Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Thought I would do a quick review of my relatively 'new' car, a 1993 Toyota Celica ST182 GTi-16.

Some of you are probably aware of my car history, mainly classic Triumphs with a Dolomite Sprint, 1850, TR7 and Acclaim and recently a Rover 100.

Far from the best selection of cars I will admit. ;-)

It got towards the middle of last year when I was wanting something a bit more comfortable, quicker and sensible but still a little interesting. The main contenders seem to be BMW E46 Compact (318Ti), Porsche 924, various Saabs (9-3 Coupe/Hatch), Alfa Gt and 147, VW Corrado etc but nothing really caught my fancy. A few people here (JP & Mark) mentioned a Celica, which is not a car that I have ever taken much real notice of, especially the ST182 and ST202 models.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I became a member of the UK Celica Club, found one that was not too far away and took the plunge. It was badly timed as my gf's car was off the road after an accident, and later the same week the Metro suffered a catastrophic electrical fault (ignition wiring) so we were both without cars for a couple of weeks, and we both work in areas that can not easily be traveled to by public transport.

So a hire car for the couple of weeks later and I ended up with a 1993 Celica, the standard 2.0L 16v model. :cool:

Toyota Celica GT by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Toyota Celica GT by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

As mentioned, I have owned plenty of older cars (only the metro was newer) and driven plenty of newer cars but the Celica is the first car I have actually owned that has Air-Con, Electric Windows, PAS, ABS, Electric Mirrors etc. :nerves:

First impressions

when I took it for a test drive were positive, very responsive on the throttle and relatively light steering. Its not a small car, and actually quite heavy but it only really feels it when giving it the beans.

Speed

If you keep it high in the revs, it seems happy to go up to 6k rpm where the peak power is and by that time, with the long gearing you can be doing over 70 in 3rd if being very keen, and its still pulling.

More than fast enough for me, could do with a little more mid range punch when overtaking in the 40-50mph area without having to change down to 4th or even 3rd.

The downside of that is that its not the real cruiser, it does not have enough torque to sit in 5th everywhere, it can do it but its not brilliant.

Ride/Handling

Ride wise, its very comfortable, the rear droplinks (I think) need replacing, or possibly some suspension bushes as there is a small knock when going over rough road surfaces, something I will be looking at soon.

Its also quite nice to be in, usual '90s black interior but everything still works (electrical) and feels solid as a rock. Seats are nice and supportive, good bolster support too, firm but comfortable on long journeys.

Its not the quetest, the exhaust is fine but the car suffers from wind noise (pillar-less windows) and not much, if any sound insulation in the rear from my initial investigations.

Handling, is interesting. I have Dunlop SP Sport 6000 (IIRC) on aftermarket 15s right now, I am not that keen with them. I had Dunlop SP Sport 2000's on my Dolly Sprint and they were awefull, these 6000's seem reasonable (they are quite new) but I don't feel that confident in their ability, especially when its greasy.

One thing, is its very easy to get understeer and torque steer, with 160bph through the front wheels, when accelerating hard you get a good dose around 3k rpm and then again at 6k rpm.

Lift-Off Oversteer is very progressive, only had it a couple of times when seeing what it will do on a quite roundabout (private land) and its very easy to catch, which I think might be down to the longer wheelbase, the Metro would snap, not an issue as you got it doing 20 odd round a wet roundabout but not exactly great.

Under 'normal' driving this is not an issue though, only when giving it the beans.

Living with it

Its actually quite practical too, rear seats fold flat and good sized boot/hatch as well although the boot lip is quite high.

Couple of things generally, very quick to get up to temperature. It has had a new rad so no overheating issues and does not use coolant, as well as oil. The heater gets up to temperature very quick, within about 5 min of driving its roasting hot, a bonus compared to any of the classics I have owned.

Lots of nice little features like electric mirrors, lights jet wash, electric dip on the headlights, ignition key lights up when you get in the car and adjustable speed intermittent wipers. And it all still works.

Economy has been better than expected, I get around 32-33mpg most of the time (up to 1.5k miles a month at the moment) with a low of 29.5mpg so pretty pleased with that from a early '90s 2.0 Litre Injection.

One other bonus is most parts seem easy to get hold of and quite cheap, Air Filter was £7, Alternator Belt was £10 and a doddle to fit as well :^

One thing is its missing any cup-holders. Still not owned a car with any :x

Hifi

Getting a decent stereo setup too, the original car came with reasonable components that with some time alignment and little DSP sound very good, and got some descrete 6.5" Sub/Bass drivers going in the rear dedicated enclosures for a nice OEM look.

IMGP4805_zpsb4b94c17.jpg

Pro:

-Great value - my cared for example was £1k with 100k on the clock

-Looks good - IMO

-Reasonable Ride - Not the best but still pretty good

-Practicable - Good boot and seats fold flat

-Fuel - Not silly on the MPG for its age

-Heater - Warms up VERY quick, within 5 min of driving its baking hot!!

-Pop Up Head Lights - nuff said.

Con:

-Understeer/Torque Steer - When provoked

-Most if not all will be high mileage

-Gearbox - can be a little clunky but solid and positive when in gear

-Bit noisy - Motorway speeds wind/road noise

Overall its been a great car so far, in the first 3 months I have had no issues other than the alternator belt going, which was a 10 min/£10 job to fix myself. Its been reasonable on fuel, done around 3k Miles so far and been comfortable on long journeys and generally nice to be in even when sitting in traffic on a miserable drive home late from work.

Disclaimer - The aftermarket wheels and ST185 bonnet are not original and were added by the previous owner.

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hope you've told the Insurance about the wheels?

Petty, but it's an issue.

Article in paper on Sunday said some companies even count stickers as 'additions'!!!

Butuz

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 22, 2010
S.Wales.
AKA
Andy
That looks in really good nick!

- - - Updated - - -

Hope you've told the Insurance about the wheels?
Clearly someone who's never had a Japanese sports car before.

Ins company were like - "well obviously it has aftermarket wheels, have you done anything mad to the engine or not??"

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
That looks in really good nick!- - - Updated - - -

Clearly someone who's never had a Japanese sports car before.

Ins company were like - "well obviously it has aftermarket wheels, have you done anything mad to the engine or not??"
Yeah, everytime I have mentioned aftermarket wheels or non standard (manufacturer alloys) they have not batted an eyelid, I guess its just something they would bring up as an excuse not to pay out on if they had no reference of.

la toilette

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 7, 2010
Par la rivière Yeo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mmmm, I always liked the look of those Celica's and yours looks very tidy. There are some great bargains out there for cars of a certain age if you choose carefully, like you obviously have. Well made Jap cars that have slipped out of fashion due to age can be a good buy imo.

Funny about the after market mods like these as they actually don't seem to make much of a difference to the premiums, if any at all - the insurance companies just want to know. I just bought an 05 Civic 'Type S' that a previous owner had put sporty coilovers on, and when I got it insured I obviously mentioned these and asked whether it would make any difference if I reinstated standard springs (as tbh they're just a little hard for rural Somerset dirt tracks b-roads) and they said they made no difference to the cost at all!

Vinyl Art

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would have kept quiet about the Acclaim:) Nice motor in the Celica though.

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I would have kept quiet about the Acclaim :) Nice motor in the Celica though.
Its not actually a bad car, to be honest, considering its actually a Honda, probably the 'best' car Triumph ever made assembled. :p

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I took (and passed) my driving test in a Triumph Acclaim... I also owned the practically identical Honda Accord for a couple of months... Decent enough cars. :^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online