Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Boys, is there anything to be gained by adding a power amp of some description ( suggestions here if yes?) to my current set up, using the pre out of me A3.2 integrated? Ta as ever for your time !

hifikrazy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
, ,
AKA
Tim
Depends a lot upon the amp and the speakers. Ive heard biamping give very good results on some occasions but on others only very negligible. See how helpful i am! Only way to know is to try it out.

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
IME, the biggest improvements come from pre-amp upgrades. If I were you I'd either look at getting a better integrated such as an MF A308, or upgrade to a pre/power setup.

Lefty

E

earl of sodbury

Adding a power amp and biamping the PMCs was the biggest single-box upgrade I made - I prefer that to monoblocking the power amps or going pre/power. But... Gobind tried the very same thing and was quite unmoved by it...

However, buying a power amp is a pretty safe bet so long as you pay a sensible price, as they are always sought-after and you'll get your money back if you don't likeit.

churz, eofs

hifikrazy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
, ,
AKA
Tim
Lefty wrote:

IME, the biggest improvements come from pre-amp upgrades. If I were you I'd either look at getting a better integrated such as an MF A308, or upgrade to a pre/power setup.Lefty
I have found that thereis some mileage in this, a few integrated amps have seperate pre/power sections. If you just use the power amp section (or the pre)on these its oftenquite obviousthat the pre section is more limiting than the power section(less transparent, veiled etc, all those type of descriptions).

ultrasonic

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2006
, , United Kingdom
Hmm im in the same situation ice...so would a 308 pre-power sound better than a bi-amped 308 integrated and power? Then theres that Tri vista wich pumps out 340wpc... decisions, decisions! Why did they make the kW stuff look so shyte...
sad.png

hifikrazy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
, ,
AKA
Tim
ultrasonic wrote:

Hmm im in the same situation ice...so would a 308 pre-power sound better than a bi-amped 308 integrated and power? Then theres that Tri vista wich pumps out 340wpc... decisions, decisions! Why did they make the kW stuff look so shyte...
sad.png
Depends on what you mean by better, they bring different things to the party. Others are probably more qualified to comment though

G

icehockeyboy wrote:

Boys, is there anything to be gained by adding a power amp of some description ( suggestions here if yes?) to my current set up, using the pre out of me A3.2 integrated? Ta as ever for your time !
Come on Icky whassup. Buy more expensive hifi and notice real improvement or save your dosh. Adding a power amp will only improve things in a very subtle way. Slightly better defined sounstage and bass . Is that worth £500 of your lolly. Cos its certainly not night and day differences. Buying a much better integrated or pre/power would be readily more noticeable in my opinion.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Like i said before - if you want a REAL AUDIBLE improvement change your integrated for something else. Pre-pwr or a better integrated ampas Danny says. Save up a bit longer if thats what it takes to get you a change worth keeping so you don't get the upgrade bug again in a few months. Why not even try auditioning some amps by other manufacturers too?

F

falconer1

earl of sodbury wrote:

Adding a power amp and biamping the PMCs was the biggest single-box upgrade I made - I prefer that to monoblocking the power amps or going pre/power. But... Gobind tried the very same thing and was quite unmoved by it... However, buying a power amp is a pretty safe bet so long as you pay a sensible price, as they are always sought-after and you'll get your money back if you don't likeit.

churz, eofs
Hi Earl.

If I remember correctly Gobind never did try bi-amping with his X-150 and XP-200.

This is something I have in mind myself in the future,the only thing is the XP-200 is as rare as hens teeth,also a bit pricey. dont know if there is an alternative amp.

Cheers.falconer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online