Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking back at 2022. it has been an extraordinary year of upgrades for my Linn system.

A year ago, I was really happy with my HiFi system, and yet the number of changes I have made since, is nothing short of surprising. Almost none of the changes I made this past year were pre planned, and yet all these ideas and opportunities came my way from friends that motivated me to give them a try.

Back in January was one of the most surprising upgrades I did, and I am still in wonderment by what an improvement it has made to my system. Tendaberry in Germany was able to source some Finnish Baltic Birch aviation plywood that is 8mm thick and 16 ply. Placing my HiFi components on top of these boards with Isoacoustic pucks underneath was a fantastic enhancement to timing and music detail and presentation.

February saw the start of installation of Isoacoustic Pucks and Puck minis under all of my audio components, including the NAS and switches. Highly worthwhile!!!

A visit to a metal fabrication shop had them custom build stainless steel stands that allowed me to assemble my Vicoustic extreme bass traps in the corners, without mounting them to walls. These stands also allowed me to lower the height of the Vicoustic bass traps about 30 cm, making the bass traps more effective . This resulted in gains in sound quality, and especially for the bass frequencies.

April was the arrival of the Environmental Potentials HPS wave form correction box. Sensational performance gains were realized from plugging my components into this devices, with the quietest sound floor I have ever had, and greatly improved sound quality.

May and June was the arrival of my first Cardas Clear Beyond power cord and the beginning of upgrading my Ethernet cables over time. This Cardas power cord was used to power my Environmental Potentials HPS, so my whole system would benefit. This was the start of swapping out all of my Silent Angel C7 Ethernet cables in the whole network, for Cardas Clear Ethernet cables. It took a few months but all my Ethernet network cables and Exaktlinks are Cardas Clear now.

July found my second Cardas Clear Beyond power cord installed, now powering my AEDSM. It was transformative and provided improvements in sound quality to the whole system.

August was the biggest upgrade of the year with the arrival of my new Klimax DSM/3 Hub. Unprecedented improvements in sound quality and performance on every level were obtained with the new Hub.

The last few months have been refining and tweaking things to optimize performance. A third Cardas Clear Beyond power cord was installed during this period, for my Akurate Exaktbox I and greatly enhanced my surround sound experience

This week, with the encouragement of some forum members, I have started the process of swapping out my Isoacoustic Pucks with Isoacoustic Oreas. I did not expect much improvement in sound quality, as the Isoacoustic Pucks are excellent already, but have been gobsmacked by what a wonderful improvement it has made.

Collectively, all the changes I have made to my Linn system in the past year have been extremely beneficial. I have far greater enjoyment of the music now, then I have ever experienced before.

What changes have you made for your Linn system this past year?

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Wow a busy year.

Mine was fairly stable till the June, then;
- Sold the Linn LP12 (Akurate plus) record deck
- Sold the Naim CD5 XS CD player
- Sold all my records and CDs
- Sold all the storage systems
- Sold the Okki Nokki RCM
- Sold the Tiger Paw Vulkan wall shelf
- Sold the remaining bits associated with playing records
- Bought a Linn Klimax DS3 / Klimax streamer
- Bought a Chord Signature Aray RCA - DIN interconnect
- Took out a subscription to Qobuz streaming service
- Bought a Chord EE8 Network switch
- Bought some Chord C-Series and Clearway network cables
- Bought a NetGear GS105 network switch
- Bought a Naim HiCap and had that serviced
- Sold the Naim FlatCap PS
- Put said HiCap on the Naim 282 pre amp
- Bought a Naim Snaxo Burndy cable
- Put the Naim SuperCap PS on the Naim Snaxo 242 external crossover
- Bought a second HiCap, already serviced
- Put this on the 282 as a second PS
-Bought five Naim PowerLines and put them on;
- SuperCap
- HiCap x 2
- Naim NAP 250 power amp x 2
- Bought a Mark Grant power cable and put it on the Klimax
- Made two DIY power cables and put them on the Naim NAPSC PS x 2
- Bought some IFI power supplies and put them on;
- Gigaclear fibre broadband box
- Router
- Network switches x 2
- Rearranged the stacking on my SimRack to accommodate the above changes
- Bought IFI DC Blocker x 2 for the 250 x 2 to reduce the hum
- Redecorated the old storage area
- Rearranged the furniture for the area where the record and CDs were stored

Now having a rest and making good use of the system, listening to some good Jazz.

DG…

Last edited:

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow a busy year.

Mine was fairly stable till the June, then;
- Sold the Linn LP12 (Akurate plus) record deck
- Sold the Naim CD5 XS CD player
- Sold all my records and CDs
- Sold all the storage systems
- Sold the Okki Nokki RCM
- Sold the Tiger Paw Vulkan wall shelf
- Sold the remaining bits associated with playing records
- Bought a Linn Klimax DS3 / Klimax streamer
- Bought a Chord Signature Aray RCA - DIN interconnect
- Took out a subscription to Qobuz streaming service
- Bought a Chord EE8 Network switch
- Bought some Chord C-Series and Clearway network cables
- Bought a NetGear GS105 network switch
- Bought a Naim HiCap and had that serviced
- Sold the Naim FlatCap PS
- Put said HiCap on the Naim 282 pre amp
- Put the Naim SuperCap PS on the Naim Snaxo 242 external crossover
- Bought a second HiCap, already serviced
- Put this on the 282 as a second PS
-Bought five Naim PowerLines and put them on;
- SuperCap
- HiCap x 2
- Naim NAP 250 power amp x 2
- Bought a Mark Grant power cable and put it on the Klimax
- Made two DIY power cables and put them on the Naim NAPSC PS x 2
- Bought some IFI power supplies and put them on;
- Gigaclear fibre broadband box
- Router
- Network switches x 2
- Rearranged the stacking on my SimRack to accommodate the above changes
- Bought IFI DC Blocker x 2 for the 250 x 2 to reduce the hum
- Redecorated the old storage area
- Rearranged the furniture for the area where the record and CDs were stored

Now having a rest and making good use of the system, listening to some good Jazz.

DG…
Wow, that is an extremely busy year of upgrades and sales as well.

Your music system must be singing like never before. I hope you have many years of musical enjoyment ahead

I had a busy year selling off components as well, starting with my 2018 variant Klimax Hub, Shunyata Denali V2 power conditioner, Environmental Potentials 2460 Wave Form Correction device, some Shunyata Zitron Cobra power cords, and a Shunyata 20 amp Alpha NR power cord

I still have a lot of accessories to sell off, such as Isoacoustic Pucks, Bonn C7 Ethernet cables, Cardas Iridium power cord. I may sell off some more Shunyata Zitron Cobras or Alpha Digitals, to fund a couple more Cardas Clear Beyond power cords for my Akubariks.

As good as the Shunyata power cords are, the Cardas Clear Beyond power cords are like a component upgrade, with each one installed.

The coming year for Linn’s 50th anniversary should provide many opportunities for upgrades for us all.

I have heard it confirmed that there is a replacement for the Klimax 350’s to be released in 2023, and some new designs of Linn speakers to be released, as well.

There will also be a rollout of Organik to many more components including Akubariks as well as Utopik power supplies for a wide range of Linn components.

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There will also be a rollout of Organik to many more components including Akubariks as well as Utopik power supplies for a wide range of Linn components.

The only next consideration will be the Organik upgrade, perhaps next year sometime, but in the meantime, will continue to enjoy the music.

I was fortunate to fund this through the selling of the items as mentioned, but also having a clear out from around the house and selling a number of additional items on eBay.

DG…

Benfield

Wammer
Aug 15, 2019
Looking back at 2022. it has been an extraordinary year of upgrades for my Linn system.

A year ago, I was really happy with my HiFi system, and yet the number of changes I have made since, is nothing short of surprising. Almost none of the changes I made this past year were pre planned, and yet all these ideas and opportunities came my way from friends that motivated me to give them a try.

Back in January was one of the most surprising upgrades I did, and I am still in wonderment by what an improvement it has made to my system. Tendaberry in Germany was able to source some Finnish Baltic Birch aviation plywood that is 8mm thick and 16 ply. Placing my HiFi components on top of these boards with Isoacoustic pucks underneath was a fantastic enhancement to timing and music detail and presentation.

February saw the start of installation of Isoacoustic Pucks and Puck minis under all of my audio components, including the NAS and switches. Highly worthwhile!!!

A visit to a metal fabrication shop had them custom build stainless steel stands that allowed me to assemble my Vicoustic extreme bass traps in the corners, without mounting them to walls. These stands also allowed me to lower the height of the Vicoustic bass traps about 30 cm, making the bass traps more effective . This resulted in gains in sound quality, and especially for the bass frequencies.

April was the arrival of the Environmental Potentials HPS wave form correction box. Sensational performance gains were realized from plugging my components into this devices, with the quietest sound floor I have ever had, and greatly improved sound quality.

May and June was the arrival of my first Cardas Clear Beyond power cord and the beginning of upgrading my Ethernet cables over time. This Cardas power cord was used to power my Environmental Potentials HPS, so my whole system would benefit. This was the start of swapping out all of my Silent Angel C7 Ethernet cables in the whole network, for Cardas Clear Ethernet cables. It took a few months but all my Ethernet network cables and Exaktlinks are Cardas Clear now.

July found my second Cardas Clear Beyond power cord installed, now powering my AEDSM. It was transformative and provided improvements in sound quality to the whole system.

August was the biggest upgrade of the year with the arrival of my new Klimax DSM/3 Hub. Unprecedented improvements in sound quality and performance on every level were obtained with the new Hub.

The last few months have been refining and tweaking things to optimize performance. A third Cardas Clear Beyond power cord was installed during this period, for my Akurate Exaktbox I and greatly enhanced my surround sound experience

This week, with the encouragement of some forum members, I have started the process of swapping out my Isoacoustic Pucks with Isoacoustic Oreas. I did not expect much improvement in sound quality, as the Isoacoustic Pucks are excellent already, but have been gobsmacked by what a wonderful improvement it has made.

Collectively, all the changes I have made to my Linn system in the past year have been extremely beneficial. I have far greater enjoyment of the music now, then I have ever experienced before.

Reactions: DiggyGun

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not a busy year for me after the hectic 2021 that saw the the addition of the Next Gen Klimax Hub and 520s as Exakt Surround speakers.

My only additions this year were IsoAcoustic Gaias for the Komris and Mini Pucks for the Exaktboxes and Indigos for the Hub.

The major change that nearly but didn’t happen was to replace the Komris with Kudos Titan 808s.

So it was a year of consolidation for me waiting for the right time to go Organik.

Expecting more dramatic changes in 2023. First up Organik upgrades to the Exaktboxes. Then Utopik upgrades for the Hub and Exaktboxes. There’s even an outside chance I might get another LP12 instead. I wouldn’t rule out Utopik upgrades to the Solos.

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What a year of changes (not always upgrades😅, it’s a long and winding road..) to my Linn systems:

( in no particular order)

Primary system:
- sold Thorens 126MK3 Centennial edition (1983)
- bought Linn Majik LP12 (2022 edition)
- bought REL T9i sub
- bought REL Arrow wireless transmitter for T9i
- bought Lingo 2 (to be installed now)

Study:
- bought and sold a pair of Keilidhs
- bought 4 (and sold 2) Linn K400 speaker cables
- bought and sold Linn Classik Movie DI
- bought (and will pass on within the family) a pair of Ninkas
- bought (and will pass on within the family) Linn AV5103
- bought (and will pass on within the family) Linn AV5125
- bought (and will pass on within the family) active cards for the Ninkas installed in AV5125
- bought and sold a Linn Trikan
- bought and sold a Linn Kudos
- bought and sold a Linn Kairn Pro
- bought a Linn Kairn
- bought a Linn Karik
- bought a Linn Klout
- bought a Linn Numerik
- bought a Pair of Linn Isobarik DMS
- bought a pair of XLR/Banana speaker cables
- bought a LP12 (1983)
- bought and sold a Hifiberry Digi+ pro HAT for Raspberry 3
- bought a Allo DigiOne HAT for Raspberry 3
- bought a Raspberry 7‘‘ touch screen
- bought BNC coax cables for DigiOne/Numerik
- bought a Hiby R2 DAC
- bought and sold a iFi Zen DAC

Craigas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
The year was tracking uneventful with no new purchases until this week when I slipped and fell into buying an Exaktbox sub.

I then stumbled into an audio store to look at subs and walked out with a Silent Angel Bonn 8, and Forrester power supply.

I am pretty sure before the weekend is out I will be the proud owner of two Rel S/510s.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What a year of changes (not always upgrades😅, it’s a long and winding road..) to my Linn systems:

( in no particular order)

Primary system:
- sold Thorens 126MK3 Centennial edition (1983)
- bought Linn Majik LP12 (2022 edition)
- bought REL T9i sub
- bought REL Arrow wireless transmitter for T9i
- bought Lingo 2 (to be installed now)

Study:
- bought and sold a pair of Keilidhs
- bought 4 (and sold 2) Linn K400 speaker cables
- bought and sold Linn Classik Movie DI
- bought (and will pass on within the family) a pair of Ninkas
- bought (and will pass on within the family) Linn AV5103
- bought (and will pass on within the family) Linn AV5125
- bought (and will pass on within the family) active cards for the Ninkas installed in AV5125
- bought and sold a Linn Trikan
- bought and sold a Linn Kudos
- bought and sold a Linn Kairn Pro
- bought a Linn Kairn
- bought a Linn Karik
- bought a Linn Klout
- bought a Linn Numerik
- bought a Pair of Linn Isobarik DMS
- bought a pair of XLR/Banana speaker cables
- bought a LP12 (1983)
- bought and sold a Hifiberry Digi+ pro HAT for Raspberry 3
- bought a Allo DigiOne HAT for Raspberry 3
- bought a Raspberry 7‘‘ touch screen
- bought BNC coax cables for DigiOne/Numerik
- bought a Hiby R2 DAC
- bought and sold a iFi Zen DAC
Wow!!! Impressive.

I think you have bought and sold as much HiFi equipment as some dealers on eBay do in a year.

Reactions: DiggyGun

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The year was tracking uneventful with no new purchases until this week when I slipped and fell into buying an Exaktbox sub.

I then stumbled into an audio store to look at subs and walked out with a Silent Angel Bonn 8, and Forrester power supply.

I am pretty sure before the weekend is out I will be the proud owner of two Rel S/510s.
Shaping up to be a very interesting weekend indeed

Good luck 😉

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow!!! Impressive.

I think you have bought and sold as much HiFi equipment as some dealers on eBay do in a year.

But please bear in mind that I have the privilege of not being obliged to sell at a profit.

That being said, many of these devices are traded at real bargain prices and can be passed on quickly without any loss.

It's fascinating and somehow odd at the same time that equipment from a high end manufacturer such as Linn (a manufacturer that does not exactly have the reputation of being particularly „cheap“😜) now sometimes represent incredible value for money and allow a very "easy" entry into serious hi-fi.

Keilidhs, Ninkas, Kairn, AV5103 & 5125, Karik, Classik just to name a few definitely belong in this category.

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
can you please explain why you kept the Komris compared to the 808?

I had become disatisfied with the Komris and thought the 808s were much more musical especially after hearing their new Exakt filter. However thanks to the kind suggestion of a member here, I discovered that one of the Komri arrays had not been reinstalled correctly. Application of the correct torque on retaining screws restored the Komris to their former glory. Still not as good as 808s, but the need to change was not quite so urgent bearing in mind the cost.

fschmeis

Wammer
Oct 29, 2018
Germany, near FFM
AKA
Frank
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had become disatisfied with the Komris and thought the 808s were much more musical especially after hearing their new Exakt filter. However thanks to the kind suggestion of a member here, I discovered that one of the Komri arrays had not been reinstalled correctly. Application of the correct torque on retaining screws restored the Komris to their former glory. Still not as good as 808s, but the need to change was not quite so urgent bearing in mind the cost.
thx for your comprehensive answer (Peter knows everything about Komris 👍)

DB1328

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
München
AKA
Jan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
12 month ago Klimax Radikal 2 Upgrade

Own circuit for my Man Cave
NGKHUB Easter Egg 😉 instead of KEDSM/1
Sold Silent Angel Bonn N8 and Silent Angel Forrester F1
Keces P3 for AVM Fritzbox and iFi iPower X for WLAN Repeater
Sold Katalyst Akudorik and one 226 Bass Extension
Kudos 505
Klimax Exaktbox Katalyst
Akurate 4200
Organik Upgrade for Klimax Exaktbox

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes. It was a big change to go solely digital from a mostly analogue system.

However, we found the change not too difficult in the end. And we’re now listening to a greater diversity of Jazz music as well, so an additional bonus.

Now working on my second system in my office. Just changed from an Icon Audio Stereo 25 MkII valve integrated amplifier to a SMSL SA300 digital integrated amplifier / DAC.

The two for comparison.
F06BE58E-8197-45B9-94DB-5D9302316296.jpeg

Given its size, its very good and has given me back some of my desk real estate.

DG…

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just realized that I made no upgrades in 2022. I guess this is because Linn didn't release anything new at Klimax level in 2022. 2020 and 2021 were banner years for Klimax upgrades as I upgraded to Karousel, KRadikal 2, and NG Klimax DSM hub. I did do some setup tweaks in 2022 that did result in sound quality improvements. These involved equipment racks, room accoustics, and space optimisation. But this was just putting things where they should've been put in the first place. :)

Reactions: Chris 1970

Wenge1

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 19, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just realized that I made no upgrades in 2022. I guess this is because Linn didn't release anything new at Klimax level in 2022. 2020 and 2021 were banner years for Klimax upgrades as I upgraded to Karousel, KRadikal 2, and NG Klimax DSM hub. I did do some setup tweaks in 2022 that did result in sound quality improvements. These involved equipment racks, room accoustics, and space optimisation. But this was just putting things where they should've been put in the first place. :)
I reckon you were just not trying hard enough ........ ;) (y)

• Haha
Reactions: akamatsu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.