Wammer
Wammer
Apr 5, 2007
London, , United Kin
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This isn't the name of a new wammer but a factory with a street named after it that I visited last week with full compliance with the management who came with me. They only do a few tours a year and I more or less happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Starts 9 am sharp and lasts 3 hours. Don't be late.

38 of us were split into 2 groups and began with a visit to the canteen - no greasy chips here -for plenty of coffee and Danish pastries. Very good.

To business: A 20 min. powerpoint presentation giving some history context of the company and founders along with last year's turnover at about DKK8 billion. Then to a part of the production facilities -no photos please- dealing with Aluminium and the anodising of same plus all shaping, lathing etc. Although many workers were on holiday hence the tour dates there was plenty of activity and some had been asked to return for a special order recently served. We were taken round by the chief chemist in that area who explained the anodising process which went in one ear and out again. They are experimenting with colour gradations on speakers looks very pucker. Apparently they can't do white for some technical reason but are working on it. Everything/ everyone very clean an tidy, staff wear gloves it seems.

The machinery! oh yes. The best money can buy for the specific jobs it seems. Units from all over the world especially Germany Sweden and USA. No expense spared in the search for quality and to stay ahead of the competition he says. He's been working for them for 23 years, others up to 38 years. A very committed staff I guess. The tour of this unit was about an hour - twas the only area we saw and covered about the size of 2/3 a football pitch. No free sample - pity.

Very focussed and committee to product plus a sense of pride too.

Then on to the museum where we saw a timeline of product development including some parallel tracking tonearms of yesteryear. They did 'em first apparently.

Then to the Home Theatre where we were given a brief demo of the finest they make. Any good? Reckon so yes.

Sent on our way with a 6 pack cd collection, well packaged of course, no brown paper bag. I came away with new respect for a company that is frequently slagged off but carves it's own way with pride and - hey - sales are healthy it seems. Good on 'em

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's a truly fascintating place - I've been and would love to go again. Like you, I was also struck by the sheer passion of all the staff - everyone I met seemed genuinely proud to work there. Did you get to see the Cube?

Ganders

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2007
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sound's interesting Robin,but is there a reason you don't name the company whose factory you visited?I googled the name and soon found out but curious why you don't mention it in the article.

hearingisbelieving

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2011
Bendorf, Germany
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Sound's interesting Robin,but is there a reason you don't name the company whose factory you visited?I googled the name and soon found out but curious why you don't mention it in the article.
+1 - never heard of the bloody thing and had to google to see its B&O's headquarters.

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My first TT was a wind up 78 rpm, my second was a B&O 1000 on a solid wall shelf wasn't bad at all, then came my Hydraulic reference tried a couple of B&O amps late 60/70's not impressed, nor have been since great design vastly over priced.

However when we ordered our car last year, B&O sound system was an option, had a listen quite impressed, my days of fitting multi amps, parametric graphic equalisers & 20/30 speakers are over. I am even more impressed after a year even Classic FM sounds ok; indeed my 18 year old son playing Prodigy at high volume off his IPad 5 has made me a convert.

monya

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 5, 2007
London, , United Kin
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My first TT was a wind up 78 rpm, my second was a B&O 1000 on a solid wall shelf wasn't bad at all, then came my Hydraulic reference tried a couple of B&O amps late 60/70's not impressed, nor have been since great design vastly over priced.However when we ordered our car last year, B&O sound system was an option, had a listen quite impressed, my days of fitting multi amps, parametric graphic equalisers & 20/30 speakers are over. I am even more impressed after a year even Classic FM sounds ok; indeed my 18 year old son playing Prodigy at high volume off his IPad 5 has made me a convert.
We were told that when B & O approached car manufacturers regards in-car audio nobody took them seriously. Eventually they bought an upspec Audi, kitted it out and took it to the company in Germany, persuaded some honcho to sit in it and have a listen who emerged 5 mins later and said uuuh wow! Now B&O kit out some Audi's + plus a few others like Aston Martin.

Hey, I'm beginning to sound like a rep! It gets to you like that - the passion is catching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.