SOLD ART Audio Expression floorstander (monitors with 8 inch bass modules)

SOLD

jamington2004

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 27, 2010
Brighton, , United K
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Incredible modular design floorstanders from A.R.T audio in scotland.

Original price was £10k plus around 15 years ago.

Beautiful Kevlar drivers. Same as used in the bigger brother the flagship “impression” at the time. Our very own Yoda900 rated these very highly before upgrading to the bigger Impressions himself :)

Crossover Hand wound copper air core Inductors and Clarity cap custom made SA series capacitors

Internal Wiring Premium quality OFC copper internal wiring

Binding Posts WBT Platinum Plated input terminals

Just back from repair by ART, as one tweeter needing fixing, and on route the mid / bass driver of the monitor packed up possibly due to being thrown around in transit. So the driver had to be sent back to the French driver manufacturer for a complete rebuild :)

They are now tip top and ready for sale - purely because they are too big for my front room really so I went with some smaller active stand mounts.

Beautiful looking and sounding speakers - really unique design with top mounted ports in the monitor and the bass unit.

Some small marks to the stunning gloss gunmetal grey finish commensurate with age - nothing noticeable in situ, and nothing I would class as damage, just small chips / marks to the paintwork, ones in view have been painted over, couple of bare ones on the rear. Ones on front pictured below - penultimate is the worst but honestly you have to try hard to see it from the listening chair :))

Have them set back up to test and sounding sublime with my devialet amps, but I hear they are particularly well suited to valves as well.

And unless you are into organ music and in desperate need of the lowest of the low frequencies you won’t be needing a sub with these bad boys. I tried and it just wasn’t worth it for music.

Asking for £2,250 collected please considering the recent service bill!

Could me somewhere fairly close to Portslade nr Brighton

Let me know of any questions
Kind regards
Jamie

upload

Last edited:

jamington2004

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 27, 2010
Brighton, , United K
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Thanks both for the bump :)
If they were the bigger Impressions that have been listed for sale on here I would sell my house / or wife to accommodate them!!

Having second thoughts about these now they are back in use - they don’t seem so imposing now and sound something special!

Maybe I convinced myself unneccesarily I needed smaller speakers when I sent them for repair!!

Reactions: MVJ

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very nice.

They don't look too big, so unless you are having sound issues then keeping them seems the best move as you might not find something you like as much or which sounds as good in your room.

My ARTs were very receptive to IsoAcoustic Gaia's which on the wood floor might be worth a try, perhaps.

If you do decide to keep selling them, then class this as a free bump and good luck with the sale. ART make excellent speakers.

loosend

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 9, 2010
Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi Jamie
What are the specs on these as Google doesn’t show anything?

I’m not asking for myself as couldn’t collect them, if you were closer I’d be seriously considering them however.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamington2004

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Jamie
What are the specs on these as Google doesn’t show anything?

I’m not asking for myself as couldn’t collect them, if you were closer I’d be seriously considering them however.

I'd be interested in specs too please. I am interested for myself but need to look at funds / feasability etc...

Reactions: jamington2004

jamington2004

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 27, 2010
Brighton, , United K
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hi I found these online on an old ad for the monitors alone, but looking at the bass response I would suggest it has to be including the bass units.

In my room they seem to start dropping off at about 40hz. Bass is also seems well controlled and not as boomy as others I’ve had. Apparently Kevlar is very light but strong allowing fast response? Could also be the excellent Devialet amp I’m using them that adds to the control as it’s lots of power and current.

I did ask Art for specs before buying mine but apparently they lost a computer with some of their archives a few years back!

“Frequency Response 30Hz - 20 kHz ±3dB

Sensitivity 88.5dB/for I watt @1metre

Impedance 8 ohm nominal impedance not below 6.5 ohms

Recommended power Min 8 watts”
—————-

Due the tapered top section and gap in the middle they don’t look as big as if it was a big box all the way up

Dimensions are :
Height 1090mm (including feet that are tapped to allow screw in isolators / adjustable feet if you needed)

Top width 200mm
Bottom width 270mm
Top depth 300mm
Bottom depth 330mm

Happy to meet up with an hour or so of Portslade although of course best you hear them and are full of excitement for the drive home - rather than a stressful drive home wondering if you’ve been given an very heavy empty box!

Kind regards
Jamie

Reactions: andyrlb

jamington2004

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 27, 2010
Brighton, , United K
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Sound is such a personal thing - but if I had to describe the sound signature I would say extremely revealing / very clear / neutral but leaning towards the sparkly treble standing out if anything.

Bass wise very tight and well controlled - definitely leaning towards a flatter response rather than bass heavy.

Take with a pinch of salt though I am no hifi reviewer! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.