Classical SACD must-haves

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Just taken delivery of the Julia Fischer Bach Sonatas & Partitas for Solo Violin: excellent!

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
musicbox wrote:

Just listened again to this:Strauss – Also Sprach Zarathustra, Ein Heldenleben. Reiner/Chicago Symphony. RCA Living Stereo.

Its impossible to imagine that these were recorded 55 years ago. The sound is amazing.
Bought that one recently, along with the Heifetz' Sibelius etc and the Piatigorsky Walton & Dvorak: all very, very excellent & going pretty cheap on Amazon.

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
515xCnGYHoL._SS500_.jpg

Argerich eat your heart out. Freddy Kempf does it better. The 2nd is good... but the 3rd is stonking. A great balls on fire performance!

And to add to that the recording quality is fantastic.

:notworthy:BIS

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK - here it is, officially (according to me) the greatest orchestral recording ever made that I've heard :cool:

41VwSUGhb%2BL._SS400_.jpg

The BRSO are the greatest orchestra in the world. This is a magnificent recording, a sonic miracle, live from early last year. Haitink can still do it for Bruckner.

There might be one or two better performances - just occasionally there is not enough tension or expectation where Chailly or Blomstedt (recent live Gewandhaus) are better - but its wonderful all the same.

DeCameron

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2009
Scotland
AKA
DG SACD version of Beethoven/Karajan cycle is the SACD release of the 60's cycle..... that's why i didn't snap it up. i was hoping for the 70's cycle being released on SACD
Now I didn't know about this and I'm after them! I'm going to Rigoletto in Berlin this weekend so it's shopping time!

Agree with the OP, Perahia's Goldbergs are amazing, my favourite. The Concertgebouw live SACDs are wonderful, Chailly or Jansons

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online