Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I’ve got to decide soon what I’m going for as I need to start putting cables around the cinema/mancave prior to boarding out .. There will also be a vintage HiFi set up in there ,and so I can change equipment readily there will be 10 wall terminals on the wall where all the gear will be so I can just have short lengths from several amps with switching to change from system to system as they used to have when I worked in comet on Saturday mornings many years ago.
So will be looking for a quality surround amplifier second hand about £500.

recommendations please 

kindest regards Julian

Signs

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2019
i would go 5.1 + Atmos  . my Denon WX2300 works a treat for me ( no phono stage from memory tho and i don't have Atmos lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: bigrod

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I’ve got to decide soon what I’m going for as I need to start putting cables around the cinema/mancave prior to boarding out .. There will also be a vintage HiFi set up in there ,and so I can change equipment readily there will be 10 wall terminals on the wall where all the gear will be so I can just have short lengths from several amps with switching to change from system to system as they used to have when I worked in comet on Saturday mornings many years ago.
So will be looking for a quality surround amplifier second hand about £500.

recommendations please 

kindest regards Julian
I'd recommend putting sound quality first, number of channels second, although I'd have thought you'd get a good 7.1 unit for that price. I'd aim for a minimum of 100/125w per channel (spec into 8 ohm) to get decent dynamics and control. If budget dictates that you have 5.1 channels to get that power, I would give up the other 2 channels. Better to have fewer channels of better quality sound than more channels of lesser quality, IMO.

I bought a Denon AVR-X4500 A/V receiver a few months ago, on offer for £825 and I'm over the moon with it. I already had my speakers for a  5.2 setup so just bought 4 x Kef 3001se 'egg' speakers to mount on the ceiling so I was able to have a 5.2.4 system ( 2 subs and 4 overheads). The receiver outputs to all speakers for Atmos and can also do simulation to do so for 5.1 signals. I think it's worth having for the extra spaciousness of the sound and it allows you to hear more of the detail.

• Upvote
Reactions: bigrod

manicatel

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2009
Herts/Essex border
AKA
matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d stick to 5.1 myself, or maybe even look at adding a 2nd sub on the centre channel rather than 7.1.

Most amps will offer 7 or 9 channels, but be careful with 2nd hand stuff. Don’t go more than a couple of years old, otherwise some of the formats & hdmi inputs may not be up to  modern spec. If you’re not using it for 2 channel duties, I’d go with Yamaha, marantz or Denon. Something like a Denon avr3600 would be a very decent amp & should be around your budget.

Atmos? I’m not convinced about it, there’s not really that much Atmos content about & even then I’m not wow’d about what it adds, with a few exceptions.

Deleting Atmos installation should save a fair bit which you could add to the amp or 2nd sub budget instead.

However, I guess if you are currently building a home theatre room, there is an argument for speccing a pair of Atmos speakers, purely for future-proofing yourself & avoiding cutting holes in ceilings later on.

Reactions: Gizza

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d stick to 5.1 myself, or maybe even look at adding a 2nd sub on the centre channel rather than 7.1.

Most amps will offer 7 or 9 channels, but be careful with 2nd hand stuff. Don’t go more than a couple of years old, otherwise some of the formats & hdmi inputs may not be up to  modern spec. If you’re not using it for 2 channel duties, I’d go with Yamaha, marantz or Denon. Something like a Denon avr3600 would be a very decent amp & should be around your budget.

Atmos? I’m not convinced about it, there’s not really that much Atmos content about & even then I’m not wow’d about what it adds, with a few exceptions.

Deleting Atmos installation should save a fair bit which you could add to the amp or 2nd sub budget instead.

However, I guess if you are currently building a home theatre room, there is an argument for speccing a pair of Atmos speakers, purely for future-proofing yourself & avoiding cutting holes in ceilings later on.
Quite a bit of stuff on Netflix is in Dolby Atmos. The Netflix app on my Panasonic OLED tv passes this via its ARC-enabled HDMI to the Denon receiver. The HD Amazon Fire devices will also decode atmos on its Netflix app. If it wasn't for Netflix, I wouldn't be too bothered about having Atmos as there aren't many standard bluray discs with Atmos soundtracks and more recent 4K bluray discs are expensive.

I disagree about the value of having Atmos and overhead speakers. I find it surrounds you with a bigger, more immersive sound 'bubble'. Even 5.1 soundtracks sound better to me when converted to include the overhead speakers, using either Dolby Surround or DTS Neural X.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

It won’t be used for 2 channel duties as I have several vintage systems from the mid  seventies that I am going to swap and change as takes my fancy ..quad, pioneer, Sansui,luxman,michell. etc. And just use a variety of front speakers for that purpose..

best to get everything in cable wise as you say...

martinm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2005
St Albans
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I'd at least wire for Atmos whilst you are doing the work. 

I love Atmos and plenty of stuff with it. Netflix and increasingly Sky.

Worth subscribing to cinemaparadiso.co.uk if you want physical 4k disc content ( most of which is Atmos or DTSX) lots of choice, and good service for about £13 pm depending on subs level

Reactions: lindsayt and Gizza

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles