Cable lifters

guypettigrew

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 23, 2010
Horley, Surrey, UK
Sadly my cables are such a mess there's no way cable lifters could help them.

But the Nordost demo at Whittlebury last year showed very clearly how stabilising cables could positively benefit a system.

We're hoping to move this year. Prime requirement is a clear metre behind the Hi Fi cabinet to allow me to manage the cables.

Guy

C

Crazytrain

Do they have to be made of special materials, or will any old block of wood etc do?

guypettigrew

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 23, 2010
Horley, Surrey, UK
I think anything will do.

Lifting my distribution block off the floor helped the sound. It's on a piece of wood with downward facing screws through it which fit into posidrive screws which are screwed into my floorboards.

Guy

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think anything will do.Lifting my distribution block off the floor helped the sound. It's on a piece of wood with downward facing screws through it which fit into posidrive screws which are screwed into my floorboards.

Guy
I actually did exactly this with speakers. The pair in question had me trying any and every type of isolation to try and decouple them from my suspended floor. I eventually sold them, nothing new there, but that method did seem to work better than the others I tried at the time.

Pinkie

Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2014
Granes - Pyrenees
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why would lifting a cable make any difference? Are they supposed to be microphonic? And only sensitive to vibration from the floor and not the air. And microphonic proportional to the contact area? On carpet? I know plenty of manufacturers who don't use lifters at shows.

batteredhaggis

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 29, 2013
East Sussex
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As someone else here might say... shortest cables economically used adopt a natural catenary between amp and speakers. No cable/floor interaction.

+ you can hang cards/train vines/put lights on them at Christmas :^

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sadly my cables are such a mess there's no way cable lifters could help them.But the Nordost demo at Whittlebury last year showed very clearly how stabilising cables could positively benefit a system.
Yeah - a right orgy down the back of my racks.

I heard that demo at Whittlebury but tbh I couldn't hear any difference.

Howlindawg

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2009
Leixlip, Ireland
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Prime requirement is a clear metre behind the Hi Fi cabinet to allow me to manage the cables.
A mere six inches behind the cabinet is all that's required for my daughter to "manage" the cables behind my equipment rack.

Perhaps I should start leasing her out?

Inky black silences would follow... :)

jatinder

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 25, 2010
South-east England
AKA
Jatinder
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

I currently use cable lifters for my speaker cables. Long story - here goes...

Originally, I didn't use lifters and had my speaker cables on the nylon carpet. Every few months I would be absolutely certain that the sound of the hi-fi had deteriorated a lot - the treble would lose its sparkle and I would find it unlistenable. Naturally, everyone else in the household thought it sounded fine ;-)

That's when I would then use this special CD that would "de-magnetize" the electronics and speakers etc. Playing that through the system would make it sound fine until the next time the sound would deteriorate.

I read on audio-asylum that this deterioration was caused by static build-up on the outside of the speaker cables - so I bought some cable-lifters and used them.

Since then, I don't feel the sound deteriorates over time...although I still occasionally play the de-mag CD.

So do I think they work? Yes, I do.

--Jatinder

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Static is certainly present in any modern house in large quantities, and easily generated. I'm not clear how it's presence affects a signal passing through a speaker cable, but if is does, I think I'd want to treat the static by earthing it away by some means. Cable lifters might, if they work at all, be a temporary prevention. Find a cure is the best answer maybe?

Pinkie

Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2014
Granes - Pyrenees
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why would static electricity around a cable affect sound running through it? Static discharging might! Our wool carpets don't produce the static of nylon ones, so I had made a makeshift van-de graaf using the tail section of a model heli, and it makes zip, zero, nada difference to the cables. nor does zero-statting them. (That I can hear)

You have to post the link for this demagnetising CD. Or have I found it ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Cables-Audiophile-Burn-In-Demagnetising-Disc-CD-/271010580585

Well well well (3 holes in the ground!) . Who'd a thought it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online