CD players

iann

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I's just got some new speakers, can anyone recommend a good CD player to replace an aging Arcam Alpha One?

Rest of the system is

Rega P3 with Linn K9

Arcam Alpha one amp

v old Mission 7 somethings, but shortly to be replaced by Quad 11Ls on Apollo stands

I used to know what was good but I haven't been paying attention to the latest scene for a few years now.

Would like a shiny new CD player around £300 ish (?)

Thanks

U

Umberto

Hi iann. If you could go 2nd hand, you could get a Rega planet CD player for around that price. Nice player for the money.

audio_excellence0

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2005
, ,
Effem wrote:

Never heard one myself but popular consensus is the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C VERSION 2is a great little player for the money. The version 1 is cheaper but there were some issues with quality control so best avoided.Available at Richer Sounds

http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-640C-V2-SIL
hi if it was my money for £300 i have seen musical fidelity A3 cd players, arcam alpha 9 ,roksan caspian,all these players are a step up from your player, the cambridge audio is a budget player, but if you modifiy it in the future you have a good player, my bet would be a second hand player that cost over £800. if you follw my advice your system will sound much more musical .i hate, the sound of budget cd players

iann

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks very much people. May go 2nd hnd route, but I've never done that before so I'm a bit wary. An e-bay virgin!!

E

Effem

iann wrote:

Would like a shiny new CD player around £300 ish (?)
I wouldn't argue that more bang for the buck is available from buying ex-dem or even secondhand, but I was JUST FOR ONCE reading what the man said about having a nice shiny new one
biggrin.png

Our Chezi has a nice Arcam for sale in the classifieds around the £250 mark

G

DO NOT BUY THEM QUAD 11'S I HAVE SET AND THEY ARE FUCKING AWEFUL THINGS. you must not read magazines and buy what they recomend.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
but other people on the forum have 11L's and like them Rudy.

Iann, have you demoed the speakers? They do seem to divide opinion, so a demo at the local 7oaks (or other dealer) would be best.

ah - good stuff, you demoed first! In that case - enjoy the Quads!

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Iann, please feel free to ignore everything Rudolph says. The rest of us do.

Rudolph I am sick of you shouthing the same old shit at people.

Iann is not alone in liking the Quad 11l's,

£300.00 buys you a lot of CD player these days. The Cambridge Azur is very highly rated and well respected round these parts.

However I would say that S/H is a much better route at that price point. Umberto mentioned a S/H Rega Planet, and that is an excellent call IMO.

Lot's to choose from. eBay is ok, but buying from fellow forum members may be a bit safer and at least you can have a listen before you buy.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Err. Hideous?

Planet%20copy.jpg

Best looking CD player for £500.00 anywhere.. It's gorgeous!

More importantly though, it sounds Fantastic.

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
what about chezi's s/h arcam 82 with cd text? only 250, currently advertised in the classifieds. Iheard it recentlyand was very impressed with it. not quite in the same league as the

<------------- shanling
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

but a superb player nonetheless.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Biscuit wrote:

Rega? good looking? Jammy your having a laff right?
tongue.png
the top sort of reminds me of the starship enterprise. Yeah, I know I can talk, mine looks like something off the front of an ELO album cover..
76.gif.3cbb85032d80aef89d0d9e373387958a.gif
:sw:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.