wHIZZY

Measured Subjectivist
Wammer
Apr 12, 2016
Sunny Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I read this morning that many radio stations including Classic FM will shortly be ceasing standard DAB broadcasts and changing to DAB+ only.

flyingorthopod

Wammer
Dec 4, 2018
I read this morning that many radio stations including Classic FM will shortly be ceasing standard DAB broadcasts and changing to DAB+ only.
There is a paucity of dab+ tuners. I do like the convenience of switching on radio3(fm) vs Internet radio so hope I can either get dab+ or fm keeps going fir some time.

Reactions: hiesteem

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
bonkers ... will it mean millions of dab radios will be landfill?
not sure the goverment give a monekies not a clue, i still have a couple of fm radios , kitchen , my stereo, out teh garage etc,, all work fine , but i dont htink the goverment are going to be keeping up fm transmition , its costs a lot to service etc, ,

wHIZZY

Measured Subjectivist
Wammer
Apr 12, 2016
Sunny Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
not sure the goverment give a monekies not a clue, i still have a couple of fm radios , kitchen , my stereo, out teh garage etc,, all work fine , but i dont htink the goverment are going to be keeping up fm transmition , its costs a lot to service etc, ,
I've always assumed the FM & DAB network transmitters were privately owned and broadcasters paid to broadcast. Therefore government interest in decommissioning FM was solely the money they could raise from selling off the FM frequency band. Is that not the case?

Reactions: flyingorthopod

mayebaza

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2014
West Midlands
AKA
Barrington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've always assumed the FM & DAB network transmitters were privately owned and broadcasters paid to broadcast. Therefore government interest in decommissioning FM was solely the money they could raise from selling off the FM frequency band. Is that not the case?
No, Transmitters, like the Internet, origins lay as commincations back up during war.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The only time I listen to DAB is in the car. I guess that's going to change soon... welcome back FM! I reckon a lot of standard-fit car audio is going to become redundant

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am wondering what's the quality radio overwinter net ,I quiet like some FM classical .
The quality can vary from mediocre to excellent (FLAC CD streaming rate). Radio Paradise, for example is the latter. BBC bit rates are generally 320bps which is generally ok on decent kit. I’ve no idea how it sounds next to FM sources as I haven’t got the kit but it’s generally ok to my ears.

I’m not sure that DAB will last over time, as 5G roll out across cities, towns and eventually countryside locations will make internet radio access easier, even in cars.

Reactions: lowendall

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online