Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I've been slowly upgrading my analogue set up this year and decided to bite the bullet and build a Bottlehead Eros tube Phono. Having built several of their amplifier kits over the last couple of years they have always sonically delivered the goods the Eros is Bottleheads top of the line phono kit offering and has a very decent reputation for its performance. This will be (I am hoping) very much an end game phono for me.   

So a few pics of the build progress so far

index.php

900x900px-LL-d3d0e138_IMG_4572.jpeg

900x900px-LL-f1af0642_IMG_4585.jpeg

900x900px-LL-6d6dc6e4_IMG_4619.jpeg

900x900px-LL-420b7fd6_IMG_4626.jpeg

LL

Last edited by a moderator:

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I think it is probably safe to say I’m done tinkering with my Eros for a while the Amphom Tin foil paper in wax were swapped out for Russian Teflon output capacitors and the RIAA capacitors have also been swapped and balanced with hand selected Russian FT1 teflon capacitors.  Its all been getting a bit of extra burn in around 100hrs now so far via my ipod to help with the Teflon caps. I also fitted four 47uf Valab capacitors (Taiwanese MKP in oils) which had been taking up space in the parts box for a while paralleling a pair up each side in place of the 100uf electrolytic on the cathode bypass.

Taking the time to measure and fit the teflon RIAA caps and the cathode bypass caps has definitely been worth it.

To say I am enjoying the Eros is a massive understatement I think it’s just a fabulous bit of kit the sound is super clean, detailed and just so immersive. I’m spinning loads of LP's, 2W Sets amp and Full range Speakers during early evening and later when the rest of the house sleeps I switch over to my custom Mainline headphone amp which is fitted with RTI 10uf teflons the resulting combination of Eros, Mainline, Jico SAS1 with the Senhieser HD800s  I think is a pretty special combo holy smoke does it dig deep into the groove.

Just need to save a few more pennies up for a pair of Hashimoto step up transformers!

index.php

index.php

index.php

• Upvote
Reactions: random_noise

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks tempting, i could do with a better phono amp.  BTW, I was reading recently about those valve cans, and it was said that being silver with full coverage they trap the heat.  So I sprayed mine satin black inside and out and they look way better.   I can't tell if they make it sound better, but looking cool is nearly as good as BEING cool!  :D   I think they would suit your layout too, and it might even do some good.

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Looks tempting, i could do with a better phono amp.  BTW, I was reading recently about those valve cans, and it was said that being silver with full coverage they trap the heat.  So I sprayed mine satin black inside and out and they look way better.   I can't tell if they make it sound better, but looking cool is nearly as good as BEING cool!  :D   I think they would suit your layout too, and it might even do some good.
I need to borrow the wifes black nail polish it works well on the valve surround bases

I found them here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260494083363?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They are real nice quality probably military surplus and only £1.75 a pop

LL

danilo

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2015
vancouver
AKA
danilo
IF performance rather than appearance matters then are  2 Markedly superior choices to consider

Pearl 2  from : https://www.passdiy.com/store Very ! good performance

Booze hound : http://boozhoundlabs.com/collections/all/products/bhl-audio-jfet-phono-preamplifier-kit-2sk170-riaa 

Good performance indeed, less than the Pass effort though.

Been down the Bottlehead route a decade or so ago.

I found their gear seriously Overpriced, as the main sticking point.

However Not enamoured of their bottom feeder parts selections.. given their price points.

Notably impressive was their 70v line speaker transformers press ganged as Output iron.. 

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IF performance rather than appearance matters then are  2 Markedly superior choices to consider

Pearl 2  from : https://www.passdiy.com/store Very ! good performance

Booze hound : http://boozhoundlabs.com/collections/all/products/bhl-audio-jfet-phono-preamplifier-kit-2sk170-riaa 

Good performance indeed, less than the Pass effort though.

Been down the Bottlehead route a decade or so ago.

I found their gear seriously Overpriced, as the main sticking point.

However Not enamoured of their bottom feeder parts selections.. given their price points.

Notably impressive was their 70v line speaker transformers press ganged as Output iron.. 
No valves though, so no go.

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Funnily enough I have owned/built a couple of Pass lsk170 Jfet amps in the past and thought them very good indeed but I don’t feel the jfet S/S makes it any better I would venture the Eros as I have it in my system offers better imaging and three dimensionality, smoother more extended highs and a slightly sweeter midrange than the jfets from my recollection while the jfets had good attack and a solid grip on the bottom end.

However if you think $200 for a pcb and six jfets is good value then that’s fair enough but its not the full picture, how much did yours cost to complete? The Boards and jfets are just a fraction of the cost of the Pearl2 I suspect with decent parts and power supply it probably works out similar to the Eros if not more.

I noticed a report from last year were a Eros (mine was $599 in a recent promotion) with a few mods held its own against a Herron VTPH2 circa $3500 which is a very well regarded bit of kit.

The Booze hound looks a interesting kit thanks I had not heard of it and I have a handful of lsk170 jfets left over the pcb only option is $29 it would make a fun project. Probably get one up and running for around $100-$150!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online