Affinity Photo Just £29.99 for Mac & Windows

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
Basically, yes it is good.  It isn't as good as Photoshop but it's only £30.  It mirrors a lot of what Photoshop does and it is compatible with many Photoshop plugins such as Silver Efex, Color Efex etc.  If you're good at Photoshop, the learning curve is pretty reasonable.

Where it fails is that it does not have the same number of tutorials that Photoshop has.  The knowledge base that Photoshop has is really really important; if I want to find out how to do something, It's quick in Adobe but in Affinity, it's a bigger project.

I did wonder about transitioning to Capture One and Affinity as my Photoshop requirements are modest.  Adobe is a very warm comfort blanket though.

• Upvote
Reactions: geraint

Bolts

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 10, 2013
Kingston Surrey
AKA
Ben
I was wondering if you'd given Capture One 10 a go, HHM.  I too, appreciate the Adobe community and love Photoshop CC but Lightroom for Xtrans RAW is not ideal IMO. I've largely resolved these issues through using Alien Skin Exposure, which is getting better with each upgrade, also PhotoNinja where noise reduction is required. I suppose I was thinking 'couldn't this all be done in one programme?', but Capture One doesn't quite grab me (yet).

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
Capture One is a Lightroom replacement rather than a Photoshop replacement. I had a go at Capture One 9 but not 10. I thought that the mono capability was stronger in Capture than in Lightroom but you get more frequent updates with Lightroom so if you have a camera which is newer than six months old, Lightroom is more likely to offer support. 

Although there are better ways than Adobe to convert 16meg Fuji files, it is less of a problem with 24meg files IMO.

I don't know which direction I'll go. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online