Coloured vinyl

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't have any hard evidence, no, only personal experience. Back in the 90's and early 00's I used to dread any album that was released on coloured vinyl, they always seemed to be noisy and low-fi sounding. I only bought coloured stuff if it was a collectible or there was no other choice.

Fast forward to now, and so many albums are being pressed only on coloured vinyl it seems, but to my surprise pretty much all of the ones I've bought have sounded excellent (making allowances for the actual production itself). I'm not aware of any increase in surface noise over normal black vinyl, and generally I've found few issues with warping or mis-pressing.

The only records I still try to avoid as they do seem to suffer poor quality, is picture discs. Why that should be I don't know but the ones I've bought all seem to have unacceptable levels of background noise. Maybe it's do do with the composition of the transparent layer?

EDIT: Oh my goodness - I wrote that post before reading the article, and have just had my words repeated back to me! Spooky. At least I know my findings are on-par with other opinions!

RecordProd

Wammer
May 19, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve got loads of coloured vinyl, no difference to speak of. Picture discs are another thing entirely 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Jules_S

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I understand it the industry standard for vinyl specifically for pressing records is in fact clear, so a black record is a coloured vinyl just as pink, green & splatter patterns are.
I agree than they were more noisy at one time but that is pretty much eradicated now, the last LP I bought was green & it is perfectly quiet in terms of noise floor & surface noise.

Reactions: Jules_S

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are many picture discs released for RSDs - I never fancy any of them.

Reactions: RecordProd

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have loads. They sound the same.
In fact I have a couple that are half black/half coloured and the sound quality doesn’t alternate every second.

Mightyquin

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 15, 2016
Brighton
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't have any hard evidence, no, only personal experience. Back in the 90's and early 00's I used to dread any album that was released on coloured vinyl, they always seemed to be noisy and low-fi sounding. I only bought coloured stuff if it was a collectible or there was no other choice.

Fast forward to now, and so many albums are being pressed only on coloured vinyl it seems, but to my surprise pretty much all of the ones I've bought have sounded excellent (making allowances for the actual production itself). I'm not aware of any increase in surface noise over normal black vinyl, and generally I've found few issues with warping or mis-pressing.

The only records I still try to avoid as they do seem to suffer poor quality, is picture discs. Why that should be I don't know but the ones I've bought all seem to have unacceptable levels of background noise. Maybe it's do do with the composition of the transparent layer?

EDIT: Oh my goodness - I wrote that post before reading the article, and have just had my words repeated back to me! Spooky. At least I know my findings are on-par with other opinions!
This is exactly what I would have said - from my experience. I used to find that coloured vinyl sounded inferior and would often feel lighter/flimsy compared to a normal black copy. The first coloured vinyl I bought which sounded as good as black was Nirvana Unplugged (white vinyl). I bought a few RSD editions which are all coloured vinyl and they've all been great quality.

Reactions: chezi

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the 57 years that I've been buying albums, I've only had one on coloured vinyl. It was H.O.P.P.Y by Hapshash and the Coloured Coat Featuring the Heavy Metal Kids, on red vinyl, bought in 1967. I can't comment on how noisy it was as in 1967 my record playing equipment was an adapted radiogram, the album was subsequently used heavily and by the time I had some decent equipment, it was totally worn out. Mind you it did sell for a decent amount a few years ago at auction. I've only had two picture discs, Curved Air's Airconditioning and Bowie's Pin Ups, both sounded very good.

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No it isn't! I've had a few coloured vinyl releases that have been a bit noisy - pops/clicks.
Well obviously I can't speak for every single release, but the ones I have bought have been great. I suspect the pops & clicks you have experienced are nothing to do with what colour the records are & more to do with how they were handled prior to dispatch. I recently bought a copy of Over the Rhine's Drunkard's Prayer, new & sealed with shrinkwrap, & despite this the cover had a big chunk taken out of it & someone had used a black felt pen to try & hide the damage.

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No it isn't! I've had a few coloured vinyl releases that have been a bit noisy - pops/clicks.
Well obviously I can't speak for every single release, but the ones I have bought have been great. I suspect the pops & clicks you have experienced are nothing to do with what colour the records are & more to do with how they were handled prior to dispatch. I recently bought a copy of Over the Rhine's Drunkard's Prayer, new & sealed with shrinkwrap, & despite this the cover had a big chunk taken out of it & someone had used a black felt pen to try & hide the damage.

Reactions: mikeyb and bigrod

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Natural PVC is clear and quite flexible ,, It requires a pigment to give it rigidity .. originally this was carbon black
Carbon black is made from the incomplete combustion of of fuel oil at about 1200C “In essence soot is produced “
It is very environmentally unfriendly ..

Most other pigments are made through precipitation but are more expensive..
The early coloured pigments were very unstable “remember red cars going orange” hence black was adopted.. ..recent developments in the last 30 years In the production of high opacity pigment chemistry used across all industries has brought the costs down ..
The pigments used in coloured vinyl
are exactly the same as I use to make paint ..

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The early coloured pigments were very unstable “remember red cars going orange” hence black was adopted.. ..recent developments in the last 30 years In the production of high opacity pigment chemistry used across all industries has brought the costs down ..
probably for the same reason 1950s/60s Gibson guitars never stayed the same colour

Reactions: bigrod

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Natural PVC is clear and quite flexible ,, It requires a pigment to give it rigidity .. originally this was carbon black
Carbon black is made from the incomplete combustion of of fuel oil at about 1200C “In essence soot is produced “
It is very environmentally unfriendly ..

Most other pigments are made through precipitation but are more expensive..
Whichever pigment is used it will not be detected by a stylus as they are “ground” to <5 microns and won’t protrude above the vinyl surface ..
Any surface noise will be down to the quality of manufacture of the vinyl and the pressing ..

Nothingface

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2021
West Midlands
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Maybe contamination during pressing could be a reason...

Reactions: Speedracer

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In my experience a solid colour vinyl compared to translucent vinyl has a better SQ. As to clear vinyl I am not a fan. The pressings can be noisy . Thank god the latest Porcupine Tree 3 lp clear version on CC is excellent .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.