Valve amp comparison - ai509/700- unisis - ming da set

P

Philv

Hi

anyone have personal experience of the comparative merits of the following amps -

audio innovations ai509/700

Ming Da 18w SET MC368-B902

tube technology unisis

ie

which is the better and why?

cheers

Bourney

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had AI500 early model with three sets if taps, AI700 and a number of unisis.

AI500 with the right tubes is ballsy, full and reasonably refined. The 700 I found a bit softer - could have been the different tubes but it just sound less gutsy and dynamic to me. The unisis is less rounded in the bass and slightly more forward sounding and more detailed and transparent... But it can sound great or mediocre with the wrong speakers ie LVs don't match the unisis well IMO - all a bit too mid range focused. The unisis is also capable of driving speakers well but doesn't flesh out the bass the same as the 500.

if rock is your thing I'd go for the 500, if you like midrange purity and presence and a taughter, slightly leaner sound, the unisis is better. I wouldn't put the 700 i owned in front of any of them for any music.

Unisis beautiful to look at too.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh you should also consider an icon stereo 40 which again is a richer smoother detailed sound and a KT88 tubed primaluna has loads of welly and grip. Better bass than the unisis. Neither are as good overall as the unisis IMO but with considering for the right money.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Totally depends what speakers you are going to use.

I have heard all those amps sound excellent in the right system.

P

Philv

The kefs are quite sensitive.

They seemed nice with the ai700

But i have no comparason to go by

take5

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2008
lancs
AKA
brian
I owned the AI 500 and 700 at the same time. They are both nice, but I liked the 500 better with my speakers, which are Snells. A bit more weight to the sound, more energy. Ballsy as Steve said.

The tone quality was really nice too.

I heard Steves Unisis a few times and it was really nice, but I didnt hear it against the AI500.

I think the 500 is fantastic for what they go for, and you can pretty well get your money out if you want to change later.

P

Philv

Hum - the ming da does sound interesting.

does it really have the caracteristics of a quality set amp,ifier?

Bourney

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What are the characteristics of a typical SET amp? I have one but don't know what the benefits of single ended are?

ridley

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 12, 2007
Leicester, , United
AKA
Simon
The MingDa sounds great with my AN/E's but could well sound crap with the wrong speakers I guess, I've not tried it.

So, with the right speakers its one of the sweatest amps I've owned with lovely mids/vocals & very good bass, though not the best on leading edges that I've heard.

Simon.

P

Philv

Appany other quality valve integrated i shoud consider around 500 or so that i can move on easily if its not right

cherrd

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not that much at that price point to go for apart from the Chinese ones.

Puresound and CR developments (if you can find the latter) are affordable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.