Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any one have experience of comparing like for like with models with the different bass drivers? What did you find was different/ better/ worse? 

Had a little play with some older Es which sound great - better than the kit ones I had with the ply cabinets and especially well matched with my Leben - I'm enjoying the midrange particularly but would have to have more solid bass for further consideration.

roob

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 22, 2009
stoke-on-trent, ,
AKA
andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure if I'm right here Steve but aren't the blue ones high efficiency hemp drivers to mate up with very low wattage amps?

Bourney

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think they are Andy,  just wondering if they different sonically. Got some older Es here if you want a listen mate 👍

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Steve I have not had an exact match between old and new here but have a pair of Audionote E/SPs with the normal black speakers. The newer speakers are the Audionote E/HE with blue hemp speakers and an external crossover.

My observations are the blue speakers are probably more efficient although some dealers have questioned that. It certainly sounds that way to me and my 18w/channel can make them go loud (damn loud). The newer speakers are more faster, dynamic and have a sparkling top end. (It is difficult to untangle what is the speaker and what is the crossover). I found that with the older black speaker the sound was warmer and much easier to listen to, especially with some modern digital recordings. I used to have the older speakers about 18" from the wall as I preferred that balance, as does some of our US cousins. That is not really possible with the newer hemp speakers. They need to be very close to the back wall and ideally in the corners. If not they can become a bit more 'up front' and mid-centric but not in a warm/organic way.

Two dealers told me they have customers who prefer the older softer type of sound but they believe that by putting them in the corners you can get the best of both worlds.

To be honest they sound sublime now in having an ideal mix of the warm/organic sound of Audionote with the dynamics and top end of a much more modern speaker.

orbscure

My God, its full of stars...
Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apologies for the slight thread drift chaps., I'm always interested in AN speaker threads... but I'm running a pair of AN-E/LX finished in curly maple which were sold to me as having hemp woofers. However, both woofers are black and not blue, so does that mean mine aren't hemp? 

roob

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 22, 2009
stoke-on-trent, ,
AKA
andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apologies for the slight thread drift chaps., I'm always interested in AN speaker threads... but I'm running a pair of AN-E/LX finished in curly maple which were sold to me as having hemp woofers. However, both woofers are black and not blue, so does that mean mine aren't hemp? 

These are described as hemp and are not blue http://www.audiokit.it/shop/en/audio-note/281153-audio-note-spkr-002h-hemp-cone-8-inch-woofer-4-ohm-copper-voice-coil-21-cm-basket.html

I think the blue ones are the ones with ALNICO magnets.

List of E model specs here https://www.manualslib.com/manual/536166/Audio-Note-An-E.html?page=5

orbscure

Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Many thanks for that Andrew, the second link matches the owners information which came with my speakers  :)  

I bought mine direct from PQ @ AN back in Feb'16 and they were definitely sold to me as one of two pairs (in different finishes) both with hemp woofers. However, the speaker backplate simply states AN-E/LX and the woofers are black and not blue. I'm not overly fussed, they sound sublime in my system, but if I ever decided to sell them on, I'd get a better return if they had hemp woofers. I'll drop PQ an email, along with their serial numbers and get a definitive answer :)  

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Pete,

If you got them from Peter at AN then they will be hemp with black cones. I remember early version of HE hemp were with blue cones and mine and a colleagues (new)  are also blue. But Peter Q has many, many variations on the Es and developments will change things, like colour. And as you say they are sublime.

orbscure

Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's what I'm expecting George, especially as they certainly don't have the texture or appearance of what I know and would expect paper cones to display. In any case, I've fired an email at PQ for 100% clarification, just in case I ever decide to move them on :)

huwge

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2007
Cymru
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
think the blue cones are invariably hemp and the black cones can be either

orbscure

Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had an email answer back from PQ @ AN and he confirmed that despite their serial numbers pointing to my AN-E's having hemp woofers, the fact that they are black and not blue means they are standard paper woofers. PQ has kindly offered to take the speakers back and have the drivers swapped over, so hopefully I'll be able to see how hemp woofers sound in comparison with their standard counterparts and report back with my findings :)  

orbscure

Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As way of an update, my AN-E's have been collected today and I've been promised that I'll have them back with the correct hemp woofers by the weekend. Super stuff by Andy/Peter @ AN. During my brief chat with Andy today, the hemp woofers provide better decay, so it'll be interesting to see how they compare to the 12 months of joy provided by the standard paper woofers  :)  

orbscure

Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I plan to add my thoughts/impressions Dmitry, but they take at least 50-100hrs to start running in, so once they've settled in, I'll post my comments here  :)  

orbscure

Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They did sound a tad harsh to begin with Nick... but in fairness, that was compared to a 12 month well run in pair of standard paper drivers. They've been in situ since 23rd February and have been used for around 60 hours now, so they are beginning to settle. Bass is certainly different, appearing deeper and richer. But bass is possibly the hardest aspect of these speakers to get right, with positioning to a wall or corner being vitally important. My AN-E's are toed in on sand filled AN stands with the nearest part of their backs being around 8 inches from the wall/corner. I did think they sounded quite sweet last night, but I may still have to experiment with their positioning, especially when playing music with deep bass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Pete, I know what you mean, changing something is nearly always a double edged sword. And more difficult when one is relying on a memory of how something was.

I must admit I have not heard AN Es but have always wondered . . . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online