Celestion SL600

Flimber

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 14, 2008
West Yorkshire
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celestion-SL600-Main-Stereo-Speakers-and-Stands-/321075785920?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item4ac19bb0c0

Now there's a set of speakers. Not sure if the dudded tweeter is beyond vacuum-salvaging (?) but am I mistaken for thinking that the stands are in fact proper Celestion ones ? I'm sure there was a Celestion speaker which came with that kind of purpose-built stand but can't recall if it was the SL600. I like these speakers anyway, I don't care (much) what anyone else thinks :nup:

Mike

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought that SL600s had a custom made stand of extruded aluminium & castings but I might be mistaken.

I recall hearing them back in the 80's a couple of times & thinking they were hopelessly insensitive, dull, undynamic & generally awful. About a year ago I was visiting dealers showing some amps and arrived at one who had a pair of SL600i's set up in his listening room. Somewhat reluctantly I wired in a pre-power combination expecting this woolly soft mess to come out. Not a bit of it. Bloody hell they were good! A real shock.

toobhead

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2012
parallel universe
AKA
Craig
I thought that SL600s had a custom made stand of extruded aluminium & castings

DSC_0011f.jpg

yep!

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
SL700's had the special stands you talk about, which screwed into the bottom of the speakers. SL600 did not have a specific stands. Don't know about the SL600i later model. The best ones are the SL700.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would like to add that you need very good and powerful amps to drive them and they need to be away from walls. Don't what ever you do buy ones with dented tweeters, non-working tweeters or bass units that the surrounds have gone, as you are fucked if you do. Tweeters unavailable and the only way to get them is to find another SL600 (they are different to the SL6, SL6i or SL700).

Great speakers that are not appreciated in the UK, but loved elsewhere.

sonyboy0444

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2009
UK
Definitely +1, and are totally sublime when with the System 6000 bass unit.

I would like to add that you need very good and powerful amps to drive them and they need to be away from walls. Don't what ever you do buy ones with dented tweeters, non-working tweeters or bass units that the surrounds have gone, as you are fucked if you do. Tweeters unavailable and the only way to get them is to find another SL600 (they are different to the SL6, SL6i or SL700). Great speakers that are not appreciated in the UK, but loved elsewhere.

Jag

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Apr 29, 2010
Rustington
AKA
Jag
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I owned a pair of Celestion SL 600 Si speakers and they were excellent sounding indeed but definitely needed a powerful amp and set up away from walls. When you got the set up right the SL600 Si speakers sounded very holographic and I regret selling them but my sound room was a bit on the small side then so could not leave them to far away from the walls.

The SL700 speakers were excellent and an evolution of the SL600 but some friends owning them complained of them sounding a bit forward, fatiguing to listen to compared to the SL 600Si, I never got to do a fair comparison but my impression was that they were a bit more exciting to listen to. Definitely would try them again if the drivers are not damaged.

nat8808

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 8, 2007
London
AKA
Nat
This auction is for a pair of Celestion SL600 Si speakers and Celestion Si stands.
They're NOT Si versions and they're NOT the Si stands.

BUT, because these now have second bi-wire connections drilled in, perhaps they've had the cross-overs modded? I thought though that the Si version had internal bracing whereas the plain SL600 didn't..

- - - Updated - - -

SL700's had the special stands you talk about, which screwed into the bottom of the speakers. SL600 did not have a specific stands. Don't know about the SL600i later model. The best ones are the SL700.
The Si did as an optional extra whereas they are part of the SL700 whole package (don't think they were sold without...).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online