Avi Labs Integrated or Exposure 23/28 Pre Power?

raynor73

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2008
Bromley
AKA
James
With the imminent arrival of a new baby and a large amount of funds required for a new office we're opening - I've had to pull the purse strings so tight recently that they have snapped off completely!

I've had the Exposures for over a year now and whilst there is nothing much wrong with them at all, my memory tells me the Berning I had previously was preferred by a margin. For this reason, I've wondered if I can better them and still manage to save some money.

I put them up for sale, but amazingly got nothing but a few low ball offers.

Then an AVi Labs integrated popped up in the classifieds and I took a punt after reading some amazing reviews.

The initial buzz of a new arrival kicked in and I instantly loved it. It was cleaner than the Exposures, went lounder without strain, was hugely detailed and offered more of an insight into the recording.

A few weeks passed and I realised I couldn't keep both. I swapped over the amps a few times listening to well known tracks, and whilst the presentations were very different, they both had their strengths.

Where the AVI was neutral, clean and precise in its presentation, the Exposures have a warmth, a bass to die for (making the Avi sound comparatively lean and lightweight), and have a boogie factor that makes your feet tap in a way that renders the Avi ever so slightly sterile, and dare I say a bit boring.

I put them both up for sale and got an offer for the AVi within minutes, and not a penny lost.

Another week has passed and I've realised that through sheer luck I seem to have kept hold of the amplifier that brings bigger smile to my face.

I think I'll be keeping this for a while longer now. Its not perfect by any stretch, but it really does make you forget about hifi and just enjoy music.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yep, very very different sounds ... of course, all ss amps sound the same! :p

I'd have kept the AVi, but we all have different tastes, don't we. :)

lordmortlock

Lordmortlock
Wammer
Jun 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We certainly do. The Avi was out of my rack and back in the classifieds in 36 hours - a record here. Transparent and quick but with the tonal richness of keyhole surgery.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ha ha - Hi Jake! ... and we normally are pretty much in agreement on audio. :) But yes, you have to get your colourations elsewhere if you use AVi Lab Series electronics! ;-) ... yes, sure, they are a bit stark, but I've heard some vintage Exposure kit and it's far too coloured for me. I recall a bakeoff at Daws0n's place - everyone there was grooving to the vintage Exposure integrated amp that had just been plumbed in ... except me, I was standing there absolutely baffled that anyone would want to listen to it! :D

raynor73

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2008
Bromley
AKA
James
I haven't heard older exposures and certainly agree that the combo I have has a distinct character, however the AVi labs was pretty dull by comparison. I think it's the way the Exposure does bass that I really, really like. I've never had an amp quite like it before. It's prodigious, it really is. I believe from reading reviews the AVi is accurate. However when I play leftfield it was a bit weak. Strange as when you see them live it's like standing in front of a pneumatic drill, in the sense that you feel it as much as hear it. You feel bass playing leftfield on my exposures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online