Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Had quite a few integrated amps through the door this year including the norma 70b and the moonriver 404 ref . all very good . So recently got the little bel canto c5i integrated with is class d with digital front end . Used with the RFC modded Taus which is very detailed and shows up bad equipment fast . There are quite a few of these now ex demo at around 1200 pounds as the new C6i has come in which has a analogue front end and still class d

The BC units are US built and therefore prices are a bit on the higher side but they last for years being well built . they also have superb remotes with 200 step volume control . they are small and easily fit into domestic environment .

First up you notice the sweet top end and controlled bass which is fairly substantial . its 120 watts into 4 ohms and 60 watts into 8 ohms per channel . damping factor above 200 . I was expecting a clinical ` digital ` sound with some grain and hardness , actually its quite surprising . totally non fatiguing , imaging fairly good and very musical . not as muscular sounding as the norma 70b [ which costs over double] but for the money its well worth a listen. It wont be for everyone but its worth a listen . Even the inbuilt dac sounds very sweet . I have yet to compare fully to the external black ice dac but initial listening is favourable

P1070888 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

P1070890 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

P1070892 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

good points . the WBT binding posts are superb
bad points . only one analogue input so nowhere to put my tuner as well as external dac
packaging is not as good as bel canto of yesteryear . rather meagre

Has anyone tried the new c6i ?

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've used many BC units over the years and have liked them. The last few years have seen massive price tises for BC kit in the UK, to the point where they no longer represent decent value. I did try an e1x for a while; more than decent, but £8k? No way. It's not surprising to see so many of these on the market at far less; I can't see many having been sold new at that price.

The C6i is £2.8k. Much competion at that price. Watch out for a load of ex dems in 12-18 months for around £1500!

Reactions: hifinutt

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
would not mind trying the e1x but as you say its too expensive . The chap i got it from found it didnt gel with his speakers but it certainly sounds good on the Taus [ 6ohm ] . The modwright stuff has shot up which is made in US and so has Audio research but i do like the small form factor of the BC stuff and the battery powered pre amps are very easily massively improved on . there are no plans for a battery pre 3 pre amp sadly

this C5i was bought for a second system but its well worth a demo if someone looking for a decent priced integrated

Mcribbons

Mystic Mac
Wammer
Mar 22, 2017
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve had a C6i for 6 weeks now, and I am enjoying it mucho. I’m using a Node 2i and an Audiolab 6000cdt via the internal DAC of the C6i, and there is no edginess or hardness anywhere. Seems to give good separation and present detail in an unforced manner.
The amp replaced a Chord Qutest and a Cayin CS88a......and I am more than happy with the move!

It is punchy and produces plenty of bass via my Evoke 10s. I have never been one to subscribe to the old ‘pace rhythm and timing’ because I thought it was nothing more than audiophile pretentious dribble, however...... my foot has been tapping more than ever since having this amp. Coincidence 🤷‍♂️

I’m contemplating a 2nd hand Rega Saturn R to run it via the line input, only because I really want to see if the Saturn R really does possess the “analogue” virtues as described in reviews.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve had a C6i for 6 weeks now, and I am enjoying it mucho. I’m using a Node 2i and an Audiolab 6000cdt via the internal DAC of the C6i, and there is no edginess or hardness anywhere. Seems to give good separation and present detail in an unforced manner.
The amp replaced a Chord Qutest and a Cayin CS88a......and I am more than happy with the move!

It is punchy and produces plenty of bass via my Evoke 10s. I have never been one to subscribe to the old ‘pace rhythm and timing’ because I thought it was nothing more than audiophile pretentious dribble, however...... my foot has been tapping more than ever since having this amp. Coincidence 🤷‍♂️

I’m contemplating a 2nd hand Rega Saturn R to run it via the line input, only because I really want to see if the Saturn R really does possess the “analogue” virtues as described in reviews.
thanks thats interesting . i have tried class D before with my horns and its been brash and in your face . i am extremely curious how john stronzer has achieved this rather smooth but spacious sound . was playing nils frahm spaces tonight and it was quite airy and spacious . if the higher ranges were not so appallingly expensive i would be tempted to try .

Reactions: Mcribbons

Mcribbons

Mystic Mac
Wammer
Mar 22, 2017
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was hesitant about going with a class D amp, but it has worked out well.
i imagine it would work well with the Argon 1/3 with its punchy bass and smoothness

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Strangely the local bel canto dealer felt ut was better with larsen speakers than amphion

And yes i have used icepower for years , strangely i recently had an asx 125 power amp which was pretty brash with the horns . For some reason this c5i is not

Reactions: Mcribbons

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I continue to enjoy my IcePower Ref1000ms though I do get the itch to upgrade to the latest Hypex Ref600ms from time to time… (Nicholas Jarr sounding mighty fine right now)

WolvesWill

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 4, 2010
Wolverhampton
AKA
William Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a full Bel Canto system up until 2020 (CD3T, VBS1 powering a Pre3VB and DAC3.3VB, all run into the REF600M power amps) and although perceived build quality was like a battleship, it was unfortunately not the most reliable kit.

My CD3T Transport went back to be repaired twice (faulty mechanism), for a couple of hundred quid per time, and the firmware always seemed a bit flakey. One of the REF600M power amps I had also had a power supply fail for no obvious reason, I ended up replacing the power supply in both (so as to keep a matched pair) for about £450, annoyingly just before I sold the lot.

Saying that, it was a great looking setup (albeit, box count was a bit excessive for some!) and I always enjoyed the sound, very detailed but still smooth. Power amps were especially impressive.

As others have suggested, the price new for Bel Canto gear is a little steep these days and feature wise in this world of multi-mode streaming amplifiers and DACS, they seem a little basic. When it came to getting another system, I picked the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 as my 'do it all' small form factor integrated, features wise it seems a next step onwards from the latest Bel Canto offerings and a better value prospect IMO.

Reactions: Jezzer

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a full Bel Canto system up until 2020 (CD3T, VBS1 powering a Pre3VB and DAC3.3VB, all run into the REF600M power amps) and although perceived build quality was like a battleship, it was unfortunately not the most reliable kit.

My CD3T Transport went back to be repaired twice (faulty mechanism), for a couple of hundred quid per time, and the firmware always seemed a bit flakey. One of the REF600M power amps I had also had a power supply fail for no obvious reason, I ended up replacing the power supply in both (so as to keep a matched pair) for about £450, annoyingly just before I sold the lot.

Saying that, it was a great looking setup (albeit, box count was a bit excessive for some!) and I always enjoyed the sound, very detailed but still smooth. Power amps were especially impressive.

As others have suggested, the price new for Bel Canto gear is a little steep these days and feature wise in this world of multi-mode streaming amplifiers and DACS, they seem a little basic. When it came to getting another system, I picked the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 as my 'do it all' small form factor integrated, features wise it seems a next step onwards from the latest Bel Canto offerings and a better value prospect IMO.
Totally agree on the sound signature - detailed yet smooth. It’s a beguiling sound. Gawd, I’m always reading about power supply failures on the Hypex based amps (and not just the Bel Canto ones either). Puts me off the Ref600Ms, obviously.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes have read of problems with cd3t transport .and yes the vbs1 psu are beginning to fail now and replacements from tony at coherant and sean jacobs are great

You read of many amps with lousy remotes , in fact i had 2 12k pre amps and remotes were not as good as bel canto . They just last for years

Had bel canto for many years in various forms .just ordered a faceplate to upgrade one pre at 210 quid so not cheap

The best upgrade was a sean jacobs dc3 psu to the pre 3 vbs which added real weight and power to the pre which matches well with some f5 clones

Only failures i have had is a vbs1 that packed up after 6 years .probably had about 15 bc components

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have to confess that the hypex 600m do make me nervous . But as long as tony ( coherant ) is around i am reassured . He is a genius with bc . He totally transformed some ref 1000 i had Think i would probably stick with icepower monoblocks in the ref 500m

Last edited:

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i reckon the c5i would make a very cost effective pre amp , will try it soon . inbuilt dac and line out means its very versatile .

hylander

(Fairly) Standard Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 23, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i reckon the c5i would make a very cost effective pre amp , will try it soon . inbuilt dac and line out means its very versatile .
Been thinking the same thing myself but wasn’t sure if it would run OK with no speakers connected.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes manual seems to indicate its ok . i shall try it . i love the BC amps as pre amps . as i may have said i have lifted the performance of them hugely by adding improved psu . the sense of realism is great . yes its not as good as my modwright 36.5 dm or arc ref 5se but its a fraction of the price and still manages to give real pleasure at real world prices . !!

running a single output BC virtual battery psu with one pre 3 vbs . and another sean jacobs dc3 with another

https://www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/power-supplies/dc3-power-supply

apparently BC have no plans to add external psu to the relatively new BC pre 5

http://belcantodesign.com/home/eone/pre5-preamplifier/

i guess they want folks to buy the more expensive full width stuff rather than the very modest and compact e.one series

• Thanks
Reactions: hylander

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
so this week the capable C5i went in as a pre amp to an old class AB amp . As an integrated its been ok with the taus but FAR better used into a decent power amp . I must say its far better than I thought as a pre . these are plentiful on eBay due to the new integrated coming out . we had a townshend allegri here not too long ago and its every bit as good as that with a very good remote . so if you need a pre amp grab one . only BIG downside is only one analogue input .

this was used with a highly modded valve dac [ black ice ] . not fully assessed the inbuilt dac in the c5i

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.