Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2005
Lakeside Wixams
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
any recommendations for a good book that i can dip in and out of whilst lying around on a beach? shouldn't be too taxing but should be interesting and engaging. prefer sci-fi / fantasy, comedy or autobiography but anything will do except trashy romance or anything where nothing really happens.

cheers

julian.

The Swedish Chef

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2005
Göteborg, , Sweden
AKA
Philip
if you're a quick reader or gonna be gonea long time try the illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson, v strange, v compelling and totally addictive

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1854875744/qid=1137595687/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/202-2879226-5259832

Synopsis

Filled with sex and violence - in and out of time and space - the three books in this trilogy are only partly works of the imagination. They tackle the cover-ups of our time - from who really shot the Kennedys to why there's a pyramid on a one-dollar bill - and suggest a mind-blowing truth.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I read the Illuminatus Trilogy years ago - well worth a read.

Personally for just hanging around and reading something without having to engage the brain too much but simply addictive I thoroughly enjoy Michael Connelly's police thrillers. Just started Lost Light, great read.

gaul

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
LONDON, ,
...any recommendations for a good book that i can dip in and out of whilst lying around on a beach?...

=> What do you want to dip in and out whilst lying on a bitch?...
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

julian2002

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2005
Lakeside Wixams
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
good call swedish chef - unfortunately, that's the exact book i took last time i went on an extended beach holiday. not really easy going though and not something you can dip in and out of that easily if a nice pair bounces past and you fancy a closer look.

any more?

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Swedish Chef wrote:

if you're a quick reader or gonna be gonea long time try the illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson, v strange, v compelling and totally addictivehttp://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1854875744/qid=1137595687/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/202-2879226-5259832

Synopsis

Filled with sex and violence - in and out of time and space - the three books in this trilogy are only partly works of the imagination. They tackle the cover-ups of our time - from who really shot the Kennedys to why there's a pyramid on a one-dollar bill - and suggest a mind-blowing truth.
Right up my Strasse. Will check them out. Danke.

The Swedish Chef

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2005
Göteborg, , Sweden
AKA
Philip
ok that went down well the, other likes of mine include anything by richard powers, this guy is simply the most intelligent and detailed author i have ever had the pleasure of reading, for computer si fi try plowing the dark

Synopsis

In a digital laboratory on the shores of Puget Sound, virtual reality researchers race to complete the Cavern, a bland white room that can become a jungle, a painting, or a vast Byzantine cathedral. In a war-torn city on the eastern shores of the Mediterranean, an American is held hostage, chained to a radiator in an empty white room...Adie Klarpol, a disillusioned artist, is invigorated by the thrill of working with the Cavern's cutting-edge technology. As Cold War empires collapse and the Berlin Wall falls, she retreats into the cyber-realities she has been hired to create. In Beirut, English teacher Taimur Martin is held in solitary confinement by Islamic fundamentalists, where he must keep his mind whole by the force of his memory alone. What can possibly joint two such remote places? Only the shared imagination, a room that these two people unwittingly build in common, where the strands of this wildly inventive novel coalesce into one.

all his other books i've read are excellent.

a good bio is the bang bang cluba true story of photo journalists in south arfica in the early 90s, brilliant again, gives an insight to both the hard and frightening work they do and the pressure and emotional stress of having your work dictate millions of peoples views on a subject

julian2002

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2005
Lakeside Wixams
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
unfortunately i've read all of dan browns books - they are the kind of brain candy i'm after.

plowing the dark and the bang bang club sound interesting. i'll have to give them a go -

as a recommendation for cpu-fi i'd throw permutation city into the mix - takes the idea that consciousness can be downloaded and simulated and that processor speed doesn;t matter when it comes to self awareness - a fascinating read if you're into that kind of thing.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've really enjoyed "French Revolutions" by Tim Moore.

Tim Moore is in his mid thirties and lives in London with his wife and kids. He has been watchingthe Tour de France on TV for several years. He's no cyclist though, doesn't own a bike and can't even mend a puncture. Basically he's a complete novice and although slim lacking severely in fitness.

However in a flight of fancy he decides to ride the 2000 Tour de France route alone, just 3 weeks before the real race is due to start.So he finds out the 2000 route from the french authorities and sets off alone on his quest. Theres plenty of hilarious anecdotes as Moore struggles with his fitness, equipment, the french way of life and even tries his hand at some doping (using hayfever remedies!)

Its a very funny, absorbing read from start to finish. I loved it!

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't make the mistake of reading Tim Moores unadventerous trip round the monopoly board though.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Forum statistics

Threads
Members