cable jumpers for red terminals only

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Single-wiring my speakers but using 4 short lengths of decent speaker cable to link the LF terminals to the HF ones. These improved treble extension than the freebie brass jumpers.

Was thinking (oh oh:?) last nite... its only the cable on the RED (+ve) side that makes a difference to the speaker's sound right? The (-ve) wiring runs back to the amp, so do I really need to put in that cable jumper for this loop??? Is it electrically okay to put the freebie jumpers in for the (-ve) side and make do with just two jumpers for the (+ve)? This would be so much tidier. Will the possible differences in capacitance properties between the (+ve) cable jumper and the (-ve) freebie jumper(slower?) cause a buildup of stagnant current in the speaker crossovers that could blow up the speakers? :raoflmfao::raoflmfao:

Will it?
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

Can someone try this with their own speakers and tell me a week later, if everything's alright?
biggrin.png

SS

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
just put the full compliment of cable in their, you wouldn't want people to think you were only 'half-wired' would you

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
dudywoxer wrote:

just put the full compliment of cable in their, you wouldn't want people to think you were only 'half-wired' would you
Other wammers already think so...
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif

smack.gif.67a6c7204929f2d6a3282863ab29d146.gif

Impressive! I didn't know your funny bone was that big.
biggrin.png

SS

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
it very much depends what sets it off, and it has been a very very long night

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
dudywoxer wrote:

it very much depends what sets it off, and it has been a very very long night
Insomnia, I see:raoflmfao:

Well, if I was up all night with a big funny bone, I'd know what I do...
wink.gif.25d7e4815f6a2fee62f4117deebb27e0.gif

cheerSS:minikiev:

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
solidstateman wrote:

Was thinking (oh oh:?) last nite... its only the cable on the RED (+ve) side that makes a difference to the speaker's sound right?
If you followed that logic through you'd only need to use 'decent' speaker cable for the positive run from the amp to the speakers too...

Use proper cables for the positive and negative; both matter.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
solidstateman wrote:

Single-wiring my speakers but using 4 short lengths of decent speaker cable to link the LF terminals to the HF ones. These improved treble extension than the freebie brass jumpers.Was thinking (oh oh:?) last nite... its only the cable on the RED (+ve) side that makes a difference to the speaker's sound right? The (-ve) wiring runs back to the amp, so do I really need to put in that cable jumper for this loop??? Is it electrically okay to put the freebie jumpers in for the (-ve) side and make do with just two jumpers for the (+ve)? This would be so much tidier. Will the possible differences in capacitance properties between the (+ve) cable jumper and the (-ve) freebie jumper(slower?) cause a buildup of stagnant current in the speaker crossovers that could blow up the speakers? :raoflmfao::raoflmfao:

Will it?
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

Can someone try this with their own speakers and tell me a week later, if everything's alright?
biggrin.png

SS
If and I do at times posted something like the above, my excuse would be drugs and or brain lesions......... what's your excuse ?
crazy_pilot.gif.c313d97f4d9ddf9c49c568cf60659106.gif

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
Was thinking (oh oh:Not Sure:) last nite... its only the cable on the RED (+ve) side that makes a difference to the speaker's sound right?
Consider yourself chastised for this naughtiness solid. [ wagging finger emoticon]
tongue.png

The idea alternating current (the stuff in your loudspeaker cables) flows up the red (+) and back down the black (-) in a nice loop isn’t correct. It is correct for direct current.

For alternating current the clue is in the name. AC alternates its direction or oscillates. Meaning at any one time it’s going from positive to negative and then from negative to positive. The rate at which this happens (number of times per second) is the frequency of the AC signal.

This is what makes your loudspeaker cones move forwards and backwards relative to their at rest point. So them black wires are being used just as much as them red ones!

E

eisenach

It didn't stop Rogers from producing the LS6a with two +ve terminals and just one -ve.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My query was an earnest one. Shame on you all for preying on the inexperience of this electrical layman! [
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
]

That said, the last four replies were helpful.:pI'm keeping my "extra" jumpers, ta.

And watch out for my next query about using the right Blu-Tac mass-density, number(three or four?)and blob-shape (triangular or cylindrical?) to stick on my standmounts' bottoms...
tease.gif.a6e550ff9c07be38d7cbd4260be35dc9.gif

SS

windom

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 26, 2006
Edinburgh, ,
Hi Solidstatesman,

I read with interest - I've a pair of ART Skibos & one of the configurations (which I get on well with) is to run a link between +ve cable input & +ve link from Bass unit to Monitor - bypassing the LFE crossover ?

It feels kinda strange doing it, and I've always wondered what would happen if I connected the -ve in the same way (ART only say to link the +ve).

On the Skibos this configuration gives a boost to the Bass output& seems to widen everything by having the monitor do it's thing in the Bass frequencies as well.

It seems to add weight to the argument on only running the +ve jumper....

windom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online