Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone seen it yet?

I saw it last night and thought it got ruined by the non humany things the persians had with them, if it was a bit more realistic in that sense then I think the sin city style would of worked even better, as good as it is its a shame for me as it could of been great instead of good.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like that element of fantasy. All very 'Frank Milleresque'- His version of Lex Luthor comes to mind:

dksaLuthor.jpg

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I too like that sort of thing in the right setting, I just dont think it lends itself to a story like the 300 spartans, if it was just men against men it would of been a much better film IMO.

Still worth watching, might watch it again this afternoon.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice visuals, but I wish it could have been more faithful to the original historical event. (It did say Frank Miller's 300 on the can, though, so we all have to live with those fantastical elements:nup:) Mr Butler's work on his rear is awe-inspiring, I can never match up to that.
sad.png

5/10

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If anyone wants to know more about the real history behind this then I very strongly recommend Persian Fire by Tom Holland. Its one of the most unputdownable history books I've ever read (and I've read a few) and explains very well how and why it all happened between the Greeks and the Persians....

....and also why the notion of Spartans fighting and dying to defend freedom and democracy is a total and utter nonsense! Sparta was probably one of the nastiest, cruellest, vicious, brutal most dehumanizing regimes in all of human history but read the above to find out more.

wolfgang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
Glasgow, ,
Good movie. Visually stunning.

Got me interested in the background of the history bit. So read up a bit about it. Like Musicbox/Alan I think the real story of the Battle of Thermopylae seemed more complex and actually very fascinating. The sacrifies of King Leonidas were more meaningful then how it was portrayed in this movie.

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
went to see this last week.

i had read a few reviews saying it was boring with relentless and dull action, awful dialogue, poor acting etc etc.

i was thoroughly entertained (but then I am quite easy to please with films of this nature
biggrin.png
). the action was always varied (and very impressive), some classic characters, totally OTT in some places which I loved. So what if a bit of dialogue is duff - it's a bloody comic book adaptation and not a french art-house film.

Future cult classic perhaps?

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jezzer wrote:

A very good film indeed!
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
I beg to differ.

It's out on home video now and I got the video discs. Sorry, but it's shallow nature surfaces after a re-viewing. The fight scenes are impressive, but they are also highly reminiscent of one of those Playstation sword-and-slash games.
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif
As for the filmsy female costumes and the Spartan men's mini-cut briefs,... they set new standards in mainstream movie "minimalist costuming". This is a sure harbinger that a re-make 20 years from now will see an all-naked cast.
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif
This movie is quite sexploitative.
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif

spartanqueen.jpg

^ Queen of Sparta's curtain-rod dress...
biggrin.png

Gerard Butler is inspiring in the title role though, the one redeeming feature of the film. I am more aware of his scottish accent, now that he's talking through my speakers.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
Who's better to lead a seriously understocked bunch of soldiers against an overwhelmingly huge army than a miserly, cost-saving scotchman?:lmao: :minikiev:

SS

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What was Gerard Butler in before this?

last time I saw that actress (can't remember her name) she was Irish comedian Dylan Moran's love interest.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
musicbox wrote:

What was Gerard Butler in before this? Phantom of the Opera
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

last time I saw that actress (can't remember her name) she was Irish comedian Dylan Moran's love interest.
^ Lena Headey.

sscrutinizing selected clips from the movie on my PC. The narrative voice of the David Wenham is beginning to grate on me. It's so geeky! Just realized he's the guy who played that amorous friar in Van Helsing and drag-queen Audrey in Moulin Rouge.:puke:

A

Alex A

I think it's the best new film of the last 3 years. Really, really, really enjoyed it. Just my cup of tea.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Alex_A wrote:

I think it's the best new film of the last 3 years. Really, really, really enjoyed it. Just my cup of tea.
Power to you then.
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

300 certainly isn't my fave of the last 3 years, but it ranks as the blockbuster that has the most nipples (male & female) on display!
tongue.png

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Finally got around to seeing this. Complete and utter tosh in an enjoyable sort of way.

Why can't somebody make a proper historical movie nowadays, why must it insult the audience by assuming all they want is playstation violence and gore?

However... it was good to see the battle of Platea finally get a mention (at the end with David Wenham's character leading the charge). That's worth a history lesson all of its own.

Picard

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
saw this on a recent flight. total nonsense but bloody good fun. perfect for a

7-hour flight (screen could have been bigger though!). clearly not a serious, historical film. LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles