Oldgit
Wammer
Dec 5, 2020
Leicester
AKA
hugh
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is kind of a long term review of the Arcam A32 Integrated Amp.

When I was new to this audio game I looked on forums such as this for some insight into what was good and what was not so good. What was class A or A/B ? What does bi-amping do ? What’s a good cheap speaker cable ? It was all very confusing. I still know very little but if you are in the position I was in back then and are currently looking for an integrated amplifier this may help.

My recent attempt to “upgrade” my amp has made me realise all the things my Arcam A32 doesn’t have. Things I had never noticed until I started looking for it’s replacement.

It doesn’t have “pace, rhythm and timing”, it doesn’t have a punchy bass, a forward mid-range or crystal clear highs. It doesn’t hum or hiss. It doesn’t get hot. In breaks in the music it’s silent. No matter how loud or quietly it’s playing. It doesn’t add anything to the music or throw a veil over anything. In 12 years it has never broken down. I have never wondered if it would sound better with a new power lead or maybe better interconnects. Or maybe it needs a plinth ? No, it just sits there contributing nothing to the music apart from making it quieter when I want it quiet and louder when I want it louder. Until I started researching a possible new amp I didn’t appreciate how rare these things seem to be. My amp had become an invisible link between the vinyl/cd and the speakers.

As for the things it does do. When Melody Gardot starts to sing on the live disc of “My One & Only Thrill” she comes out of total black silence. When I close my eyes she is there with us, so are the band. This might be where someone comes in and infers that it’s because I’m not of the cognoscenti or points out that I haven’t heard a real reference system. Well this bit is for you. When I come downstairs after 2 hours practicing the cello and want some inspiration I might put on JS Bach’s 6 suites by Istvan Vardai. The sound from his cello that comes through my speakers is very, very similar to about 3 minutes of the sounds I was making upstairs ;) . It sounds remarkably like a cello. It has texture. I recognise it. And, if I’m listening to Camille Thomas her cello still sounds like a cello when the orchestra joins in. It doesn’t become some non-descript string instrument in amongst everything else. It stays distinct from all the other distinct instruments. All in their own space, with space between.

It has a good phono stage and makes a really good headphone amp. It seems to have a comfortable 100 watts into 8 ohms. You can turn off the display leaving only 3 little pale green lights, which looks really cool. It can be controlled by a Marantz SA8005 remote ?

The last thing it does is....goes for about £450 second hand.

So if you are just starting out, or just fed up with merry-go-round you could do far worse than one of these. I have changed quite a few items over the years but it had never occurred to me to change the A32. Until one day I thought how nice it would be to have one in black to match the Michell Gyro but couldn’t find one.

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi-fi isn't an exact science. It all boils down to many things, such as synergy with the rest of your kit, room acoustics, musical taste blah blah blah...

As a big Arcam fan I understand the appeal, but others may prefer a different flavour. The basic rule of thumb is if it sounds good to you, it is good. Age and forum and professional reviews aren't important if you like what it does.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It doesn’t have “pace, rhythm and timing”, it doesn’t have a punchy bass, a forward mid-range or crystal clear highs. It doesn’t hum or hiss. It doesn’t get hot. In breaks in the music it’s silent. No matter how loud or quietly it’s playing. It doesn’t add anything to the music or throw a veil over anything. In 12 years it has never broken down. I have never wondered if it would sound better with a new power lead or maybe better interconnects. Or maybe it needs a plinth ? No, it just sits there contributing nothing to the music apart from making it quieter when I want it quiet and louder when I want it louder. Until I started researching a possible new amp I didn’t appreciate how rare these things seem to be. My amp had become an invisible link between the vinyl/cd and the speakers.
I am a little confused as your review says all the things you think the A32 does not have and then you recommend it (I agree with the recommendation).  The PRAT thing - much of this is to do with synergy with the speakers in use and of course the source providing the signal. 

I do not think any cables (and yes I do think they sound different) will make a difference in the PRAT area (except if you send a couple of grand on them then quite a few in here will think "prat".  The A32 is perhaps "warm and cuddly" but it has drive and pace to my ears when partnered with the right loudspeakers.  IMO it has a slightl bloom to the  bottom end so if matched with speakers with a slight bloom (or boom) then the effect will be increased .. but it does not lack bass drive to my ears neither is it short on detail in the middle and top end.  I think this review matches to a large degree my impression of the A32 .. http://www.hifi-review.com/152129-arcam-fmj-a32.html

As to good speaker cable I use something very similar to this (got mine many years ago more than 500 strands of OFC copper) Product Code:  992012  https://www.electriccable.co.uk/RWDspeakercableTECC10.php#TECC10  it is cheaper than the Van Dam people seem to rave about and has more strands of copper.  However, one of the things I have noted with speaker cables is - the more strands the more bass - less strands and less bass so it may be worth experimenting with this and a thinner lesser strand cable (after all from this source it is hardly expensive).

You did not fill in your profile so we cannot see  the rest of your kit (sources and loudspeakers) which makes it hard to comment overall.   All I do know is if one was looking for an amplifier replacement for the A32, a good benchmark to start with is the Sudgen A21 - it does just about everything right (but its achilles heel is its power .. you need speakers with 89db efficiency and preferably over 90 if you listen as loud as I do t times) .. it may not be the amp for you but it will let you know what a great amp sounds like (and even saying that not everyone likes it but it gives you a point in the sand from which you can determine what you are looking for perhaps).  

Nice to have another old git - even better if you are a grumpy old git like me.  

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Uzzy I am pleased that you found a speaker cable that works for you, but you have to accept that the sound of interconnects & speaker cables is very system dependent. Over a period of very many years I have probably tried more cables in my various systems than most, courtesy of working for a large cable distributor & being able to make up as many lengths of all of them as I pleased. Taking speaker cables specifically, these ranged from simple power cables to control cables, military spec instrumentation cables, special application cables you name it, with various jackets, screens etc, solid & multi stranded, copper, silver plated, tinned,, pure silver & so on, & I can say with authority that some sound different & some sound the same! What works in one system may not work in another, & while there is some truth in what you say about multi stranded helping bass, I currently use Tellurium Q Ultra Blue & would say any other cable I have tried to date would have a job improving on what I have now, & I believe it is 2 x 79/0.2.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great write up old it, I do find arcam are great amps for the money , using a diva amp I do find it has just the right balance of pace and timing. I have added a dc blocker which has improved the timing

Also the a32 and others can be used as a power amp if necessary with a better pre

I was enjoying melody gardot through some small b&w yesterday and it was extremely good with vocals , very musical and engaging. Rather good really

I currently have 3 arcam integrated amps and they are worth trying 

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Uzzy I am pleased that you found a speaker cable that works for you, but you have to accept that the sound of interconnects & speaker cables is very system dependent. Over a period of very many years I have probably tried more cables in my various systems than most, courtesy of working for a large cable distributor & being able to make up as many lengths of all of them as I pleased. Taking speaker cables specifically, these ranged from simple power cables to control cables, military spec instrumentation cables, special application cables you name it, with various jackets, screens etc, solid & multi stranded, copper, silver plated, tinned,, pure silver & so on, & I can say with authority that some sound different & some sound the same! What works in one system may not work in another, & while there is some truth in what you say about multi stranded helping bass, I currently use Tellurium Q Ultra Blue & would say any other cable I have tried to date would have a job improving on what I have now, & I believe it is 2 x 79/0.2.
I was cursing some telluriam q jumpers the other day, right pitb to put in situ !!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Speedracer and uzzy

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Uzzy I am pleased that you found a speaker cable that works for you, but you have to accept that the sound of interconnects & speaker cables is very system dependent.
Well I offered what I used but you will note at the beginning I said "I do not think any cables (and yes I do think they sound different) will make a difference in the PRAT"   

Over the years of also trying many cables and doing blind tests I came to the conclusion they were more people dependent than system dependent (what some liked someone else didn't and most were unable to pick out in a blind test the cables they previously thought were best .. the only consistent time we picked cables we thought were better was the analogue connection of a CD to the amp).

What we all agree on (with no argument) is cables are a personal choice :D  

oldgit

Oldgit
Wammer
Dec 5, 2020
Leicester
AKA
hugh
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am a little confused as your review says all the things you think the A32 does not have and then you recommend it (I agree with the recommendation).  The PRAT thing - much of this is to do with synergy with the speakers in use and of course the source providing the signal. 

I do not think any cables (and yes I do think they sound different) will make a difference in the PRAT area (except if you send a couple of grand on them then quite a few in here will think "prat".  The A32 is perhaps "warm and cuddly" but it has drive and pace to my ears when partnered with the right loudspeakers.  IMO it has a slightl bloom to the  bottom end so if matched with speakers with a slight bloom (or boom) then the effect will be increased .. but it does not lack bass drive to my ears neither is it short on detail in the middle and top end.  I think this review matches to a large degree my impression of the A32 .. http://www.hifi-review.com/152129-arcam-fmj-a32.html

As to good speaker cable I use something very similar to this (got mine many years ago more than 500 strands of OFC copper) Product Code:  992012  https://www.electriccable.co.uk/RWDspeakercableTECC10.php#TECC10  it is cheaper than the Van Dam people seem to rave about and has more strands of copper.  However, one of the things I have noted with speaker cables is - the more strands the more bass - less strands and less bass so it may be worth experimenting with this and a thinner lesser strand cable (after all from this source it is hardly expensive).

You did not fill in your profile so we cannot see  the rest of your kit (sources and loudspeakers) which makes it hard to comment overall.   All I do know is if one was looking for an amplifier replacement for the A32, a good benchmark to start with is the Sudgen A21 - it does just about everything right (but its achilles heel is its power .. you need speakers with 89db efficiency and preferably over 90 if you listen as loud as I do t times) .. it may not be the amp for you but it will let you know what a great amp sounds like (and even saying that not everyone likes it but it gives you a point in the sand from which you can determine what you are looking for perhaps).  

Nice to have another old git - even better if you are a grumpy old git like me.  

Sorry if my review seemed a bit convoluted. It was aimed more at someone like me of 15 years ago. I was just trying to recommend a reliable amp to start out with that won't break the bank or need too many other add-ons to make it sound good. When you look for tips on some of these forums you can sometimes end up getting a slightly suspect physics lesson.

With regard to my kit ( please bear with, this is also for any "me's" looking in ) - 

I have a Michell Gyro SE turntable which I treated myself to for my 50th. It is designed in such a way that the vibrations from the motor have no route to the stylus, so the only movement in the stylus is from following the grooves in the vinyl. I recently changed the cartridge to a Denon DL110 and have not regretted it.

I have a Marantz SA8005 CD player. It had great reviews and is the highest up the Marantz line before you start getting into silly money. It plays SACD's and you can connect a usb to it from your laptop enabling you too take advantage of the "digital to analogue converter" in the CD player. It has a good remote but unfortunately you can't fast-forward.

I have Monitor Audio Silver 6 floorstanding speakers. I bought these after demoing them against 4 or 5 other speakers. They are front & rear ported and I have them about 12" from the wall behind them. Mine are gloss black and the detailing on them puts so many speakers to shame.

My speaker cables are 14 AWG (american wire gauge) 99% copper. They are 14 AWG because at that width the cross sectional area is sufficient as to not impede the electrical signal over the 5m length of my cables ( see impedance). They are by Van Damme and I picked them because in their clear sleeves the copper blends well with my oak floor.

Also in the set-up are some Sennheiser HD800 headphones, a Musical Fidelity M1 HPA headphone amp and a Graham Slee Reflex Era Gold phono stage.

My system works in my room and sounds as good as I will ever need it to sound. Unlike the majority of hifi enthusiasts I don't have to concern myself about whether it needs to sound better. I have a benchmark. I can bring the cello into the living room and play a few notes in first position. I can then press play on the CD and listen to Sheku playing at a similar volume. Check over. 

****** On that point. If I could go back and say anything to my former self it would be to start playing the cello sooner. I am 60 now and have been learning for about a year. I have to tell you that listening to music through a good system is a joy but actually playing yourself, no matter how badly, is a thousand times better. It jet washes your soul. Yes some Focal Grande Utopias in a gazillion pound system might be indistinguishable from the real thing but you can't feel the strings vibrating through the body of the cello into your chest or the deep satisfaction of playing 3 or 4 staves with no errors. If you are a music lover you owe it to yourself to at least try to play something before you croak. ******

Reactions: uzzy

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for that Old G .. I meant to fill it in your profile lol 

When you fill in the details on your profile you get a down arrow (two of) on the left under your name - one being personal data (area you live) and below that Wigwam info which will be TT Amp etc etc .. 

The advantage of the former is it is handy to be able to contact local wammers to meet up (Covid permitting) or get together for a chin wag ,, and the latter means when you post a query or whatever we can click and see what you have - the above is great but it will be forgotten tomorrow (or sooner with me).

Lovely to see you enjoying your hobby and as for playing I totally agree - having done folk clubs playing guitar and singing badly in my earlier years and playing drums in a band (equally badly) for some years.  Even not playing - the experience of live gigs is the next best thing ... Most of us are fully in agreement that for a first amp people can do far worse than start with an Arcam .. Have a great Christmas and hopefully a better 2021 than this year :)  

oldgit

Oldgit
Wammer
Dec 5, 2020
Leicester
AKA
hugh
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you Uzzy.

I'll fill it in properly tomorrow but at the minute I'm listening to Scritti Politti, amongst others. The kids introduced me to spotify recently and my "Mix" for today is 90% spot on.

For the record I'm listening through some Grado Sr80i headphones plugged into the side of a tired old HP Pavillion laptop and it sounds bloomin great..

Have a great xmas yourself !

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another excellent thread, and more insightful posts from oldgit. 

You know, it would be nice to know your name. oldgit seems somehow dismissive and disrespectful. 

I'm Jerry, it's on display in my signature and in my profile, I prefer it when people call me that. But such things are personal preference, like choices in hifi. 

I love your calm self assurance... the way you so nimbly headed off possible criticisms of your choice of speakers in your 1st thread. Quite masterful. :)

Good luck finding a black Arcam A32. 

Last edited by a moderator:

mr neds

Wammer
Wammer
May 6, 2008
SE London, , Uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The RS6 came up in another Arcam thread this week. If I could have floorstanders, I'd definitely check them out, but standmounts and a small sub work better in my room. There's been a lot of talk recently of the higher priced older Arcam amps being a good buy. I'm trying to upgrade from an A19, whch is most of the things that Oldgit likes about his A32, but it lacks some realism and get up and go, for me. Should have bought the A38 on here last month......... :doh:

oldgit

Oldgit
Wammer
Dec 5, 2020
Leicester
AKA
hugh
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another excellent thread, and more insightful posts from oldgit. 

You know, it would be nice to know your name. oldgit seems somehow dismissive and disrespectful. 

I'm Jerry, it's on display in my signature and in my profile, I prefer it when people call me that. But such things are personal preference, like choices in hifi. 

I love your calm self assurance... the way you so nimbly headed off possible criticisms of your choice of speakers in your 1st thread. Quite masterful. :)

Good luck finding a black Arcam A32. 
Thanks Jerry.

My name is Hugh but to be honest I don't think of Oldgit in a bad way. To me it's a badge of honour.  It means I'm a product of better days and that I've been around long enough to tell S%#t from Shinola.

As for the "calm self assurance" that's been essential. I'm married to a Welsh woman with MS. If she smells fear on you you're a goner  :(

Reactions: JANDL100

oldgit

Oldgit
Wammer
Dec 5, 2020
Leicester
AKA
hugh
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Black A32 for sale from the Netherlands!
Thank you very much. I'll sound it out, but to be honest after spending 4 hours on spotify last night I have been looking at the Bluesound Node 2i this evening.

Never been to Antwerp but I used to go to Hamme every 3 months with my job. Had some great food, good Gin and really nice bike rides along the banks of the river.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles