advise re MM cartridge

Timlin

Wammer
New Wammer
May 2, 2013
Hi I'm a long time lurker. I am looking for a bit of advice ; I am looking to get a MM cartridge to use on an Optinica deck I bought at a car boot sale. I am playing this through a conrad johnson PV11, a UHER UMA-1000 and castle howard speakers. Currently has a no name cartridge on it which came with it. It actually sounds ok but i suspect it could sound better!

I listen to mainly rock, dance, electro but very little classical or jazz.

I haven't bought a cartridge for a long time so would appreciate any advice or if anyone has anything suitable they would like to sell. I am hoping to spend up to £100.

Thanks in advance

dannybgoode

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2019
Up t'North
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Goldring E3 that I can let go. Super MM cartridge and only looking to move on as I accidentally bought a Rega Ania. PM me of interested. 

Mother than that the Nagaoka MP110 and whatever Ortofon 2M is around that price are solid choices too. 

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Difficult one - if it were me the Optonica in my view is hardly likely to allow an expensive cartidge to perform at its best.  I would err on the side of good value cheapies or mid priced from the likes of Ortofon, Audio Technica, Goldring and Grado.

Timlin

Wammer
New Wammer
May 2, 2013
Thanks for the quick responses.

The advise about going for going for good value cheapie seems very sound. I just saw the Optonica and was taken with it's old school Jap styling (which I like) I would just like to get the best I can out of it.

Timlin

Wammer
New Wammer
May 2, 2013
Thanks for the advice Danny. I just googled the Goldring E3, looks a good 'possible'. How old is it an what are you looking for ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

dannybgoode

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2019
Up t'North
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the advice Danny. I just googled the Goldring E3, looks a good 'possible'. How old is it an what are you looking for ?

Thanks
It’s essentially new. Not got more that 25 hours on it. I was thinking £50 + postage. 

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d be interested in seeing a picture of your turntable as Mr Google suggests there were myriad Sharp Optonica designs, some of which might merit something better than budget.  

That said, my default choice for an older Japanese turntable would also be a modestly priced Audio-Technica, as already mentioned. 

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would also recommend the AT 95 a surprisingly good cartridge, for beer money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online