16 bit Old Style DAC loan in Torquay area.

Fullrange

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Torquay
AKA
Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm looking for a short term loan of an old 16 bit / 44khz DAC with a coax input.
I'm trying to experiment with down sampling within Roon to an old style ( non 24 bit / 192khz ) DAC with a coax input.
I'm reluctant to spend £100 on a DAC to find this experiment fails.
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.
Kind regards.

Fullrange

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Torquay
AKA
Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can downsample to any DAC. What are you hoping to test?
I would like to buy a Remiyo DAP 777 DAC.
I use mostly hi red audio files and in Roon I believe you can down sample to Red Book standard.
My Antipodes K50 has a coax output so I would like to use that.
Hope this makes sense.
Marc

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can downsample to any DAC. What are you hoping to test?
Maybe to make sure it's really downsampling by sending to a DAC that can only handle it? Sort of test I'd do. A modern DAC with a sample rate light/display would also work.

Fullrange

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Torquay
AKA
Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe to make sure it's really downsampling by sending to a DAC that can only handle it? Sort of test I'd do. A modern DAC with a sample rate light/display would also work.
Unfortunately I have a modern DAC with no display.
This is why I wanted to test out the down sampling with an old style DAC, hence the request of a loan.
Any local Wammers with a DAC are welcome to pop around for a chat / refreshments / bake off.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just had a thought, is Roon able to downsample to HDCD standard and are some old DACs capable of reading this? Should be an improvement on red book.

manisandher

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2013
Leamington Spa
AKA
Mani
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just had a thought, is Roon able to downsample to HDCD standard and are some old DACs capable of reading this? Should be an improvement on red book.

Some software can apparently decode HDCD, but it's not clear which, if any, of the HDCD processes are being decoded. (My understanding is that the software 'decoding' was developed by some sort of reverse engineering.) But no software can encode HDCD. There's only one way to do that, and that's with a Pacific Microsonics Model One or Two.

I used to own a Model Two (before I sold it to a mastering studio) and I preferred its sound with all HDCD processing switched off. IMO, HDCDs sound good because they were mastered on a Model One/Two, and not because of any HDCD processing used. Oh, and just because an HDCD light comes on doesn't necessarly mean that any HDCD processing was actually engaged in the Model One/Two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lawrence001

manisandher

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2013
Leamington Spa
AKA
Mani
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do believe....

Roon itself is definitely capable of downsampling correctly to 16/44.1.

I've tested Roon's DSP extensively, and to all intents and purposes, it's pretty much lossless. For example... Take a 16/44.1 file. Interpolate to 24/352.8 in Roon (using 'linear, precise' anti-imaging filter). Decimate to 16/44.1 (using 'linear, precise' anti-aliasing filter). Do a null test between the original and up/downsampled file. IIRC, they null to around -200dB.

Of course, if you start with a hires file (24/96, say) and then decimate down to 16/44.1, you will lose some information. But all my testing suggest that the sound quality remains totally intact.

• Thanks
Reactions: Fullrange

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would like to buy a Remiyo DAP 777 DAC.
I use mostly hi red audio files and in Roon I believe you can down sample to Red Book standard.
My Antipodes K50 has a coax output so I would like to use that.
Hope this makes sense.
Marc
Roon was built to be able to deliver to any DAC. I do understand why not seeing it on a display might introduce some doubt but if Roon says 44.1/16 that it is what it delivers. It can convert any standardised rate to any other rate. So you can tell it to deliver 44/16 as DSD512 and visa versa hardware permitting. You can also customise it quite effectively. For instance mine is set to upsample to 88 and 92 for 44 and 48 but everything else is untouched.

• Thanks
Reactions: Fullrange

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a non oversampling chinese DAC in my large wooden chest that takes SPDIF you are more than welcome to borrow that for as long as you need . PM me if you are interested .

• Upvote
Reactions: bigfool1956

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.