Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are several retailers with that 20% off I noticed, including Hifi Madness who offer a wide range of cartridges and stuff. I got my AT cartridge from them a few months ago.

On another forum I’ve read that the newer Arcam A5 CD player doesn’t play gap less ly, a fundamental flaw that should prohibit its sale imo. I’d want to be confident this older Arcam wasn’t similarly afflicted, as otherwise I looks a bargain.

Bogart

Bogart
Wammer
Nov 18, 2020
Norwich
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are several retailers with that 20% off I noticed, including Hifi Madness who offer a wide range of cartridges and stuff. I got my AT cartridge from them a few months ago.

On another forum I’ve read that the newer Arcam A5 CD player doesn’t play gap less ly, a fundamental flaw that should prohibit its sale imo. I’d want to be confident this older Arcam wasn’t similarly afflicted, as otherwise I looks a bargain.
To be honest I have never got this thing about gapless, maybe because I am a luddite.
I also have used HiFi Madness 20% off to buy cartridges and stylii

Reactions: Nopiano

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Available from Peter Tyson at £499 with another 20% off , max £75, using code SAVENOW brings price down to £424 looks a bargain to me.
Bought one full price about 18 months ago , sounded ok but was cheap and nasty , hated it so sent it back . Since Harman took them on the build quality is just not the same as the FMJ .

Bogart

Bogart
Wammer
Nov 18, 2020
Norwich
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bought one full price about 18 months ago , sounded ok but was cheap and nasty , hated it so sent it back . Since Harman took them on the build quality is just not the same as the FMJ .
Instead of a factory now all they have, apparently, is an office front for as you say HK.
Mind you still a decent price me thinks.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
TUI say: You don't get something for nothing.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought a Canadian firm bought them have they changed hands again?

I noticed the new owners changed the meaning of FMJ from Full Metal Jacket (ie special anti resonance case) to Faithful Musical Joy (ie cheap shit case and meaningless marketing claptrap). This summed up the direction of the company to me.

Last edited:
  • Upvote
Reactions: Bazzer

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just looked it up, the Canadian firm (JAM Industries) was 2012-2017 shows how behind the times I am!

WolvesWill

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 4, 2010
Wolverhampton
AKA
William Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have both a CDS50 and an SA10 amplifier, and the build quality is perfectly acceptable for the price point in my opinion. A much more solid chassis and rear panel than the marantz separates I had up until the mid 2000s era, for example. I've never experienced the older FMJ series but the HDA series are perfectly acceptable quality wise.

I say this having owned/used Sony, Technics, Bel Canto, Cambridge Audio, Marantz, Cyrus and Lyngdorf separates. The HDA series (Inc SA10, CDS50 etc) is in the upper half of these if ranked for perceived build quality, in my opinion.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had an A39 amp a few years ago I think it was. Then tried the SR250 and was very disappointed with the case compared to the older FMJ model. The streaming software was flaky too but to be fair I contacted them and they said they had a guy looking at the Android software and it did improve after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online