Also can’t access the site without VPN

bobovox

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 21, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The other thread was closed so had to start a new one.

Similar problem to @DomT - I can’t log in using my ISP (PlusNet). No problem with cellular network and no problem if I connect to my work VPN.

I have tried rebooting the router to no avail. So far this is the only site I’m having problems with.

WamAdmin

👻
Staff member
Mar 19, 2020
AKA
Admin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The other thread was closed so had to start a new one.

Similar problem to @DomT - I can’t log in using my ISP (PlusNet). No problem with cellular network and no problem if I connect to my work VPN.

I have tried rebooting the router to no avail. So far this is the only site I’m having problems with.
Sounds like a local issue, All I can advise is a hard router reset or contact ISP.

The forum has 100% uptime since migration.

Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 09.49.53.png

I have had a similar issue to yourself and DomT with another site, and a HARD reset of my router fixed this.

Clearing browsing data and cache can sometimes fix this.

Reactions: marywhitehouse

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds like a local issue, All I can advise is a hard router reset or contact ISP.

The forum has 100% uptime since migration.

Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 09.49.53.png

I have had a similar issue to yourself and DomT with another site, and a HARD reset of my router fixed this.

Clearing browsing data and cache can sometimes fix this.
What does HARD reset mean?

Cambs12

Apr 11, 2010
Cambridgeshire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From a quick google search...

How to Perform a 30-30-30 Router Reset​

Although any given router's procedure may differ, in general, the following steps tend to work on most brands of routers.

1. With the router plugged in and powered on, depress the reset button for 30 seconds. This button is usually a tiny dot recessed into the back of the router. You may need a jeweler's screwdriver or a bent paperclip to access it.

2. While still holding down the button, unplug the router from its power source for another 30 seconds.

3. With the reset button still held down, turn the power back on and hold for another 30 seconds.
After this 90-second process is complete, your router is restored to its factory default state. Your particular router may not require the full 30-30-30 procedure. Some routers can be hard reset after only 10 seconds and without power cycling, but the 30-30-30 approach won't harm the router. Memorizing and following this 30-30-30 rule is recommended as a general guideline.

After a router has been reset, log in to it with the default IP address, username, and password that it was originally configured with. If your router is from one of the major router manufacturers such as NETGEAR, Linksys, Cisco, or D-Link, you'll find the default information for your router at their websites or in the documentation that came with the router.

• Thanks
Reactions: DomT and Roo

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can’t log in using my ISP (PlusNet).

Just in case it's relevant I'll say I had what sounds like the same issue via PlusNet back in July, and just using my laptop but not my mobile phone on the same network. I could also log in OK on PCs at work. In my case I didn't work too hard to try to fix it as I was about to switch ISPs to Vodafone at the time and wondered if that may resolve it, which it did.

I didn't try using a VPN at the time.

Reactions: bobovox

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From a quick google search...

How to Perform a 30-30-30 Router Reset​

Although any given router's procedure may differ, in general, the following steps tend to work on most brands of routers.

1. With the router plugged in and powered on, depress the reset button for 30 seconds. This button is usually a tiny dot recessed into the back of the router. You may need a jeweler's screwdriver or a bent paperclip to access it.

2. While still holding down the button, unplug the router from its power source for another 30 seconds.

3. With the reset button still held down, turn the power back on and hold for another 30 seconds.
After this 90-second process is complete, your router is restored to its factory default state. Your particular router may not require the full 30-30-30 procedure. Some routers can be hard reset after only 10 seconds and without power cycling, but the 30-30-30 approach won't harm the router. Memorizing and following this 30-30-30 rule is recommended as a general guideline.

After a router has been reset, log in to it with the default IP address, username, and password that it was originally configured with. If your router is from one of the major router manufacturers such as NETGEAR, Linksys, Cisco, or D-Link, you'll find the default information for your router at their websites or in the documentation that came with the router.

This is a naive question, but is there any danger of doing something like this causing a router to lose any ISP-specific configuration that may have been set?

WamAdmin

👻
Staff member
Mar 19, 2020
AKA
Admin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is a naive question, but is there any danger of doing something like this causing a router to lose any ISP-specific configuration that may have been set?
I can't honestly answer this with a yes or a no. But, I do this on a regular basis and I have never encountered any problems as a result of doing so.

Reactions: Cambs12 and MartinC

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
set DNS in the router to OpenDNS, if the ISP lock you out (AKA nanny knows best) then change the router or ISP, or both.
for what it's worth I have never, ever used a modem/router/hub provided by any ISP as they are in my opinion built to the cheapest price possible and far too often not secure . . .

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is this really all a local hardware issue? I just had trouble logging in on multiple attempts in various browsers. And for a litany of reported reasons. above all cookie acceptance, which I accepted but was still blocked... yet I just logged-in without accepting any cookies. In fact I refused them and always have my browser set to accept minimal cookies, including other add-ons to regulate them.

What's afoot?

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
is someone can't logon without using a VPN it's fair to say its a local issue when lots of other users logon without a VPN, in fact I'd hazard a guess that most users don't have VPNs on their devices. I last used one for work before I retired now I have no use for one.

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
is someone can't logon without using a VPN it's fair to say its a local issue when lots of other users logon without a VPN, in fact I'd hazard a guess that most users don't have VPNs on their devices. I last used one for work before I retired now I have no use for one.
Right now on another website I use only some people are registering logon issues and persistent 502/503 issues. This is not automatically 'local'.

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am not a network guru but I *think* 502 could be a connection issue in the routing, hence why localised to devices / connections
503 is odd as many times is an overloaded server - very unlikely with the hosting improvements but one for @Roo

WamAdmin

👻
Staff member
Mar 19, 2020
AKA
Admin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
using multiple browsers/devices won't make a difference in this case as the root cause seems to be network, the best thing you can do, is either connect to another network if you have one or while using your phone just disable Wi-Fi and try to connect via your mobile network.

I've got an evening of meetings/zooms tonight so when I get a second I'll be actively working on figuring out the root cause of this.

bobovox

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 21, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks all for suggestions here - I’ve tried changing the DNS server as per the website Simon linked to - unfortunately still not able to see this site but all other websites still OK. I will try unplugging the router for an hour+ tonight. If that doesn’t work I will try the hard reset.

Reactions: Roo

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got an evening of meetings/zooms tonight so when I get a second I'll be actively working on figuring out the root cause of this.
I do wonder if it's specific to certain ISP(s) so like you say try mobile-only, but over to you sir

bobovox

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 21, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve tried a 30-30-30 reset and still not able to see the forum, except on the cellular network or when logged in to a VPN network.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have issues with BT occasionally thinking a website is evil and needs to be blocked, but doesn't tell you why or gives a mysterious gobbledygook message. Could this be an issue, maybe in parental controls or firewall?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.