Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am quite convinced that one of the best ways to clean a record - especially used ones - is to actually play it. Stands to reason that a fine pointed diamond dragging through a groove is going to dislodge the crap, doesn't it?

With that in mind, can anyone recommend a really, really cheap cartridge I could use for this purposes - not for actually listening - but which will not damage the record?

It's for my Technics SL1200G. If it came already mounted on a headshell, then all the better.
Where did you hear this from? Absolute no no.

All you will do is drag the crap through the grooves and damage the recordings further

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The 'spare cartridge of choice' here has been an AT95EX for ages, as much as anything because it's ridulously good for the £50 odd that you'll pay for a new one.

On the other hand, depending on the actual state of an LP, the last way I would 'clean' one would be by playing it. A stylus doesn't always clear dirt out of a groove, but instead 'bumps' over it, unless you've got the tracking weight set way too high. Also, if there's anything abrasive at all, then it's going to do more damage.

IMHO and IME, the only sensible way to clean any LP without potentially damaging it is to use a wet cleaning machine.

Reactions: uzzy

Nearly bewildered

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I am quite convinced that one of the best ways to clean a record - especially used ones - is to actually play it. Stands to reason that a fine pointed diamond dragging through a groove is going to dislodge the crap, doesn't it?

With that in mind, can anyone recommend a really, really cheap cartridge I could use for this purposes - not for actually listening - but which will not damage the record?

It's for my Technics SL1200G. If it came already mounted on a headshell, then all the better.
Im less convinced..you could try a eraser sponge..get it wet..sluice it about a bit on top of record.. This should dislodge any debris..then squeeze out sponge and wipe from inner to outer slowly..job done!  Get a 10p record from charity shop..listen to it for a bit..hear all the pops and crackles etc..then try eraser sponge..its a eye and a ear opener! Ps my favourite rush albums is power windows!  

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rockchild

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think a few fibres are inevitable, and are often completely harmless unless they form a ball of gunge that obviously starts to cause mistracking.  
Personally, I’ve tended to prefer a “less is more” approach to record cleaning.  But I’m heavily influenced by my part-time shop days in the LP’s heyday, where we sold all manner of brushes, arms, liquids, Zerostats, Rek-o-Kuts, etc.  The customers that used the most seemed to have the biggest issues.  But the records that got played repeatedly in the shop acquired barely a click.  They were never put in sleeves, and even that can charge up static, just left on the last deck that was used.  

Record cleaning machines are great if you’ve a larger collection than me, but I’m not a regular enough user to bother.  And I never buy new LPs, which I know can be left with residual release agent from manufacture. 

As to playing them to clean them, I’d also avoid this, preferring to play to enjoy, ensuring the stylus is clean before and afterwards. 

Last edited by a moderator:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do wet clean. I have 2 x disco antistat baths. One for cleaning (isopropyl/distilled water) and one for rinsing (distilled water). I then dry on my DIY vac.

However, despite that, I STILL sometimes get crap caught up in my stylus after the first play.
That's frankly because any sort of wet bath cleaner doesn't deep clean. You can just about manage it with something like that if you use a proper brush for the solution to actually work it into the grooves and then vacuum it all out.

Reactions: uzzy and Rockchild

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The "baths" have brushes in them as you spin the record around. But I think that they probably are not as effective as they should be. 
I remember those machines... if the record dried and then played, you use to get worm like bits of dried cleaning fluid all over the record 😜

it’s a fine line on investment for a decent cleaner. Quantity vs cost. I have probably around 600 records and I’m sure @rabski will back me up on this, the vinyl memories are priceless and I will always clean and protect the history of collection through my life 

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I remember those machines... if the record dried and then played, you use to get worm like bits of dried cleaning fluid all over the record 😜

it’s a fine line on investment for a decent cleaner. Quantity vs cost. I have probably around 600 records and I’m sure @rabski will back me up on this, the vinyl memories are priceless and I will always clean and protect the history of collection through my life 
I will back you up, definitely.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're half serious about vinyl as a source, a 'proper' cleaning machine is a vital part of the system, not an accessory.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I will back you up, definitely.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're half serious about vinyl as a source, a 'proper' cleaning machine is a vital part of the system, not an accessory.
I’d rather spend £400 on a decent cleaner as if I had to replace recordings (if I could get them) they would be twice as much today, even second hand. 

I recall a record I played 30 years ago whilst feeding my first born, had it on the table on top of the sleeve and she vomited over it.. (expect jokes). Anyway, wiped it and forgot about it and went to play it a few weeks back and then saw the reminder 😜 The pro-ject did an awesome job cleaning off 30 year old puke 🤮 

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The pro-ject is only a vacuum though, isn't it? It doesn't actually clean the record, does it?
The rotary vacuum action is one of the most important things to get the cleaning fluid off. Vacuum being the operative word here. A good tight seal on the record is paramount and along the grooves, not across. The application of fluid and method is easy

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Is this a wind-up?  :roll:

• Haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles