Best Amp for Under £140

bertie

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2007
Kent or Liverpool, ,
I have only got a £140 to spend and i want to get the best amp i can for the money? can i have your views please?

(i listen mainly to rock and indie)

thanks

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
Sonic-T!!!!

JJ

Edit to add:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html

I'm also tempted by this... uses a different Tripath chip though... with air core conductors (US$90 + shipping)

charlize_aircore.jpg

http://www.diyparadise.com/charlize.html

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
have you got a T/T (do you need a phono section)?

Do you need/want a remote control?

paulfromcamden

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 5, 2006
London SE3
AKA
Paul
Cyrus 2 (& PSX if you're lucky) or a NAIT1 or 2

Or maybe an older Exposure integrated

All of these will throw the music through your speakers at thrilling rate of knots
smile.png

bertie

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2007
Kent or Liverpool, ,
I dont really want a remote and i dont want a phono section.

I really like the idea of Linn but i am not sure if i can afford any? how about a LINN INTEK?

thanks any more ideas?

A

A.N.

inteks were ok, you can find much better for your money. built well tho.

for 140, you are looking at:-

harmon/kardon hk610

marantz pm66 se/sig

nait1

arcam alpha 7,7r,8.

pioneer a400

early exposure.

these all have different characters, but you can build a great little system around them.

my personal fave out of these would be the H/K, punchy little number, and built like a tank.

G

a400 to shouty and harsh. rotel far more natural sounding in comparison.

bertie

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2007
Kent or Liverpool, ,
OH thanks for all the help....now i just need to work out which one i want!

Does anyone know if the Sonic-T is as great as everyone says..........it sounds too good to be true

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
bertie wrote:

Does anyone know if the Sonic-T is as great as everyone says..........it sounds too good to be true
Yup, it does sound too good to be true. But it isn't - truly great VFM - and you can get the fancy looking one with your budget too.

Real audiophile sound for budget money. IMO, those who compare it with midrange NAD Rotel etc stuff would be shockedif theyheard whatit can do with hi-end speakers!
biggrin.png

See eBay link HEREfor just over £100.

You do need to sort out the PSU though - but that's only a few £ on eBay. This oneHERE will do a great job, I think, for £14.

GO FOR IT !!!

YOU NEED EFFICIENT SPEAKERS THOUGH

- what have you got?

Geordie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
Main criticism I have of the SonicT is it lacks bottom end. Other than that, it gives a good sound for the money. Apparently though I read the Super T-Amp is better on the bass.

I'd keep a look out for Creek 4040 / 4140, Rega Brio, Onix OA21/22, Ion Obelisk, and surprisingly, Cambridge Audio A3i (its designed by Alex Nitikin of Creek).

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
bertie wrote:

OH thanks for all the help....now i just need to work out which one i want!Does anyone know if the Sonic-T is as great as everyone says..........it sounds too good to be true
Its better than most people say. And dare i say it. A lot better than most of the other kit mentioned here.

Also, its great for modifying. You can easily put it in a new box with decent terminals and have something that look ok too.

James.

My sonic T project:

back%20plate%20finished.JPG

good%20look.JPG

sounds really nice. (it really does!)

bertie

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2007
Kent or Liverpool, ,
I really fancy getting one.... where is the best place to get one/two? I have read tones about modifying them but i would like a step by step guide (i even read about making monoblocks using two...and i have no idea how that would work)

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
JJ

I made a hash up of it myself, Tony kindly fixed it for me, with some filtering on the Power input, and nicer wires. Nothing else was touched. It's mostly standard, just better screwed together, with proper connectors.

Bertie,

eBay has tons for sale. A freind of mine uses 3 of them in a strange active x over set up.. to be honest I don;t understand it, but it sounds seriously good. He has DIY speakers too.

Sound superb:

attachment.php

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
Hehe... just read the TNT Tripath amp shoot-out... seems like the Charlize was the favourite
tongue.png
(with that name, how can you loose?)

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/tripath_amps_e.html

Seriously thinking of getting one to tinker when I go to Malaysia. If anyone is interested could cobble together to get one big order and see if we can get a discount. Will be going at the start of February and only back at the end.
crazy_pilot.gif.c313d97f4d9ddf9c49c568cf60659106.gif

JJ

Geordie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
bertie wrote:

I really fancy getting one.... where is the best place to get one/two? I have read tones about modifying them but i would like a step by step guide (i even read about making monoblocks using two...and i have no idea how that would work)
To be honest I quite often see it suggested on some DIY forums that you are probably better off with the SuperT if you plan on buying a normal one and modding, as you don't save a lot of money, and of course the SuperT comes with many of the improvements you would implement into a modded T.

31Sonic_0-med.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.