BAKEOFF ETIQUETTE

E

Effem

After attending to a few now and hosting one myself, I thought it might be a good idea to air some useful hints and tips to keepeveryone happy for a successful bakeoff

GOLDEN RULE NUMBER ONE: You are in someone else's home.

You might live like a slob in your house, but never assume everyone else does.Be respectful of your host's homeotherwise hemay not be allowed to host another bakeoff by his missus.

GOLDEN RULE NUMBER TWO: They are not your neighbours.

You may have the luxury of a detached house a zillion miles from your nearest neighbour but most of us are jammed into adjoining houses in this overcrowded country and it isn't right having your host getting the fury of the neighbours for the din you have madeonce you have gone home.

GOLDEN RULE NUMBER THREE: The owner of the kit commands the volume control

A couple of times now I have witnessed kit beingdamaged by too much enthusiasm with the volume control (or damn close), cases damaged by incorrect stacking, live leads left trailing aroundand touching when they shouldn't and power up/down procedures being not being correctly followed. Fine if you do it, but not when someone else has knackered it for you and you have to pick up the tab for sorting it.

GOLDEN RULE NUMBER FOUR: Everyone gets a turn

There is nothing more annoying I think than to box up your precious kit and take it along to a bakeoff and it has stayed boxed because it isn't flavour of the month, or someone has got this notion into their head that THEIR kit is the best ever and hogs the proceedings. In my opinion some of the BEST sounds have come from some very unlikely matchesfrom very diverse price tags. Same too with music; you may love reggae for examplebut not everyone else necessarily does, despite you thinking too that classical musicis mindlessly"boring".

GOLDEN RULE NUMBER FIVE: It's her house too

Your hostess doesn't have two heads or come down from another planet and the very least you can do is be polite and courteous to her, especially if she has spent a lot of her time sprucing up the place and laying on refreshments etc for you all. She doesn't want coffee stains all over her carpet, scratches on her furniture, dogends in her sink, a mountain of endless washing up, piddle stains in her bathroom, remains of sandwiches in her pot plants,deafened well beyond what volumeher old man listens to the music, but worst of all is to be ignored by guests in her own home, so a well timed "thank you" calling her by her name gets a lot of brownie points and less resistance from her for another bakeoff.

I say by following those few simple rules there's no reason why a bakeoff shouldn't be enjoyed by all
smile.png

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Having never been to a bake off (anyone in Brussels? anyone? No? right) I'm surprised that those things have to be mentioned:shock:

That said they all seem the least of curteous gestures:^

I don't think it's at all out of place for a bunch of flowers,Pierre Marcolini chocolates or what have you to be added to number 5 either

E

Effem

I didn't have any problems at the bakeoff at all and Maxine was fine about it too, although it was great that she provided the female slant to it.

My neighbour was as good as gold and he said he was actually enjoying most of the tunes he heard
biggrin.png

The post aboveis a gentle reminder that if you don't pay attention to those simplegolden rules it could easily go tits up quite quickly and what should be a thoroughly pleasant experience could turn into a nightmare

E

earl of sodbury

ooops, bit of an oversight -

GOLDEN RULE NUMBER SIX: the host should always provide them delicious pasties like what Frank brings

GOLDEN RULE NUMBER SEVEN: have a wash - even if there is an "R" in the month

GOLDEN RULE NUMBER EIGHT: don't forget to tellyour mummy where you're going

GOLDEN RULE NUMBER NINE: everyone loves horses - bring a horse to the bake-off

GOLDEN RULE NUMBER TEN: don't forget to blind-test them CD transports you dozy gits...

M

murray johnson

Not etiquette related exactly.

It would also be quite useful if when 6 or 7 people are gathered together in one place like this,an hour was set aside to resolve some issue once and for all. We had the opportunity to do a serious (possibly conclusive, certainly helpful) appraisal of SACD on saturday but time pressures etc meant we didn't do it. There seem to be many issues raised in the forum which might be resolved or be at least better understood ifseveral keen listeners tested them together. You'd only need to attack one issue but if it was decided (in advance) to look at a particular thing it might be possible to ensure that the necessary hardware and software was brought along to allow it to be examined.

Operating as a group, with greater resources re equipment & software etc it would probably be easier to come to some valid conclusions than it is trying to do the thing on your own.

regds,

Murray

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Effem wrote:

After attending to a few now and hosting one myself, I thought it might be a good idea to air some useful hints and tips to keepeveryone happy for a successful bakeoffGOLDEN RULE NUMBER ONE: You are in someone else's home.

You might live like a slob in your house, but never assume everyone else does.Be respectful of your host's homeotherwise hemay not be allowed to host another bakeoff by his missus.

GOLDEN RULE NUMBER TWO: They are not your neighbours.

You may have the luxury of a detached house a zillion miles from your nearest neighbour but most of us are jammed into adjoining houses in this overcrowded country and it isn't right having your host getting the fury of the neighbours for the din you have madeonce you have gone home.

GOLDEN RULE NUMBER THREE: The owner of the kit commands the volume control

A couple of times now I have witnessed kit beingdamaged by too much enthusiasm with the volume control (or damn close), cases damaged by incorrect stacking, live leads left trailing aroundand touching when they shouldn't and power up/down procedures being not being correctly followed. Fine if you do it, but not when someone else has knackered it for you and you have to pick up the tab for sorting it.

GOLDEN RULE NUMBER FOUR: Everyone gets a turn

There is nothing more annoying I think than to box up your precious kit and take it along to a bakeoff and it has stayed boxed because it isn't flavour of the month, or someone has got this notion into their head that THEIR kit is the best ever and hogs the proceedings. In my opinion some of the BEST sounds have come from some very unlikely matchesfrom very diverse price tags. Same too with music; you may love reggae for examplebut not everyone else necessarily does, despite you thinking too that classical musicis mindlessly"boring".

GOLDEN RULE NUMBER FIVE: It's her house too

Your hostess doesn't have two heads or come down from another planet and the very least you can do is be polite and courteous to her, especially if she has spent a lot of her time sprucing up the place and laying on refreshments etc for you all. She doesn't want coffee stains all over her carpet, scratches on her furniture, dogends in her sink, a mountain of endless washing up, piddle stains in her bathroom, remains of sandwiches in her pot plants,deafened well beyond what volumeher old man listens to the music, but worst of all is to be ignored by guests in her own home, so a well timed "thank you" calling her by her name gets a lot of brownie points and less resistance from her for another bakeoff.

I say by following those few simple rules there's no reason why a bakeoff shouldn't be enjoyed by all
smile.png
Ermm Thanks Dad.
tongue.png

G

Ermm Thanks Dad.
tongue.png

This may be more appropriate James:p

I've been sitting here all day thinking

Same old thing ten years away thinking

Now my days are gone, memories linger on

Thoughts of when I was boy

Pennyfarthings on the street riding

Motorcars were funny things, frightning

Bow and hoops and spinning tops

Annie gretzel's lollipops

Comic cuts, all different things

Grandad, grandad you're lovely

That's what we all think of you

Grandad grandad

Areoplanes tied up with string flying

Telephones and talking things sighing

A radio and phonograph, Charlie Chaplin made us laugh

Silently falling about

Familiar things I keep around, near me

Memories of my younger days, clearly

Now it's in my mind?

Everyday I find, thoughts of when I was boy

Grandad, grandad

Grandad, grandad

Grandad, grandad

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
Effem wrote:

....what should be a thoroughly pleasant experience could turn into a nightmare
:lmao:

Headlines the next day: 'Massive slaughterat meeting of hifhi enthusiasts'

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Funny how Frank posted these tips a couple of days after hosting his own bake-off. Right then chaps, who pissed onMaxine's toilet floor?

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
Number 11 - Hire a woodshed

Number 12 - Invite a chef... or Earl
wink.png

Number 13 - Dont have a rule No 13 its bad luck

Number 14 - Use the kitchen for dire straights avoidance and headphone rigs

G

Injector wrote:

Funny how Frank posted these tips a couple of days after hosting his own bake-off. Right then chaps, who pissed onMaxine's toilet floor?
prolly one of the old blokes
biggrin.png
or what about that new chap I.P. Squint.

JonR

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 3, 2005
Herts
AKA
Unknown
CDX+82+250+Allaes...yeah, maybe.

But I've got a much better Naim system than that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.