Arcam Solo Movie 5.1

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
I’ve replied by IM but for the purposes of those others following the thread, no, it’s not gapless. 

You can build a streamer for £50 these days so I believe this shouldn’t stop anyone picking up one of these. 

JTW

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2014
Cheshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve replied by IM but for the purposes of those others following the thread, no, it’s not gapless. 

You can build a streamer for £50 these days so I believe this shouldn’t stop anyone picking up one of these. 
Thanks, I have a pi and really rate it, the attraction of the Arcam had been in the potential for a radical reduction in the number of boxes, might still get one just for Video/TV though.

Ian 

JTW

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2014
Cheshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did finally get an answer from ARCAM confirming the lack og gapless with FLAC files.

"The choice we had was to make the unit universally compatible with UPnP servers and controllers, with wide compatibility for open audio formats, or restrict use to a single app and file format to allow gapless playback. We chose the former, so although it does not support gapless playback it does mean that you can use any UPnP app to control it. This is one reason why there is no Android app in development -- my particular app of choice is Bubble UPnP."

Oh well, although my Yamaha player does do gapless and can be controlled with other apps.

The search continues.

bigfool1956

Old Progger
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2008
Littlehampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I did finally get an answer from ARCAM confirming the lack og gapless with FLAC files.

"The choice we had was to make the unit universally compatible with UPnP servers and controllers, with wide compatibility for open audio formats, or restrict use to a single app and file format to allow gapless playback. We chose the former, so although it does not support gapless playback it does mean that you can use any UPnP app to control it. This is one reason why there is no Android app in development -- my particular app of choice is Bubble UPnP."

Oh well, although my Yamaha player does do gapless and can be controlled with other apps.

The search continues.
I have a Pioneer N50A, and it does gapless or it doesn't do gapless depending on your point of view and how you use it. If you ask the Pioneer to fetch the data from the DLNA server it will happily play gapless, on the other hand, if you ask the DLNA server to send the files to the Pioneer then it does not play gapless. The Pioneer app is crap, and the front screen is tiny, so it's rather annoying to say the least. I have to wonder why the Arcam wouldn't operate at a minimum like the Pioneer.

The DLNA standard is a mess and gapless depends on the correct prefetch information being sent, I guess with some servers the Pioneer might also have an issue, in which case they may get complaints about it not being gapless. Is this perhaps the reason opted for the easy but utterly shite solution?

BTW, I get round the Pioneer issue by having a playlist that I drop what I want to play into, and selecting it with the Pioneer. Only a couple of more button pushes and it works. In the end it's still a work around.

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Down to £800 at Sevenoaks. Just bought one this morning.
hi i hope you dontmindme asking , its a long time ago , but i have just seem the same system for sale local, for about 250 pounds , how did your sound etc, i feel 50 or what ever watts will be fine i got some big old speakers in a small room, but how did you get on with the thing , i like radio programme quiet a lot of radio , but alsoplenty of cd, i have a nice old marantz re issue 600 ose thing, but i am nottoo fussey about things if the cd play back is ok on the arcam it might be a good move, for me, there is a few others around at times, i missed one at £100 near me etc, bt thats the way isnt it some times, i was about 10 mins later than the chap popping along to pick itup , reghards richard,.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online