Baseball is back!

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok Chris you are going to have to explain the rules , I loosely support the White Sox but never know whats going on . How come if you get caught you are not out ?

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The rules are best picked up as you go along, I guess, apart from the basics.

I'm not sure I understand the second part of your comment, though.  If the batter hits the ball in the air and it is caught by a fielder then he is out.  It doesn't matter if the fielder is in fair or foul territory, he can even dive into the stands to make a catch!

Basic rules.

Each team has 9 players. (In the American League, the pitcher does not bat, but a 'designated hitter' bats but does not field. In the National League, the pitcher also takes his turn as a batter.) The game is played over 9 innings, each team batting in turn in each inning, away team first. When 3 men are out, their inning is over. If scores are tied after 9 innings, the game continues with even innings until there is a winner.

A batter who swings at a pitch and misses has a strike. A pitch thrown in the 'strike zone' - i.e. Over home plate and between the knees and the letters on his jersey which the batter does not swing at is also a strike. If he contacts the ball and the ball goes into foul territory, then it is a strike- but if he already has 2 strikes against him it cannot count as the third strike.  3 strikes and he is out.

If the pitch is outside the 'strike zone' and the batter does not swing, then it is called a 'ball'. 4 'balls' automatically allows the batter to walk to first base. Any runner on that base moves to second etc.

When a runner on base reaches home plate then a 'run' is scored. If a batter hits the ball out of the playing area within the foul lines and thus in fair territory, then it is a 'home run' and runs around the bases to home plate. Any runners already on base also run home and score.

If the batter hits the ball into fair territory he must run to first base before a fielder can throw the ball to the 1st baseman, if the ball beats him, he is out. Any runner on first base is forced to run to second base and can be out there if the ball is thrown to the fielder with his foot on the base, or otherwise in contact with the base, before he reaches it.

Those are some basic rules, I hope will help. But please ask any questions, I'll try to answer.  Mlb.tv usually has a free game each day, so I recommend watching a game or two to get the general idea. Some games start at 1.05 eastern time, so 6.05 our time.

Reactions: Bazzer

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not sure I understand the second part of your comment, though.  If the batter hits the ball in the air and it is caught by a fielder then he is out.  It doesn't matter if the fielder is in fair or foul territory, he can even dive into the stands to make a catch
The only bit I thought I knew I didn't  :doh:

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't fret, Barry, I learn something new about the game all the time and I've been watching for years!

It is mooted that the Yankees and Red Sox will play a series at the London Stadium in 2019. That would be fun.

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Yankees won game 2 of the series 4-2 behind the pitching of Masahiro Tanaka.  

The big hitters for the Yankees all failed, but the bottom of the lineup produced the goods.  But then even the greatest hitters will fail 7 times out of 10 on average.

C.C.Sabathia pitches this evening.

@Barry, the White Sox won their first game on Thursday 14-7 over Kansas City Royals.  They play again tonight.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Barry, the White Sox won their first game on Thursday 14-7 over Kansas City Royals
Cheers Chris , I did have a look  at the result , seems they are fancied to do quite well this season .

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Yankees lost the last two games of the series against Toronto, so they won 2 and lost 2.  It was close because they had a chance of winning in both games, but not to be.

Tomorrow is the "home opener" - the first home game of the season and it is against Tampa Bay.  A 6pm start UK time, so I shall be watching the game live.

The White Sox have won their first 2 games and go to Toronto now. At least their games there will not be postponed because of the weather, as was the problem in Kansas City - Toronto play in a domed stadium, if the weather isn't good the roof will be closed.

5th April the White Sox are at home to Detroit and the game is available free on mlb.com at 9pm.

Reactions: Bazzer

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Watched most of the Cardinals - Mets game on ESPN , picked it up quite quickly , not as easy to score as I first thought.

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yankees home opener was postponed because of snow - it is tonight at 9.10pm uk time. 

Toronto are lookng to be a good team this year, took 2 off the Yankees and then beat the White Sox last night.

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What a game last night at Yankee Stadium! In spite of the rain!

Yankees were leading 4-1 when pitcher Kahnle gave up 3 so that the Rays tied the game.  Then the Yankees scored again to finally win 11-4.

The big thng was shortstop Didi Gregorius who hit 2 3-run home runs, scored 3 runs and drove in 8.  8 runs-batted-in in one game is a franchise record for a shortstop.  He was magnificent.

https://www.mlb.com/video/must-c-didi-delivers-for-yanks/c-1905260383?tid=11493214

Last edited by a moderator:

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After an hour and a half rain-delay the second game of the Rays series got underway this evening. Luis Severino pitched fantastically well - he is the ace of the Yankee pitching staff.

2-run home runs from Giancarlo Stanton, Gary Sanchez and Aaron Judge gave plenty of offence too.  Final was 7-2 to the Yankees.

Baltimore Orioles come to the Bronx tomorrow, but an 11.30 pm start UK time means I will watch it 'as live' on Friday.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The young Japanese lad Shohei Ohtani is living up to the hype at LA Angels , White Sox finally beat the Blue Jays,  hell of a slog for the winning run , put into the restuarant :D

Baltimore Orioles come to the Bronx tomorrow, but an 11.30 pm start UK time means I will watch it 'as live' on Friday.
What do you watch the games on Chris?

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I subscribe to mlb.tv, Barry.  As the UK is 'out of market' for all teams there is no blackout of any games, so they are all available either live or archived.  The subscription includes all postseason games, and the following year's Spring Training. At £83 for the year I find it very good value.

My smart tv has it as an app or there is an app for devices too.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got BT Sport which shows ESPN as well, there has been at least one game on each day so far plus repeats.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is this like rounders for grown ups    :run:
Exactly , I've really got the bug

rut5RGM.gif

• Haha
Reactions: greybeard

Forum statistics

Threads