grown up'. I seem to remember seeing a '15' film at age 12 as it was a club and we had to sign up as members. Pulp Fiction an obvious choice.

Make your other choices films they may have heard of but thought were 'uncool'. We all thought The Thing (original '50's version) would be a bit rubbish because it was black and white (12 year old's way of thinking!) but I remember being suprised at it being quite good.

Write a synopsis of each film or see if you can find one someone else has done. NOT just the gumph on the back of the DVD, explain why you chose it and love it. If it hadn't been for this I wouldn't have bothered going to about 5 out of the 6 films. It was about 23 years ago but this, for me, stands out as the most important thing to make a good film club.

At the start of term, publish your list so people can decide whether to sign up to the club. Charge a small fee to help put off the kids that only want to snog at the back/throw chewed up paper wads. Good luck:)

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd recommend the Harold Lloyd one, with the clockface. can't remember what it's called.

Marx Brothers Duck Soup and A Night at the Opera. Everyone should see the Marx Brothers films at least once.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Griffo...no worries...anyway you were right...it's too easy to sound old mannish about these things...in fact I love my kids and work hard to get the very best out of each and every one...sorry about your experience by the way...wierdly, I hated School and was a bit of a rebel...thrown out etc, but got turned around by my Art teacher, who was (is) a brilliant guy...someone who suddenly apparently cared about ME...amazing.

Anyway, many thanks to all for the contributions and ideas (pootle...where have you been hiding? thanks for the help). The next bit is to get the idea past the bursar and fund the set up...next thread...what kit would you buy for a hall on a budget of 3p?
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

glenda

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 26, 2005
south wales
AKA
tony
The film that I most enjoyed when a kid was Ken Loach's "Kes" . I doubt that it has stood the test of time particularly well but has influenced my viewing taste since then . It has some classic scenes - the Brian GLover football scene still makes me laugh and the scene where the kestrel is dead will still induce a few tears aftera couple of glasses of wine.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I love westerns...what were those 'non-holywood' spaghetti westerns? Anyone know what I mean... were they spanish or italian or something...always dubbed and didn't serge Leone base the clint series on them? (or is it pill time again?)
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online