Wammer
Apr 24, 2016
New York
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi guys,
I’m about to order new caps for the amplifier boards of the Yammie ca2010 , the original caps are 1uf 80v , I have removed one of them and it measures at 1.16 , when looking for replacements the best I can find are +/- 20% , is it worth replacing them? There are only 8 in total and cost next to nothing, I just don’t want the replacements to be worse than what I’m removing.
I will of course get higher voltage ones .
6617E0B7-5E23-4E88-B419-46926F740E45.jpeg CC8BEE3F-137C-4057-BDC7-A065F567C516.jpeg

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure why I would bother. But Panasonic is usually good.

How accurate is your meter, though? Small resistances always measure high on multimeters, don't know if the same applies to capacitance.

Reactions: andyrlb

andyrlb

Must have shot a Robin
Wammer
Apr 24, 2016
New York
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure why I would bother. But Panasonic is usually good.

How accurate is your meter, though? Small resistances always measure high on multimeters, don't know if the same applies to capacitance.
I don’t know either tbh , I just don’t want to replace them for others that are worse, of course I can compare the new ones before installing and I might consider buying a bunch of them and only install those nearest the 1uf .

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
FFS, they are the factory fitted originals, not only in tolerance but at the higher end of tolerance, and you want to mess?
For what little it's worth, capacitance is usually specified at a particular (range of) voltage and frequency. Without that information its a shot in the dark swapping out in spec caps.
Leave well alone is my opinion, unless you want to change the sonic signature of the piece, in which case fill yer boots 👍

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Capacitors are horribly difficult to measure.
As a test engineer in a medium volume electronics factory, fail tickets for capacitor tolerance
are a source of continual angst.
They are an annoying gremlin that saps your will - set the tolerance to +/- 40%
of official value and have peace.

Reactions: andyrlb

andyrlb

Must have shot a Robin
Wammer
Apr 24, 2016
New York
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
FFS, they are the factory fitted originals, not only in tolerance but at the higher end of tolerance, and you want to mess?
For what little it's worth, capacitance is usually specified at a particular (range of) voltage and frequency. Without that information its a shot in the dark swapping out in spec caps.
Leave well alone is my opinion, unless you want to change the sonic signature of the piece, in which case fill yer boots 👍
Putting it back together today 👍🏻

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This.

Also, even if you want to change the 'sound', you need to know the circuit inside out, and exactly what each of those capacitors does. Even then, most electrolytics in solid-state circuits like that are likely to make little or no difference.

Either way, my standard advice... if you replace any electrolytic, always follow the alignment of the component you take out (positive and negative legs) and never trust the PCB markings. It's far from rare for the PCB to be wrongly printed.

andyrlb

Must have shot a Robin
Wammer
Apr 24, 2016
New York
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This.

Also, even if you want to change the 'sound', you need to know the circuit inside out, and exactly what each of those capacitors does. Even then, most electrolytics in solid-state circuits like that are likely to make little or no difference.

Either way, my standard advice... if you replace any electrolytic, always follow the alignment of the component you take out (positive and negative legs) and never trust the PCB markings. It's far from rare for the PCB to be wrongly printed.
Having screwed up before I now only replace one at a time 👍🏻

Reactions: rabski

andyrlb

Must have shot a Robin
Wammer
Apr 24, 2016
New York
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now I’ve completed a full recap. No audible difference ( to my ears ) but running cooler 🤷‍♂️

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.