Best happy and sad Tunes?

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
Happy - Jackie Wilson Said by Dexy's Midnight Runners.

Because it brings back good memories - freedom, fun, opportunity, sex, drink - of 1st year at University
smile.png

Sad - It's different for girls by Joe Jackson

Record I consoled myself with after break up with 1st real girlfriend.
500000033.gif.92511e2005a900cfb9bb836a01712b3a.gif

Anybody else have suggestions?

Regards GofA

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
Sad - Everyone hurts -REM Ties in with a few sad events... When they played it live at Glasto a couple of years back it was very moving..

The happy one is not so easy to narrow down to one, and not because im a miserable git!!! but because so much music makes me happy
smile.png

Used to like Local Boy by the Stereophonics, but sinceKelly Jonesdisappeared uphis own backside i dont play it much... so id have to say Naked by Reef... For today anyway!!!

Hawk

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
What about Leonard Cohen, a miserable tune for every occasion.

Another good happy one - Sgt Rock by XTC. They were one of the first band I ever saw & just thinking about them brings back memories of bopping about the 6th form common room.

Chewie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
The Fens
AKA
Carl
Sad, Atmosphere by Joy Division there are few sons that come even close to this little masterpiece for sheer melancholy IMHO
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

Happy, Lucky You by the Lightning Seeds, I don’t know what it is about the song but it never fails to either perk me up, getmy hands and feet tapping or worse get me singing along
smile.png

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sad = Happy Talk, Captain Sensible

Happy = Love will tear us apart, Joy Division.

That is what I think

Thank you,

James Palmer.

G

Baggy Trousers by the Nutty Boys. Or House Of Fun. Never fails to bring a smile to my face. Killer videos as well on shoestring budget.

Sad Songs. Vincent by Don McLean . Haunting , beautiful but ultimately very sad.

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
Oh God, just thought of a really embarassing happy one - 'Happy Birthday' by Altered Images. Think it had a bit to do with Claire Grogan flashing her knicker's in my 16 yr old face - too much for the auld hormones

Still think the 1st AA album was pretty good though
smile.png

GofA

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
Miller-8 wrote:

Glens of Antrim wrote:
Oh God, just thought of a really embarassing happy one - 'Happy Birthday' by Altered Images. Think it had a bit to do with Claire Grogan flashing her knicker's in my 16 yr old face - too much for the auld hormones
Still think the 1st AA album was pretty good though
smile.png

GofA
http://www.sukeplow.demon.co.uk/altered/altered.htm

nice1.gif
Cheers for that Miller
biggrin.png
I know they weren't cool butimho AA made some pretty damned good indie & pop. John Peel can't be wrong! And I was totally in lust with Claire. She was gorgeous. Forgot Johnny McElhone went on to found Texas too. Happy days. GofA

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
Two genuinely sad works;

Mahler 9th Symphony: M wasvery ill - the heart condition which was to kill him - by the time he wrote this. And the whole symphony is imbued withexpectations of death. In the first movement you can hear tolling bells, the tread of a funeral march & a faltering heartbeat. And it gets happier from then...until the adagio final movement when death seems to be accepted & the music fades into tranquillity.

Richard Strauss Metamorphosen for 23 Strings: this is S's response to thedestruction of Germany in 1945.It's a single movement based on a quote taken from the funeral march of Beethoven's Eroica symphony. Wagner & Mozart are also quoted. While heartachingly beautiful the piece emotionally moves from grief, to anger, to reconciliation. It's a requiem for an entire culture.

GofA

G

Happy

Love and affection, joan Armatrading, or Walk on the Wild Side Lou Reed

Sad.

American Pie Don Maclean, Pieces of a man Gill Scott heron

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
Sad: Try Not To Breathe by REM - the man's dying, for goodness sake!

Happy: Try Not To Breathe by REM - the man sings it beautifully, and reassures us

RichardG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2005
West of Cardiff, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Happy:

Bottle Rocket - the Go Team (fan-bloody-tastic!)

Sad:

Nothing Compares to You - Sinead O'Connor (sniffs)

"Went to the doctor and guess what he told me?

Guess what he told me?

He said, ‘girl you’d better try to have fun, no matter what you do’…

…but he’s a fool…

cos nothing compares to you…to you"

dumps large all over the Prince version/original IMHO

Oooh changed my mind -

Johnny Cash - Hurt "and you can have it all - my empire of dirt, I will let you down, I will make you hurt"

Hmmm 2 cover versions better than the originals!

Riverdog

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 15, 2005
London, , United Kin
AKA
Sham
Happy: Sweet Child of Mine - Guns n Roses (ah! those good 'ol high school days)

Sad: Sweetness Follows - REM (I will forever associate the song with the scene from Vanilla Sky where the drunk and disfigured David Aames collapses in the gutter)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.