Best 2nd hand CD player upto £500

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
I'm considering a new CD player, to fit in the system below, which will be playing dance, rap, jazz and pop.

I want it to sound weighty with no irritating brightness with poorly mastered discs.

I hope that with a budget upto £500 I could buy something pretty decent on the second hand market.

It would also be a bonus if the player looked a bit quirky, or was a previous high end classic in it's day.

I'm thinking old Meridian, Naim, Cyrus Disc/Dac Master, perhaps?

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try a Meridian 506.24 or a 508 - should be plenty for around £500.

£600 - £650 would be likely to secure you a 507 like mine (excellent player and sounds better than the current G07)

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
You seem to like em, so I'd say why not check out Moorgate Acoustics for a refurbed Cyrus 6s

However, nicer call from Duvet
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Was going to buy Mr Coherent's modded TEAC VRDS10 but decided against it as wrong colour(!). (my new cd player must be silver)

Seems like a good buy at £500 - excellent transport mech' (a la Wadia)and tank-like build.

Copland ain't bad at all.... :dude:

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
I've never heard any Meridian, but it's a brand I've always loved.

What kind of sound are they reknowned for?

I'll have to search for some reviews...

The new Cyrus CD6 is supposed to be good, but my thought is that CD players aren't advancing majorly, and that second hand players will offer better value for money?

Copland players look nice too although there were non on eBay.

Any links to a secondhand hifi webpage?

I'm only using eBay at the mo'

Thanks again, and keep them coming!

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
Leeds UK, ,
darrenmayne wrote:

I've never heard any Meridian, but it's a brand I've always loved
Hmm, interesting statement!

As suggested, there are plenty of old meri CDPs on eBay.. notably a 208 at the mo.. these don't appear much .. you usually see 206s or the odd 200/203.. 208 has a pre .. i've always fancied one.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
If mine died tomorrow I would be looking for another one of these :

SD-95001.jpg

Rare as hens teeth, but can be had for £300-400 second hand keep an eye on eBay. Toshiba SD-9500.

Bonuses : Can be used as a DAC with 2 external digital inputs, HDCD, And Stereo out via XLR Balanced outputs. Switchable upsample circuit. Could it be called “high-end†well it’s a statement DVD/CDP that Toshiba produced was £2000 rrp, and even at that they pushed out the boat on this player.

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
rega planet would get my vote... demolishes the naim cd3.5 that I also have at the mo' but having said that it just a tiny bit more open then your arcam...I think they have some common internals... its sounds better with a decent power cable too.

The only downside with the planet is its not the bassiest of players but its gotgreat timing with good resolution to counter. best of all plenty of ex-dem ones kicking around as its just been replaced.

technobear

Ursine Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2005
Glastonbury, UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just sold a player that would have been ideal for you - an Arcam CD192. Too late, it went last week
sad.png

Meridian owners (and dealers) have a fairly inflated idea of what their kit is worth, especially when it's getting old. (CD player mechs wear out guys and that includes Meridian ones). Expect to pay through the nose.

As for the Jupiter? Against a 192? No contest I'm afraid
tongue.png

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Just a thought, Darren. I tend to concur on the issue of CDP development.

The Arcam is a decent player, and perhaps would the funds would be targetted better at speakers. Or speakers + psxr if you get a good trade on your KEF

The again, it's donkey's years since I heard your speakers, so you may well be as happy as larry with em........

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
I did audition speakers recently, such as PMC TB2+, but worry that the CD player may not be up to it as I have GIGO instrically stamped in me!

My thought was that I could upgrade to a very good CD player for only a couple of hundred after I've sold my Arcam.

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
I'd second the Meridian 507. Would much rather have the Rega Jupiter ahead of the Planet. Its a lovely machine. Another condtendor could be the Cyrus CD7Q. Opposite end of the spectrum from the warm smooth meridian, as its a bit more lean and fast.

curtis

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2005
Herts, , United King
Yeah the 507 is a fine machine along with the jupiter

That CD23 i listed above is a fine machine also

Another option would be an exposure CDP or NAD silverline

All these players play some funky shit

Curt

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
darrenmayne wrote:

Thanks, I've always loved the look of Planets - what about the Jupiter too?
When I heard them side by side years ago's... I didn't think the Jupiter was worth double the planet... it was good but it wasn't£500 better then the planet IMO but that a quick demo with a couple of tracks.

Seen few people saying nice things about its replacement... the apolloI think thats bang on the budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.