Couriers

Hertz

Wammer
Jan 11, 2022
Just checking with you guys about the general experience with couriers while shipping fragile gear like speakers. Ae there any premium services available that guarantee 100 percent safety while shipping within UK ?

PeteT59

Wammer
Jul 20, 2020
Brighton
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not sure anyone will 'guarantee' 100% safe delivery, though all will imply the safety of your package of course.

If they're expensive items, then suitable insurance cover and Inspection on delivery would be advisable - check the small print for making claims before arranging collection.

Having said that, taking a trip to collect them, if that's at all feasible, is the safest thing.

Or ask if a WAM taxi is available of course...

Good luck

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From my own experiences UPS have been one of the better couriers, but even then I've experienced problems with them "losing" a consignment (that was me as a buyer, not a seller). Thankfully the seller was able to make a claim for loss of the item and they paid out without quibble. But as Pete says, there's no such thing as a 100% guarantee. Even a WAM taxi, unfortunately, although chances are far greater that the items won't get unceremoniously lobbed around in the back of a van!

Reactions: MVJ and Hertz

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just checking with you guys about the general experience with couriers while shipping fragile gear like speakers. Ae there any premium services available that guarantee 100 percent safety while shipping within UK ?
Depending on their size get them delivered on a pallet so that they can’t be thrown about. If they are newish small speakers and in the original box, and then in a further box, then they should be ok if the boxes are in as-new condition.  Many manufacturers double box their products. If the owner will pack then in my experience even some shops don’t know how to pack. I have sold and sent many self packed premium vintage synths all over the world using standard couriers (non-pallet) without a single issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: andya and Hertz

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From my own experiences UPS have been one of the better couriers, but even then I've experienced problems with them "losing" a consignment (that was me as a buyer, not a seller). Thankfully the seller was able to make a claim for loss of the item and they paid out without quibble. But as Pete says, there's no such thing as a 100% guarantee. Even a WAM taxi, unfortunately, although chances are far greater that the items won't get unceremoniously lobbed around in the back of a van!
+1 for UPS had issues with pretty much all the usual suspects even has a parcel (4 845 valves) lobbed over the back gate by DPD but nothing broken thankfully.

Reactions: Hertz

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Last edited by a moderator:

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
+2 for UPS but still make sure you pack anything you send assuming it's going to be dropped, thrown and/or run over.
Additionally they will only tell you when they are coming to the nearest day and won’t text you an hour before like other couriers might, and of course they often don’t turn up on the designated day anyway. Nice vans though.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Additionally they will only tell you when they are coming to the nearest day and won’t text you an hour before like other couriers might, and of course they often don’t turn up on the designated day anyway. Nice vans though.
I like DPD for this reason. Many proaudio shops in the UK use DPD. I know one that uses them and never insures anything never having had any loses and they send thousands of products per year. 

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like DPD for this reason. Many proaudio shops in the UK use DPD. I know one that uses them and never insures anything never having had any loses and they send thousands of products per year. 
Yes, I've had much better service from DPD than UPS too. But I've had more problems with UPS than any other courier.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Pack them as if they are the Crown Jewels 

A couple of extra quid on filling and an outer box with good quality tape makes all the difference..

Spend the time and package your item properly,, it’s not rocket science..

Look at what your  gear came in ,, if new .

Purpose made foam surrounds and double boxed is the norm nowadays .. 

it’s not worth trying to send things on the cheap

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve never had any courier do that.

John Lewis, M&S Home and AO all do when you buy from them but couriers, whose sole job it is to deliver stuff? Nope, never!

The world seems a bit topsy-turvy sometimes…

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ive done 3 Wam Taxis now Jules, totalling 1800 miles, and I havent broken anything yet..! :D

Jack NSM

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suppose that we should ask if you are posting or receiving. 

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ive done 3 Wam Taxis now Jules, totalling 1800 miles, and I havent broken anything yet..! :D

Jack NSM
I have absolute faith in you, Jack 🙂 Just pointing out that there are no guarantees in life. Circumstances outside your control (e.g. some idiot driving too fast and crashing into you) is always a possibility. God forbid it happens, of course! From a simple "duty of care" perspective, WAM taxi wins out every time 👍🏼

Reactions: Non-Smoking Man

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
These threads pop up regularly and everyone is always recommending couriers that delivered goods undamaged. I don't think anyone has ever posted a positive experience when they've had to make a claim. That would be useful information. Who actually covers the stuff without quibble?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online