Can I enlist a little help, crackle in valve amp

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was not suggesting you check the actual voltages in the amplifier, just that you take a look inside the amplifier with no power and check the voltage rating of those capacitors which will be written on the capacitor body.
Ah I thought you meant measure it.

Have put it on tonight having put in and taken out all the left hand valves a few time and so far no crackle!
It is being taken out of the rack tomorrow for works on the rack so may well have another look based on all the suggestions above, thanks guys

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With 'granny knows best' hat on. If you're not experienced with working on valve amplifiers and if you aren't sure what some of the suggestions here refer to, then I'd suggest if it still makes a noise, get it to someone experienced. Maybe whoever did the work previously.

Apart from some basic checks, any proper investigation here would involve some bench testing powered up. There are plenty of voltages in unlikely places inside there that would spoil your day very quickly.

Reactions: John (big)

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With 'granny knows best' hat on. If you're not experienced with working on valve amplifiers and if you aren't sure what some of the suggestions here refer to, then I'd suggest if it still makes a noise, get it to someone experienced. Maybe whoever did the work previously.

Apart from some basic checks, any proper investigation here would involve some bench testing powered up. There are plenty of voltages in unlikely places inside there that would spoil your day very quickly.
You are right of course. I know enough to recognise loose wire, duff solder joint etc but not enough to poke about with a volt meter. Cleaning out valve bases pins etc is also in my capability.

So far tonight having pulled valves in and out a couple of times, no crackle!

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I borrowed one of these units years ago with a similar problem, eventually one of the channels went down. When I opened it up (a very busy amplifier) it turned out to be a dry joint, which took a bit of finding with T&E, as I had no test gear.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Had a dry joint a few years ago with a similar but subtly different sound.
That time is what more intense and longer crackle almost permanent.
This time it is quieter and more intermittent.
As Juancho suggests valve bases and or pins.

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
You've ruled out the main driver valve as the cause by removing it and the problem remains, So I would look very closely around the pahse splitter and output valves on that side. It is almost impossible that a crackle is caused by a coupling cap, so would seem to narrow it down to the resistors. I know you changed the 100r screen resistors, so I'd check around there. The phase splitter anode resistors are massively over-specced Kiwames, so I'd be really surprised if a Kiwame had failed run well within tolerance. But that's not to say they may have bad connections /dry joint.

Finally, I had a track on a curcuit board on a 500 fail completely. The amp was restored and tested perfectly. By the time it had completed its cosseted travel by courier, and was tested, a valve glowed red as the track supplying bias had failed on the journey. It's not bias in your case but track failure is a possibility!

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You've ruled out the main driver valve as the cause by removing it and the problem remains, So I would look very closely around the pahse splitter and output valves on that side. It is almost impossible that a crackle is caused by a coupling cap, so would seem to narrow it down to the resistors. I know you changed the 100r screen resistors, so I'd check around there. The phase splitter anode resistors are massively over-specced Kiwames, so I'd be really surprised if a Kiwame had failed run well within tolerance. But that's not to say they may have bad connections /dry joint.

Finally, I had a track on a curcuit board on a 500 fail completely. The amp was restored and tested perfectly. By the time it had completed its cosseted travel by courier, and was tested, a valve glowed red as the track supplying bias had failed on the journey. It's not bias in your case but track failure is a possibility!
thanks David
OK when it is next on the bench/kitchen table I'll carefully look under all the circuit boards.
A very brief clean last night seemed to stop the crackle last night and the pins are dirty. I stuck a dental stick in one this morning and even dry it came out dirty.

Intend to get some electric joint cleaner and have a proper clean, can't harm.

Reluctant to sell/lose it because of a minor crackle.

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
thanks David
OK when it is next on the bench/kitchen table I'll carefully look under all the circuit boards.
A very brief clean last night seemed to stop the crackle last night and the pins are dirty. I stuck a dental stick in one this morning and even dry it came out dirty.

Intend to get some electric joint cleaner and have a proper clean, can't harm.

Reluctant to sell/lose it because of a minor crackle.
Keep the faith! It's definitely solvable!

toprepairman

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 6, 2010
Surrey
AKA
Henry
Definitely recommend getting it to someone who knows what they are doing, it'll be a lot cheaper than a funeral.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Appears so far since last night to be cack in the valve bases.
Been busy with other stuff today but tomorrow some cack cleaning.

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a similar thing with a valve buffer a little while back which after much faffing, turned out to be interference from my TPlink powerline adapters (which use the mains electricity circuit to transmit an internet signal).

Just a thought.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is now a slight fizzing with the occasional pop.
Completely random and only on the left channel.
It is inside the amplifier, too low level and random to be interference from anything.

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
This is now a slight fizzing with the occasional pop.
Completely random and only on the left channel.
It is inside the amplifier, too low level and random to be interference from anything.
I wouldn't bank on that: I had a hard drive giving a low level crackle on one channel on a 300b amp. The ECC88 phase splitters go way up to rf so potentially could pick up something with eg a longer lead on one valve

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wouldn't bank on that: I had a hard drive giving a low level crackle on one channel on a 300b amp. The ECC88 phase splitters go way up to rf so potentially could pick up something with eg a longer lead on one valve
There is nothing in the room that wasn't before.
Admittedly its on the ring main so maybe I put a decent extension lead to plug into.
Actually 5 things into 2 sockets! I calculated the amps and not everything is on at the same time.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
no fizz tonight dammit, did a brief clean of sockets but the cleaner melted the picks!
ended up using 50mm of bike brake cable, amp off 12 hrs beforehand, otherwise ooouch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.