90% of our hifi looks shit

turning japanese

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 30, 2006
Equatorial New Leek
AKA
Dan Tracey
only recently occurred to me that separates look awful so thought I would start a thread for folks to post systems that actually look good together - feel free to post yours if you think it looks good, mine looks awful so looking for ideas on how to improve things, easy route is to buy from one manufacturer of course so I don't count those systems hence my 90%

anyone disagree?

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Champagne all the way Dan!

DSC01851Gold_zps5383281a.jpg

Denon, Sony ES and Marantz!

C

CarlBkk

I must agree. Mixing and matching most components can look a right mess, especially if different widths with some black and some silver. I always firstly shortlist equipment that would fit in sound wise, and then shorten that list further with equipment I could live with on looks.

I definitely think all-brand separates look best (if the design is good in the first place), but for us wammers...that would limit boxswapping opportunities and be a tad boring :)

MUJI

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
Surrey
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think it is mainly the American hi fi that lacked refinement in its looks. Same way you could say about their cars and burgers.

European and Japanese hi fi usually fair a lot better.

manicatel

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2009
Herts/Essex border
AKA
matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmm, my gear

Michell Orbe...... Looks OK to me, not stunning, but certainly not shit.

Graaf gm50 amp......stunning, end of.

MacMini, err, OK Cos it's small & anonymous enough not to really notice.

EAR phono stage...... Hmm, again OK, not shit but no stunner.

Young DAC.........I like it, but wish the display could be dimmed or turned off. That would make it go from OK to very cool.

The Pwr supplies for the DAC & TT, yeah, ok they aren't going to win any beauty contests.

All sat on a Quadraspire rack, again, 5/10 score.

But then I don't buy gear for the way it looks & luckily it's in a separate music room so doesn't have to comply with WAF.

I've always liked the "Stack of Naim gear on a Fraim" look. Just not wild about the sound. So maybe my visual tastes aren't that discerning.

Matt.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't give a toss how it looks.
Looks are very important to me, but its difficult with different brands so a neat and tidy presentation can be a good substitute.

C

CarlBkk

I think it is mainly the American hi fi that lacked refinement in its looks. Same way you could say about their cars and burgers.European and Japanese hi fi usually fair a lot better.
Each to their own, but some of that Japanese stuff looks shit to me. silver Audio Note and Shindo looks dull, retro Marantz, Luxman, Accuphase also shit.

American "new high end" brands like Edge, Veloce is way over brash but some other American stuff like Boulder look marvellous.

English hifi mostly looks boring unfortunately (Cyrus, nad, naim, pmc, atc) with some exceptions.

At the moment I'd say German brands are doing the best for design.

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
....according to Robin...my Roksan Attessa CDT looks 100% shit on its own ...ROFL

But looks can deceive ;)

robin

Good bye
Wammer Plus
Dec 6, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
....according to Robin...my Roksan Attessa CDT looks 100% shit on its own ...ROFLBut looks can deceive ;)
happy new year keith, I said it was ugly, not shit, big difference :D

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Each to their own, but some of that Japanese stuff looks shit to me. silver Audio Note and Shindo looks dull, retro Marantz, Luxman, Accuphase also shit.American "new high end" brands like Edge, Veloce is way over brash but some other American stuff like Boulder look marvellous.

English hifi mostly looks boring unfortunately (Cyrus, nad, naim, pmc, atc) with some exceptions.

At the moment I'd say German brands are doing the best for design.
I disagreed with every part of that first sentence. Not that it matters to me but I agree that the Germans are doing a fab job designing their gear to look good at the moment. A lot of it sounds quite nifty too :^

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
happy new year keith, I said it was ugly, not shit, big difference :D
Point taken robin

Happy new year to you too

Keith & Jane

windybum

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 4, 2011
Staffordshire
AKA
Pete
CJR, I'm with you all the way on the champagne look only I can't put a Black Beauty next to mine to make it look even better just a tobacco sunburst across the room _96845844_fire2.jpg !

/monthly_2013_12/577e72792c257_marantz17sandPS-6750002.jpg.fac482bde9c1f1b2354ee3d18bab26f7.jpg

Attachments

• marantz 17's and PS-6750 002.jpg
    marantz 17's and PS-6750 002.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 607

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.