Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is now withdrawn from sale.

Following the purchase of my new to me Art Vinyl 1 phono I am going to let go of my Audion pre-amp as it is now left out of the signal chain & not needed. It is in very good shape both physically & electrically, & works perfectly. It operates in pure class A Triode, has 5 line inputs, 2 main outputs plus a tape out, & has a ground lift switch to help if grounding is an issue.

It doesn't really have a "house sound" & just gets out of the way so the music can flow, it has been heard at Lurch's bake offs & is well liked & respected. It is currently fitted with a pair of 6N2-J 9 pin triode valves & a pair of EF86's. I haven't had a problem with the valves so haven't done any rolling so cannot say how they would respond, but it sounds mighty fine to me.

I would prefer collection, although I am happy to deliver within say 50 miles of Bournemouth, but would consider posting if that was the only option. I don't have the original packaging but I am a packing master!

I would like Withdrawn

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hi- are there any marks on the unit? has it been recapped at all? Thank you Philip
Hi Philip,

I am sorry but I don't know if it has been recapped. I actually contacted John Caswell, a reputed repairer of Audion kit just a couple of weeks ago to ask his advice & he told me if it was still performing properly with no obvious causes of concern to leave it alone. He said Audion gear was well built & reliable & the only times to open it up was to either upgrade or to rectify a fault. I found it refreshing that he didn't bite my arm off & take my money for no reason.

There are some very tiny spider lines from polishing it, which is unavoidable but kept to a minimum, nothing other than that.

Cheers,

Brook.

Philiphifi

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2013
Guildford
AKA
Philip
hi Brook

Thank you for the reply. One of my 300b audion monoblocs needed repair to the output transformer a few months ago and I took it to John Caswell to fix. He was not a nice person to deal with and wanted to charge me double of what deco audio charged to fix the fault. I took my amp to deco audio to fix and recap both amps. Audion amps do sound very nice and worth the maintenance but the caps will need to be changed given the vintage. Are the marks at the front as shown in the photograph? (I am not sure if it's a reflection or not). 

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Philip,

The marks are as shown yes but the photographs make it look a lot worse than it is, I use a watch makers polishing cloth on it & it comes up a treat, there are no other marks such as dings or proper scratches, just very minor polishing swirls that in normal use you can't see because of how shiny it is.

Brook.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.