Wammer
Mar 26, 2007
Le Havre ; France
AKA
Didier
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello wammers,

Because of my acute upgradatisis, I am considering moving back to valves with my SHL5. My current amplification is a Croft 25 and a 7R.

I have already identified a few contenders but cannot expect to hear any of them at home or even in a shop.

One of my previous amplifiers was a Leben CS600, probably not their best model but, in spite of its 32w, it sounded well most of the time, its only flaws where huge orchestral tunes and some kind of harshness when playing loud.

According to these findings, I am rather looking for a push pull valve integrated fitted with KT88; KT90 or KT 120; 6550 are worth to be considered too, 845 might be a little be power short.

My current shortlist is the following but a few others could pop up according to your suggestions:

• Audio Research VSI60 fitted with KT120
  • Icon Audio 60 MKIII with KT120
  • Trafomatic Experienc.e Elegance with 6550.

My budget is around 2000-2500 £ for a second-hand integrated. Real vintage is not an option

Thanks for your help.

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And to totally confuse you the Audio Research VSi 60 is superb. It is releiable but can occasionally take out a resistor when a valve fails (better than the amp). The sound is big bold and ideal for big orchestral or rock. The ultra subtle SET sound is not present but boy does it rock/blow your socks off. It should work a treat with the Harbeths and I have heard such a set up. Initially you do the hifi thing and go into daft analysis mode but after some time the music just gets you and it is infectious......

Sorry no help as I have not heard the Icon Audio amp which is good value for money.

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't dismiss 845's outright. I swapped 185w per channel of SS Power amp for 20w per channel of 845 mono blocks, havnt had any problems driving my multiple speaker setup.

AlanB

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 20, 2007
West Midlands
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have just come away from valves.

John Roberts at Midland Audio Exchange has my last of many but best of the lot Mastersound Due Trenta bang on your budget.

Superb amp and John is a gent to deal with.

paulf-2007

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 18, 2008
souf east for work
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
moi aussi, swapped 130w solid state for 40w valve but only have it half way for driving 15" bass drivers.

Don't dismiss 845's outright. I swapped 185w per channel of SS Power amp for 20w per channel of 845 mono blocks, having had any problems driving my multiple speaker setup.

frog_of_toulouse

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 26, 2007
Le Havre ; France
AKA
Didier
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for your inputs.

As usual I am trying to make the perfect pick : something suitable with low and highly efficient speakers, easy to maintain, cheap but with a high resale value.....

The Icon Audio seems to be very seductive (KT150; power; RC; look) but it is totally unknown in France and would be very difficult to sale.

I have been lurking at Trafomatic for a long while but it might be a little bit less universal than the Icon Audio or than the Audio Research (fitted with with KT120) because of the 6550.

As usual, not so many options but difficult choice.

Marvt74

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2010
Higher Walton
AKA
Martyn
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Didier

Not sure if you ended up getting sorted but i have just installed the Icon Audio Stereo 60 with the KT150 valves. Its very good indeed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles