Component / setup advice

Pat butcher

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 9, 2013
Hi all. Need a little advice been running main pc into my Jolida Dac to MF amp.  I have now moved my system into my main lounge and don’t really want to bring my pc in.  I have an old laptop but poor storage space and slow bootup times so it a bit annoying to use. I also have a nvidia shield tv so I was thinking that I might be able to use this into my dac but not sure about getting all my music into the shield.

So what is the cheapest and most user friendly way of achieving a good set up.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers,

Pat

Last edited by a moderator:

pugster

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2013
west mids
the cheapest way would probably be to change the HD drive for a larger capacity one on the laptop reinstall windows ,turn every service off you dont need and use it specifically for audio only (i use a netbook to which i added some RAM and a bigger HD )

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A bit more info might help.

What software are you using on the computer?

Are you streaming or just playing ripped files?

Can you connect  a fanless computer to your TV or do you want headless with control apps?

How much do you want to spend (please don't say as little as possible) as little as possible?

Ronnie

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Pat,

I have not yet received or assessed the device I want to try to achieve what you are after but keep an eye on my PiPO X9S thread. A fully functional Windows 10 device plus some storage should offer you very similar options to what you have in a user friendly package. If your DAC is USB capable you are set to go. If not further spend would be required on a USB to SPDIF converter.

Pat butcher

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 9, 2013
Thanks all.

Dont really want to use the laptop. It’s an old one can’t really see booting up every time I want to listen to music.

Cable Monkey read the thread looks interesting. How is the sq on that device. I have a Nvidia shield which in theory should do the job I think. Has anyone used a shield as part of a hifi setup?

My idea is to use my main pc to stream music through Wifi to the shield. So a good android music player is also needed.  

twinpot

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 15, 2016
A better, even less obtrusive way of getting he music to your DAC/Amp would be to look at the Chromecast Audio, Gramofon, or similar. The CC will output analog into your amp or digital into the DAC. Another option could be a Raspberry Pi based unit, which you can then stream to from any other source.

radamel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2013
Western Europe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the Chromecast is an interesting device but in terms of sound quality via optical it's clearly below what I get using a fanless SSD Netbook via USB asynchronous.

Pat butcher

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 9, 2013
what about the shield? I am going to see how this works when i get a chance.

I will let you know.

?

twinpot

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 15, 2016
Does the Shield support USB OTG? If so, you could connect it to a USB DAC, then into the amp. You can use it as a Spotify connect output, and with other Android apps, have it act as an AirPlay speaker, etc for streaming, or use any number of streaming services directly, or access files on the PC via CiFS, uPNP, etc.

Look at apps like AllConnect that will allow you to play files pretty much from anywhere to anywhere. You can still use a CC, Gramfon, AirPlay device connected to your stereo, and use the Shield as your remote/controller. Given the price of the devices mentioned, you're not wasting much money by experimenting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat butcher

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 9, 2013
Yes the shield works, its not easy to get it onto a windows server thou. Also I am not sure about the sq but its has so many settings. I used it within kodi. Might need to experiment more. What is USB OTG?

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.