Bill Hicks

G

I was listening to Bill Hicks "Rant in e-minor" last night for the first time in ages and realised what a shame this talent isn't around anymore. Could you imagine the scathing fun this guy could have with the present Bush administration.

One of my favorite lines is

" If you're so pro-life then link arms and block cemetaries instead"

E

earl of sodbury

Duvet wrote:

I was listening to Bill Hicks "Rant in e-minor" last night for the first time in ages and realised what a shame this talent isn't around anymore. Could you imagine the scathing fun this guy could have with the present Bush administration. One of my favorite lines is

" If you're so pro-life then link arms and block cemetaries instead"
I take it you're listening via headphones? - wouldn't want my kids asking "Daddy, what's a "scat muncher"?"... I'll certainly never view Barbara Bush in quite the same light, either.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
:raoflmfao:

Bill was a forkin' genius - I have pretty much all he recorded on CD, and really, all you have to do is change the names and he's as relevent 12 years post-mortem as he was back then.

churz, eofs

JonR

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 3, 2005
Herts
AKA
Unknown
earl of sodbury wrote:

Bill was a forkin' genius - I have pretty much all he recorded on CD, and really, all you have to do is change the names and he's as relevent 12 years post-mortem as he was back then.
I quite agree. One of the most remarkable aspects of his work is the extent to which you could relate it directly to events that have been taking place 12 years after his death.

Totally uncompromising, as well as a genius. He refused to sell out to anyone or anything. Was better received in the UK than at home, not surprisingly..

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Proper take no prisoners attitude to comedy, gotta love anybody that takes that attitude to anything, but when its slagging off politician's it makes it sweeter
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great comedian - funny how he seemed to know what was going on NOW even though he left us a long time ago.

E

earl of sodbury

He saw it coming, the whole sorry clusterfucking shitfeast...

Surely, somewhere there's a conspiracy theory about his early death?

Though it's kind of hard to arrange pancreatic cancer - unless you're a cigarette manufacturer, in which case people pay you for the privilege...

funny ol' worl'... :Not Sure:

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
how much d'ya thinkwould it cost for a doctor to 'accidentally' confuse a bullet with said diseasefor the purposes of a certificatethough
whistling.gif.b56e45ab421c066833020c8ede98c081.gif

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
kennyk wrote:

how much d'ya thinkwould it cost for a doctor to 'accidentally' confuse a bullet with said diseasefor the purposes of a certificatethough
whistling.gif.b56e45ab421c066833020c8ede98c081.gif
He didn't just drop dead from it though mate, took a while to take hold a-la Paul Hunter.
sad.png

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
fair enough, just fueling the conspiracist theories...

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cloth-Ears wrote:

Also, if you like intelligent rants against things like the Bush administration, the religeous right, popular media, consumerism,you will probably enjoy the spoken word albums of Jello Biafra ( think singer of Dead Kennedys) .
Jello is one of my musical heroes. Big DK fan and I've enjoyed his spoken word albums. He has a way of talking good sense and being funny with it.

There some great humour in some of the DK songs as well. He's been doing a few albums with the The Melvins just recently and they are well worth looking out for.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cloth-Ears wrote:

Griffo, I enjoy the DK's very much too.I think Jello's most enjoyable album is actually Prarie Home Invasion , the one he did with Mojo Nixon. Controversial choice I know, but I love it. Do you know the one I'm talking about ?
ooooh, didn't know about that one.

I have a soft spot for the album he did with D.O.A. - Last Scream Of The Missing Neighbours, but then I also had a soft spot for D.O.A. at the time as well, who were knocking out some good punk albums at the time.

Also loved the Lard album - Last Temptation of Reid - cracking album.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
earl of sodbury wrote:

Jello Biafra and his many side projects: http://www.alternativetentacles.com/Have spent a lot of money here
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

I believe I could buy every last motherlovin' item on there and not fail to enjoy a jot of it.

You MUST buy Lard.
SO much great stuff to buy so little money.

I already have a couple of Lard albums, and the quite rare 1000 Homo DJs ep Supernaut (Jello is Count Ringworm apparently)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online